Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

My thanks PDH, it didn?t say anything on the packaging. I will repaint these as Jersey?s at least they will do temporarily. I can check the colour out on the web.  I presume I?m ok with the breed in my time period ie, the late 1950?s to early 1960?s

Jersey's absolutely fine for your time period.  A Google search informs me Jerseys are known to habe existed in the UK mainland since 1741 and probably well before that. Today there are several large herds near me here in Devon.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

They are classed as Jerseys. I think they a too bulky to be Jersey though as they are a small fine boned cow. I would repaint them as Freisians or perhaps Ayrshires or Brown Swiss or maybe even Guernseys. I think that particular mould would be better suited to those breeds.

Thanks for the updated pictures great as ever.

I have sme pics of said breeds that I have repainted in the Anuimals section of the forum under Animal conversions.

I have just been looking at pictures of Jersey?s and I think you are right TBF they are more delicate looking than my models. I think I?ll take the easy option and paint them as Fresians,  we have a herd at the farm at the back of our house, so I can use those for reference.

I remember as a lad a local farm had Ayrshires  lovely white and brown cattle with very large horns.

A general view of the yard with the now repaired Porter with its short train leaving for the piggery. The Opel will follow pushing a couple of wagons. I think it?s called permissive block working in railway terms.

p1010012ha4.jpg

A bird?s eye view looking down the layout towards the fiddle yard.

p1010013wx9.jpg

A side view of the whole thing, when I looked at  this you I thought, ?what the devil have you been doing all this time?. I don?t think there is one item I have been able to use straight out of the box as it were without modifying it in one way or another.

p1010014if3.jpg

p1010003uv3.jpg

The greenhouse is now almost complete, in the end I raised the beds to fill it up a bit more.. There are still a few things to be done, handles for the doors for instance and painting, but overall I?m not displeased with it. The tomato plants are wire and flock, and the canes to hold them upright are cocktail sticks. The tomatoes themselves are simply blobs of thick acrylic paint. I tried a painted background but it didn?t look right.

I?m test running the Wasp and the Barclay using my bent wire couplings on the KD fitted stock and they work remarkably well.

p1010004ij1.jpg

I used to be a commercial artist so I understand the rules of perspective. The problem is the vanishing point is at your eye level and as you move about, it goes with you.

The real green house on the Nacton Estate was very long with a 2 foot narrow gauge railway running the length of it. I?m afraid viewers are going to have to use their imaginations TBF.

I used to be a commercial artist so I understand the rules of perspective. The problem is the vanishing point is at your eye level and as you move about, it goes with you.

The real green house on the Nacton Estate was very long with a 2 foot narrow gauge railway running the length of it. I?m afraid viewers are going to have to use their imaginations TBF.

Ah okay I understand, just had another look at the second pic and viewed from that angle it looks ok. Don't really notice that it is just the sky in the greenhouse.

Lovely job :)

p1010010mu3.jpg

The Barclay now festooned with chains and ropes rumbles past the yard foreman?s hut and cold frame. Tending his prize marrows keeps him occupied between trains.

The hut interior needs another coat of paint and general finishing with  small details adding.

p1010011bb0.jpg

Having a clear out and tidy up in the workshop means all the tractors are out working in the fields. The Barclay lurches over the points on its way into the yard.

I?ve got some real coal to crush into small pieces to put on the coaling stage. I think this is one of my favourite pictures so far.

you can almost smell the fumes , the ripenin tomatoes  etc from this SUPER DETAILED  as real as they come set up...........I`m very impressed! great greenhouse oh and that oak tree......... :)

straight from the top drawer

A minor bit of a question here, how did you make the tufted grass at the foot of the small wall of the coal bunker?

That Oak tree is a king, looks so lifelike in there casting a mighty shadow over everything below it. I can't believe you have managed to make such a relatively small display look so damn real, without the easy mistake of making it appear overcrowded. The size, content, detail and scale of everything is just superb.

Thanks for your kind comments Tris, the long grass is actually made of the bristles from an old shaving brush dyed green. I think the material is synthetic rather than real hair. I glue it with a little white PVA . You can also drill small holes in the baseboard and glue in small clumps of grass. Woodland Scenics do a range of materials for railway modellers, well worth a look in your local model shop.

Lovely, thanks for that. It would be handy if you could buy it in lengths on backing tape wouldn't it, be a doddle for walls,around barms etc. I've a very good model shop not far from me so I will have to jot that down and remember to ask.

I have taken a few pictures looking towards the front of the layout by way of a change.

It?s the little Barclay again rolling into the yard pushing a wagon of Welsh steam coal for the Porter 0-4-2 tank engine  to burn.

p1010016uu8.jpg

p1010017ml9.jpg

like the set mate

Archived