Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry if i missed this bit, what did you do to the frame of the atcost barn to make it look better ???, apart from paint it!. Have you used a filler to give it that concrete effect?? :-\ :-\

and as usual, stunning detail!! ;D ;D ;D

I filled the hollow parts of the supports with Polyfilla and filed them to shape FB. Then I painted the legs with matt Humbrol paints using a mix of white, tan and pale yellow I also mixed into the paint a little dry Polyfilla to give it a texture. Practice on a bit of scrap first I always do when trying a method you?ve not tried before. Hope this helps.

Many thanks to all of you for your kind comments they are much appreciated.

p1010002ir3.jpg

It?s the last leg, adding the small details, all the structures are glued in place. Like the ground cover I?m adding details a few at a time, and checking to see how it all looks.

The jeep body is now mounted on the Bachmann streetcar chassis it?s a bit on the tall side but will have to do for the foreman. It is only for him to get round the estate to check on what is going on in the far flung corners. Or to get some spare parts or fuel out to a tractor to get the job finished on time.

The cart covered by the tarpaulin is the Tamiya field kitchen actually, but I?m pretending it?s some sort of horse drawn implement that is no longer used on the farm.

p1010003hw5.jpg

The tarpaulin is a piece of soft toilet tissue cut to a square shape then carefully wetted with dilute PVA glue. Be very careful at this stage because the tissue is easily split. Allow the thin glue coat to harden overnight. When dry give it another coat of dilute PVA glue but a bit thicker this time allow to dry thoroughly. Paint the tarp to the colour of your choice, I used acrylics and gave it two coats, this helps stiffen it up. When dry a wash of dirty grey was brushed over it. Do this carefully as it is easy to overdo it. When the wash is dry a flick over it with a dry brush of off white or light grey will give it some hi-lights.

p1010004ux3.jpg

A couple of views looking down on the jeep arriving in the  yard area. It shows how versatile the jeep is, being able to carry a small load on the platform at the back. It is also fitted with link and pin couplings so can push or pull a few wagons if needed to.

p1010005qy2.jpg

p1010009gi1.jpg

A close up of the jeep outside the engine shed, the tarpaulin in the back of the Opel truck is made of toilet tissue soaked in glue then painted. A few more tools have been added to the balsa wood bench in the corner of the engine shed, the stone floor is Polyfilla scribed and painted dark grey then washed over with dilute black ink.

trac1gq7.jpg

The barn with two tractors being worked on is only 95mm deep, the false back is painted matt black. It is a trick called low relief used to give an impression of greater size. You can get more from your buildings by using this technique and it saves space.

p1010002iq7.jpg

It looks as if the foreman has cycled to work today, he?s left his bike leaning up against his hut. Still wearing his bike clips he?s just in time to see the little 0-4-2 Porter No 1 setting off, pushing a rake of flat wagons under the bridge. The cows are being brought in from the fields for early morning milking.

p1010010wd5.jpg

The Davenport arriving with an empty flat wagon and rolling past the log sawing operation. Note the axe left in the wood being split, this should have been fixed to the side of the jeep really. There is only room for two tractors at a time on the layout so I haven?t glued the two Fordsons down. That way I can ring the changes and come a bit more up to date if I want to.

2s1qp4.jpg

2s2jq3.jpg

2s3fc9.jpgWell that is about it. The layout is finished more or less at last. The last three views show the whole thing. I shall keep looking at the site to see how you are all getting on with your farms. If there is anything I can help any of you with all you have to do is ask.

I am waiting for a Tamiya 6x6 GMC truck to convert for use on the railway like the Opel and the Chevrolet, so I will post details of how I?ve done that when it arrives.

I have very much enjoyed sharing my progress on Two sister?s Farm with you all. Perhaps I will get to meet some of you at shows in the future, especially at Toytrac.

Best Wishes Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought a bump to remind everyone about the Cheshire Model Railways Club exhibition at The Railway Age Vernon Way Crewe on Sunday 27th January. Two Sister?s Farm will be there along with about 15 other layouts, so there is something for everyone to enjoy.

The picture shows the 0-4-2 Porter rumbling past the tractor workshop with the first train of the day. The two tractors being serviced suggest a date in the early 1960?s.

p1010009db8.jpg

Archived