MJB1's MASSEY FERGUSON 168

MJB1

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see her moving under her own steam - bet your glad she's home now Marcus ;)

was a good drive home colm, &was glad to see it where i can get to it as & when i want to  :)

very good marcus all the best with her ;) that thing should go head to head with simons 3140 :o

think simon would have the upper hand jdm , but simons tractor will suit him well seeing as he'll actually give it some serious work , the 31 he bought looks a nice tractor & well looked after  :)

Looking good Marcus!! Well the tractor is!! Not sure about that hat.

At least you don't look like Po in those overalls as I do! According to Markey! :D :D

thanks kev , i thought the hat suited me  :-[

as for the overalls , either my stomach got smaller on the trip home or the overalls had stretched as they were getting quite comfortable by the time i took them off :)

Ben

for the record mate she's done 1407 recorded hours , so the numpty can go mate ;);D

of course there is the danger it's on the second time round the clock  :D :D :D :D 

but the engine sounds & runs sweet as a nut  ;D

Ben

for the record mate she's done 1407 recorded hours , so the numpty can go mate ;);D

of course there is the danger it's on the second time round the clock  :D :D :D :D 

but the engine sounds & runs sweet as a nut  ;D

if that's true...she's only just run in - years of life left  :D

if that's true...she's only just run in - years of life left  :D

thats probably why it runs as well as it does , real nice crisp exhaust note to it john , smooth running & very responsive, it needs very little in the way of a heat if any to start & doesn't spend forever & a day turning over to fire up  :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

bit of an update to what i found out , contrary to my belief this local tractor has spent some time in wales , well chepstow, & i am now her 3rd owner , or second if you take the dealer out of the equasion, it was registered from new on 06-02-73 was sold to the dealer on 27-11-07 who never registered it & i bought it on 09-01-08

so effectively i'm it's proper 2nd owner  ;D ;D ;D ;D

will try & contact the first owner to see if i can find out more  or at least to confirm the hours :)

bit of an update to what i found out , contrary to my belief this local tractor has spent some time in wales , well chepstow, & i am now her 3rd owner , or second if you take the dealer out of the equasion, it was registered from new on 06-02-73 was sold to the dealer on 27-11-07 who never registered it & i bought it on 09-01-08

so effectively i'm it's proper 2nd owner  ;D ;D ;D ;D

will try & contact the first owner to see if i can find out more  or at least to confirm the hours :)

Well done mate... 3 days before her birthday then  ;D - you never count the dealer with cars... so I can't see why you'd count it for tractors  :-\

Would be great to get her entire history wouldn't it  :P

managed to get the auto hitch carrigde down & fit the 500 series parts  :)

one of the carridge baseplate bolts had worked loose so got that tightened up first off

Picture079-1.jpg

as with most tractors that are little used the top link bracket pins were in tight , was easier to unbolt the lower pto surround bracket to take out the old parts to fit the replacement parts as well as loosening the pins

Picture084.jpg

picture of the lift linkage fitted

Picture077-1.jpg

a complete 500 series auto hitch fitted working & complete with the hook as opposed to the drawbar

Picture075-1.jpg

Big improvement Marcus. Do still have a 'swinging' drawbar to fit that hitch too?

Those studs under the axle could be a pain once they started coming loose - loctite and a big tube on a 3/4 drive socket fixed them  :D

still have the heavy duty drawbar john, & it is a very big improvement , chains were prone to stretching & then yer forever putting bolts in to take up the slack  till new chains were fitted , of which they were very rarely replaced at all :(

Don't overtighten them mate.... if they are studs it's not so bad... but if they are threaded in the casting... strip em and the casting is junk  :o :o :o :o :o

Good work though... do you want the torque settings for them... I did mine with a torque wrench recently  ;)

i have them tightend with a normal spanner at the moment , every time i got half way the head nut would start to thread it's way up to the casting , so wasn't gaining anything , so turned them the other way & it went ok , not too worried as it as good as retired so will be easy to keep an eye on them.

managed to get hold of old owners son , not very talkative but the news is , the 1400 hrs are genuine

the farm in question is a hill farm ,mainly sheep so not a great deal for a tractor to do !, most work for her was taking feed out for feeding in winter time a bit of dung spreading fert & occasional loader work the rear tyres are also original . wasnt going to press for anymore info as was loosing the will to live  :D :D :D:-\

I think that was the main problem, the studs could vary as to how much they had been screwed in, and IIRC the stud is coarse thread and the visible part is fine thread.. We used to double nut them and screw the stud with loctite in as far as it would go then firm up the nut after a while.  :)