Advice please for Marky...

Lord Ferguson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what ever option you take ya fanny is too small, a smaller dump trailer is the best option, i very much doubt you will tip the trailer shown due to oil capasity and as others have said if it sticks then drops in a lump you will fill ya pants! the gree trailer is a no go as if you add a tank you will add weight and end up more than the dump trailer, also dump is handy for waste and rubble etc if needed ;) you could buy an old weeks chassie at a farm sale and have a bodie made to fit, someone in classic tractor makes bodies to all sizes (cant remember name :-[) have you tried easterby trailers near driffield e.yorks? think they could help, tell them what you want and they will sort you out or triffit trailers at full sutton, york.

why not get the dump trailer and a cheep larger tractor? mf 575 etc ;) more toys to play with

im driving a jd 6820 at the moment with a 12 or 14 ton (depends which one) dump trailer and there well suited but i had a 14 ton dump trailer on a massey 6180 the other year and it wouldnt tip it :o hyds make all the difference

Hey marky i would just keep the tanker and do it the way you have been but instead of using the vacume part of the tanker to try n blow the stuff out you will need a scroll and stator pump that will easily pump the starch out and fanny would have enough pto power to drive it

a pump like a wangen or similar

ill try to find a link for ya mate

Nick

what ever option you take ya fanny is too small, a smaller dump trailer is the best option, i very much doubt you will tip the trailer shown due to oil capasity and as others have said if it sticks then drops in a lump you will fill ya pants! the gree trailer is a no go as if you add a tank you will add weight and end up more than the dump trailer, also dump is handy for waste and rubble etc if needed ;) you could buy an old weeks chassie at a farm sale and have a bodie made to fit, someone in classic tractor makes bodies to all sizes (cant remember name :-[) have you tried easterby trailers near driffield e.yorks? think they could help, tell them what you want and they will sort you out or triffit trailers at full sutton, york.

why not get the dump trailer and a cheep larger tractor? mf 575 etc ;) more toys to play with

im driving a jd 6820 at the moment with a 12 or 14 ton (depends which one) dump trailer and there well suited but i had a 14 ton dump trailer on a massey 6180 the other year and it wouldnt tip it :o hyds make all the difference

Thanks Mike.... I'll investigate the names you have quoted... thanks for the advice... I don't think I have the time, space, or MONEY to buy another tractor really  :-\ - Much as I would loooooooove one as well  :P

Hey marky i would just keep the tanker and do it the way you have been but instead of using the vacume part of the tanker to try n blow the stuff out you will need a scroll and stator pump that will easily pump the starch out and fanny would have enough pto power to drive it

a pump like a wangen or similar

ill try to find a link for ya mate

Nick

Thanks Nick... we have tried "blowing it" out but it just sticks soild.. the problem is... the outlet is in the bottom of the tank... so the starch is sat right over the hole... about 3 ft deep  :-\ :-[ :'(

I have I have it how about an old muck spreader ;D

Our 3600 similar power to the 410`can handle 6t of barley but don't send her near hills - she will nearly tip 10t trailers but maybe they have more oil in the back axle ???

I think a custom built job would be best ;)

I have I have it how about an old muck spreader ;D

Our 3600 similar power to the 410`can handle 6t of barley but don't send her near hills - she will nearly tip 10t trailers but maybe they have more oil in the back axle ???

I think a custom built job would be best ;)

Thanks Colm....

Just an update....

I have had a 2 hour meeting with my local engineering firm this morning... he reckons he may be able to modify my current trailer to filter the starch as one unit... some engineering work to do... but less capital cost... and more space in my yard (which is a real plus for us)..

The real bummer is that I don't get to buy a trailer  :-\

Thanks Colm....

Just an update....

I have had a 2 hour meeting with my local engineering firm this morning... he reckons he may be able to modify my current trailer to filter the starch as one unit... some engineering work to do... but less capital cost... and more space in my yard (which is a real plus for us)..

The real bummer is that I don't get to buy a trailer  :-\

and Mrs F is happy ;) ;)

and Mrs F is happy ;) ;)

More my co-Directors on this occasion  :D :D :'(

4 pages of trailer info and you now dont need one ::)  idea, money and space saved you can now get an extra tractor ;)

Umm... problem is Mike... it will be an MF240 I reckon - out of the fireplace and into the fire  :D :D :D::)

here marky i thought came to my head when i was in bed last nite, what about a trailer tipper that tips by the PTO?? bit of a modification but it would be ok :-\

???

Great idea Matty.... that would solve my oil problem  ;) - clever fella

Just a thought, suddenly struck me, Bulmers at Hereford used to haul the apple waste away in a rotaspreader,if your starch stuff is similar wouldn't this work for you?

