End of an era

JC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will be taking down the concrete frame barn for putting up somewhere else jason , do you gun the post out or break off  :-\ i know a lot that i see down here have concrete rot and all the reinforcing showing will you get much out of there for salvage

Yes very sad to see but thats the way of the world with old farm buildings nowadays. I know I get a lump in my throat when I drive past my grandparents old farm. The farmhouse at one side of the road is basically the same but the steadings and cattle courts have been turned into those horrible (my opinion) "mews" as they call them.

will be taking down the concrete frame barn for putting up somewhere else jason , do you gun the post out or break off  :-\ i know a lot that i see down here have concrete rot and all the reinforcing showing will you get much out of there for salvage

The concrete framed buildings will be going through the crusher Graham, they've been up a long time.... they looked like they had been there forever when I first saw them 30 years ago.

Still a shame to see those old buildings go....

Aye, it is John. :'(.... all the stone outbuildings have been soft stripped and pulled now, just piles of rubble. The next week will be spent salvaging all the re-usable timber and stone ready for re-sale.

good to see the slate & tiles removed for re- use , a lot of slate just gets binned up our way

We got over 30 tonnes of stone slates off the barns, worth approx ?15,000 at todays rates.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

there is a great call for crushed concrete jason isnt there , down are local quarry they call it eco blend bit of brick in it but mainly concrete but a lot cheaper than type one sounds like you will be busy for a while yet with the job , i have seen them building s  for sale and just wondered how they got them out

Sad times eh Jase........ :'(

Must be strange and eerie to see it in such a way especially when it's quiet........

Certainly eerie Martin, there's been no livestock on the farm for about 4 years now, it's just been used for storage but back when it was active there were several hundred pigs housed in the various buildings, not to mention anything like 100 head of beast and several thousand chickens.

ours was slightly different, back in 1984 the old stone buildings from our "close"  were largely torn down to make way for a new cattle/general purpose shed      all funded by the estate thanks to the sale of our farm cottage.....I said it was a mistake at the time I`ll try and find a pic as they were just beginning to convert steadings  round here then and I felt that a new purpose built steading would have been of more use and the whole courtyard could have been sympathetically converted.what did I know and dad was just happy for the estate to at last be investing something in the farm for the future.The outer wall remained saving blockwork a couple of bigger holes were made in them but that was minor, the internal walls all came down apart from the old dairy which dad wanted kept and the adjacent stable.Between them was an arch which at that time was a listed building so his wish was easier to grant than to overrule.

such is progress if you can call it that,and sadly,an inevitable part of our country life today. :-\

The couple who bought the cottage subsequently told brother and I they were leaving it too us in their wills...........wow we thought............slight catch but really nothing, they wondered if we could possibly help them pay off their mortgage and keep up the exterior of the house as it was going to be ours and they were afraid they`d run out of money.they wanted liferent of it which we were happy to agree to and the dealings were done. Having been done up in 1984 it wasnt too bad but still needed  some attention that was in 2000.Since them its cost us very little until the old lady died in October 2006.We officially took posession last Feb and started about some refurbs.......multifuel stove and heating system, replacement windows on 3 sides, new bathroom  and a paint job all cost  over 12K but we got it let in april to a local builder.He did some work , built 3 dog kennels,attended to the garden to his liking over the summer and we`ve got ourselves a rather tidy property.

A positive  to come out of something which started off rather sadly :)

sad to see the old places go ,last visit to one of our old ones left me quite shocked, very little remains now bar 2 of the newer barns which the new land owner keeps kit in, the rest of the pig units ect are long gone,replaced with kiddys play pits and stuff like that, think one of the places now has a swimming pool on the spot i built the last pig unit with my grandad all those years ago

i bet you were torn between big smiles & sadness to be back there jas

could none of the older stone building be converted to barn conversions jas or is the bigger call for more 'affordable new housing ' ::)

A lot of the original stone was "shot" Marcus and there had also been a couple of bad fires so they needed to come down anyway, I believe they will be building very similar structures in the same place.

A lot of the original stone was "shot" Marcus and there had also been a couple of bad fires so they needed to come down anyway, I believe they will be building very similar structures in the same place.

ah so it won't all be 'new brick' everywhere then, shame some of them wernt listed, as would have been nice to see them restored back to how they should have been

• 3 weeks later...