Tractor (Formerly Tractor & Farming Heritage) Magazine.

How many of you read this one?  It now sports a very good model section in which Peter Love has a big input. Peter as you know started up Tractor & Machinery Magazine 14 years ago but has now left, I can't go into the detail about all that but in the current issue, November, there is a four page section on whats coming, auction news, short bit on a Britain's MF135 restoration, Scaledown and a couple other bits, one being the new UH 'Black Diamond' Valtra that is imminent.

I am told, space permitting, that included in this section in the December issue (out 13th Nov) will be a fairly comprehensive 'one persons' collection featured linked together with real tractors and also a feature  on a local model dealer.    I personally quite like this magazine as it includes other farming interest, not just tractors and machinery. Worth a look I would say.

I get "Tractor" about as often as I get "CT" which isn't that often over here. Nearest retailer is 200 miles away (I don't just pop down to the newsagents :D)

I like it, in some ways, I prefer it to "CT", it seems to cover a wider time span which I'm surprised appeals to me since I profess to have little interest in pre 1965 stuff. My Dad likes to read it and he usually has a tractor related anecdote inspired by an article after he's done reading it.

There was some hint in an earlier "Tractor" issue about them widening their scope wasn't there?

The magazine is starting to widen it's 'horizons' a little, they have started this by adding the model section and I beleive that they also intend to do more 'profile' stuff such as individuals collections. At present, other than that, I'm certain what is in the pipeline but when I hear anything I'll let you know.

Powerabbit: is your real name Peter Love by any chance?

No Rory. To be honest I've never even met Peter although we do communicate regularly. Would not go without CT though, in fact I take all the magazines, variety is the spice of life!  ;)

How many of you read this one?  It now sports a very good model section in which Peter Love has a big input. Peter as you know started up Tractor & Machinery Magazine 14 years ago but has now left, I can't go into the detail about all that but in the current issue, November, there is a four page section on whats coming, auction news, short bit on a Britain's MF135 restoration, Scaledown and a couple other bits, one being the new UH 'Black Diamond' Valtra that is imminent.

I am told, space permitting, that included in this section in the December issue (out 13th Nov) will be a fairly comprehensive 'one persons' collection featured linked together with real tractors and also a feature  on a local model dealer.    I personally quite like this magazine as it includes other farming interest, not just tractors and machinery. Worth a look I would say.

I'm a subscriber to all the current tractor & related magazines and I have to say each are good in their own way but in my opinion "tractor" is the best publiction for my interests.

BBLQ092,

Exactly, everyone has their own favourite magazines, depending on their own personal interests. For example, I know Classic Tractor, the magazine I edit, is unlikely to appeal to anyone who is interested in the older vintage machines from the 1940s and 1950s, or for that matter anyone who has a passion for rural life, an area that is nicely covered by 'Tractor', because we never include these topics in the magazine.

We could, I suppose, pitch ourselves more at the T&M/Tractor market, but then that would create a scenario whereby 3 magazines were competing directly with one another and offering more or less the same stories. Our focus on post-1965 machines works well and is successful so I see no reason for changing it.

Variety is the spice of life and I accept that you can't always be all things to all men, however hard you try!

R Day

BBLQ092,

Exactly, everyone has their own favourite magazines, depending on their own personal interests. For example, I know Classic Tractor, the magazine I edit, is unlikely to appeal to anyone who is interested in the older vintage machines from the 1940s and 1950s, or for that matter anyone who has a passion for rural life, an area that is nicely covered by 'Tractor', because we never include these topics in the magazine.

We could, I suppose, pitch ourselves more at the T&M/Tractor market, but then that would create a scenario whereby 3 magazines were competing directly with one another and offering more or less the same stories. Our focus on post-1965 machines works well and is successful so I see no reason for changing it.

Variety is the spice of life and I accept that you can't always be all things to all men, however hard you try!

R Day

I agree totally with your comments Rory. Although I have no interest in collecting real classic tractors ( prefering the 1940's and 1950's ones) I will still subscibe to CT because I still want to know and read about these classic tractors and machines many of which I have forgotten whilst growing up in my teens and losing interest since tractors weren't a "cool" thing to collect or have at that age....

Rory.      I am in total agreement with your comments, as you say no publication can be all things to all men (or women). Any publication that shares a similar feild of interest should not be competitive but should follow their individual style to cater for those it was originally designed for or aimed at. When competition starts creeping into into things, this is where I, and I feel many others would agree, things start to go 'down-hill' in the quality of article and content. Reading other magazines, not of a farming nature I may add, when another similarly aimed publication is brought to the market, you can see that there is competition by reading 'between the lines' and they start to 'refer' to each others articles in a contradictory way rather than in a constuctive manner and the reader gets 'left out'.      Rory, you are right, I know exactly your train of thought, leave it as it is, if it is'nt up to the mark, the readers will let you know. Readers, they are the most important element. I say, if it's working, leave it alone. Keep it up!!!  ;)  ;)

BBLQ092,

Thanks for your support, which is most appreciated.

I think it's important for all magazines to provide their own unique material and retain their own flavour, thus avoiding duplication. Having said that, there is always going to be some cross-over of show and news coverage. To those who say that all three magazines, or five if you include Vintage Tractor and Old Tractor, cover the same news, show, auction topics I would say this: If England won the world cup, would the Daily Mail ignore the story just because they knew the Sun and Mirror were also going to cover it! Of course not, that's why some 'tractor' stories appear across all mags. The main difference is how you report and present the various topics and the quality of the journalism.

Regards

R Day

Dear Powerrabbit,

Hear, hear. It is all about maintaining your integrity and character.

In the past, there have been some editors who have resented any form of competition from other titles, with rival titles being regarded as the 'enemy'. I beg to differ on this because I have always believed that competition in any market is good. Without it, people become complacent because they know they've got the market wrapped up and don't actually have to try that hard. In other words they coast.

The harder editors and writers strive to be the best in their particular field, the better the magazine becomes and that is passed on to the readers who, at the end of the day, are the ones that really matter. I know that sounds a bit corny but it's true.

It's a bit like being a runner: if you've got a rival breathing down your neck you run a bit faster to stay in front. I'm not saying CT is out in front because T&M is the market leader, but just making the point that fierce competition is good for the readers, if not the editors who might be caught up in the battle to see 'Who's best'.

There has been a dramatic change in the tractor magazine market since 2002. If you compare today's mags with those of 2001 and 2002 the difference is absolutely amazing in terms of size of issue and quality of content. Having more competition in the market has done that.

R Day

BBLQ092,

I think it's important for all magazines to provide their own unique material and retain their own flavour, thus avoiding duplication. Having said that, there is always going to be some cross-over of show and news coverage. To those who say that all three magazines, or five if you include Vintage Tractor and Old Tractor, cover the same news, show, auction topics I would say this: If England won the world cup, would the Daily Mail ignore the story just because they knew the Sun and Mirror were also going to cover it! Of course not, that's why some 'tractor' stories appear across all mags. The main difference is how you report and present the various topics and the quality of the journalism.

Regards

R Day

No fear of that happening anyway!  ;D ;D ;D

BBLQ092,

Regards

R Day

Indeed Rory and keep up the good work.

PS I claim to get six magazines since I include Farm & Horticultural Equipment magazine since I have a ransomes MG2 crawler and various rotovators and lawnmowers too.