Another cracking idea... the problem is... it's really got to be eaten - it makes an awful mess of grass and soil.... we droped about 1T of pur starch on my mates field once... 4 years ago... He's still go the "dead zone" where everything grows to about 1/4 of the size of the rest of the field  :-[

if the engineers recon they can modify your current trailer then mark,is that the baillys or the slurry tanker?? i take it that means you wouldn't  be able to use fanny  and carry on useing the farmer you use at the min to remove the waste,

yes indedy Sean... modify the Bailey... get rid of the slurry tanker... and poor old Fanny stays in the shed  :'( :'(

You said it's got to be eaten Marky, what do you feed it to? How about tipping it in an old feeder wagon.

It goes to 250 head of bull beef I believe Allis... I have never seen it being fed to be honest... are feeder wagons water tight though  :-\

We use the dump trailer as it's quite a "wet" blend  :-\

Scoozy please. May I poke my nose in with a very simple solution to your problem. Your slurry tanker wont pump out the starch because it sits in the bottom as a solid.

To get it out you need a way of getting the solids into suspension again. My suggestion is that you could have some perforated tubes welded in the length of the bottom of the tanker.

You may need two or three tubes in the bottom of the tanker to agitate all the solids. The tubes would be fitted with the air holes facing downwards so they don't fill up with solids rendering them useless. I would suggest you use pipes of about two inches in diameter, joined together by a manifold which would allow air to rush into the front end of all the tubes at the same time, to give maximum effect.

No need to buy a new trailer, all you need is three holes cut in the front end of the tanker for the tubes to go through. The rear end of the tubes would be joined  by a manifold inside the tanker as you will still need to be able to open the rear door for cleaning. The pipes can be similarly joined at the front and fitted with a large spherical ball type tap open to the atmosphere. (About a three inch tap) As I said earlier, build up the vacuum in the tanker, open the air valve and the air rushing in will put the solids back in suspension long enough for it to be blown out of the gate valve on the back door.

Hope you understand what I'm getting at, otherwise I may have to resort to drawing an explanation of what I'm trying to explain. Whatever you do, don't go spending loads of money yet.  ;):)

Scoozy please. May I poke my nose in with a very simple solution to your problem. Your slurry tanker wont pump out the starch because it sits in the bottom as a solid.

To get it out you need a way of getting the solids into suspension again. My suggestion is that you could have some perforated tubes welded in the length of the bottom of the tanker.

You may need two or three tubes in the bottom of the tanker to agitate all the solids. The tubes would be fitted with the air holes facing downwards so they don't fill up with solids rendering them useless. I would suggest you use pipes of about two inches in diameter, joined together by a manifold which would allow air to rush into the front end of all the tubes at the same time, to give maximum effect.

No need to buy a new trailer, all you need is three holes cut in the front end of the tanker for the tubes to go through. The rear end of the tubes would be joined  by a manifold inside the tanker as you will still need to be able to open the rear door for cleaning. The pipes can be similarly joined at the front and fitted with a large spherical ball type tap open to the atmosphere. (About a three inch tap) As I said earlier, build up the vacuum in the tanker, open the air valve and the air rushing in will put the solids back in suspension long enough for it to be blown out of the gate valve on the back door.

Hope you understand what I'm getting at, otherwise I may have to resort to drawing an explanation of what I'm trying to explain. Whatever you do, don't go spending loads of money yet.  ;):)

Brilliant idea William... many many thanks  ;D - By Jove... I reckon you've cracked it mate.... I'll have a word with our engineers tomorrow... we do have another simple mod to try first... but I don't hold out too much hope for that being the solution to my problems - the more time goes on... the more I think it won't work so well  :-\

Thanks once again William... you are a gent... thats a beer or two I owe you mate  ;)

Brilliant idea William... many many thanks  ;D - By Jove... I reckon you've cracked it mate.... I'll have a word with our engineers tomorrow... we do have another simple mod to try first... but I don't hold out too much hope for that being the solution to my problems - the more time goes on... the more I think it won't work so well  :-\

Thanks once again William... you are a gent... thats a beer or two I owe you mate  ;)

Sme again. Once you've discussed it with your engineers; if there's anything they don't understand; send me a message and I'll do my best to help explain. If they want a picture or a natter, I will happily speak to them. One other thought I've had is about the size of the airholes. They would need to be about half an inch so they don't block up too readily, and may need to be graduated in size to make sure of optimum airflow at the back of the tanker. They must be facing downwards though. If in their opinion the idea might not work; they may be able to develop it and have some ideas on how it may work better. It may be better to have the holes angled towards the front so they dont collect starch so easily when the liquid comes in from the back. Catch ya later.