For all you Massey Lovers... ever wondered what PAVT meant... or how it works

Interesting so why did it not catch on then. Would there not be a week link in the welds?

well... it did.. kind of catch on.. I think the weak part was the pressed steel centres - they went to cast ones at some stage... I think it could be described as a fashion thing really... at one or more points in time the majority of 100 and 500 series tractors around my way were sold with PAVT's - then again... for some time you would not see a single new tractor sporting them.... strange really  :-\

Trying to up your brochure totals then?  :D :D

I think in 'those days' most people just altered wheel settings once and the wheels were like that for life, so they were useful but not used to their full potential. :)

Trying to up your brochure totals then?  :D :D

I think in 'those days' most people just altered wheel settings once and the wheels were like that for life, so they were useful but not used to their full potential. :)

Thats interesting John... so would it be fair to say that in the "olden days" wheels were less likely to be changed (for width setting) than in more modern times ???

I would have thought (not sure why)... that it would be more common to change wheel settings in the good old days... well... more than it is today  :-\ ???

PAVT wheels were a bugger when someone had not tightened the nuts properly etc, they used to wear the square rails and cause the wheel to buckle, then ya either build them up of set ya wheels out, but once buckled it was hard to get them back

on the flip side, cast centres gave the tractor more weight where it mattered

gone are the days of adjusting wheels in and out every 5 minutes too...........(the te-20 days)

Ah... you see in December 1947 Harry Ferguson invented the.......

Nar... I'll stop there... it's not fair for us Fergie lovers to keep pinching the limelight... we'll let you have that small, insignificent victory Allis... SO LONG AS YOU STAND UP AND TELL THE CLASS MASSEY FERGUSON ARE BEST  ;D

Ah... you see in December 1947 Harry Ferguson invented the.......

Nar... I'll stop there... it's not fair for us Fergie lovers to keep pinching the limelight... we'll let you have that small, insignificent victory Allis... SO LONG AS YOU STAND UP AND TELL THE CLASS MASSEY FERGUSON ARE BEST  ;D

Fair comment Marky , Massey Ferguson are the best, but so often Allis were the first, first PAVT wheels, first production turbo diesel tractor, first production 100hp + tractor, etc.

Fair comment Marky , Massey Ferguson are the best, but so often Allis were the first, first PAVT wheels, first production turbo diesel tractor, first production 100hp + tractor, etc.

:D :D :D ALLL RIGHT ALL RIGHT....  :o :o :o Stop going on  :D :D :D :D  >:(

Were they really the first turbo tractor people ??? - what year was that... out of interest  ???

PAVT wheels were a very expensive optional extra at a time when the average farm seldom changed track widths. Most farms that needed to change track widths usually had tractors that stayed on the relevant track widths all year or perhaps only changed once/twice a year and didn't want the extra weight or cost of the pavts.