sparrow legs john deere 3040

sparrow legs

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all seems to be going on with you mike , i take it you're keeping yer cheque book to hand at the moment !

you quite rightly pointed out , more money spent on it means it's still good to you for another year, but there will be a time you'll have to replace it surely, after all she's no dog so will get a good price won't you ? 6610/20 would you be looking at ?

jd dealer priced it up on tuesday for trade in value, it was an insult! >:(  they were offering less than people pay for a fordson major :o

4wd isnt really needed, ive managed all season so far and it has been very wet, its well balanced and seams to "walk on water"

replacent wise a late 3350 wide step would be my ideal tractor but been toying with a brand new deutz K110, a 4 year old jd costs asmuch as one of them brand new! flailing is a very low profit margin job, no spare cash for expensive tractors as i dont work 80 hrs a week etc, i just do the work i choose to, thats why i went self employed as my health dosnt allow hugh hrs in a week

Ahh ok, not overly commen to have the small hedges you have that need a flail, we have bigg hedges over here and we have large machines for trimming our hedges, our machine has 4 1m saw type blades on, did a hedge a few weeks ago, took the top out of it, 14m high, the tops we mid sized trees ::)

With that age of a tractor I would never trade it in with a dealer - an ad in Classic Tractor or similar will help to get a much better price for it ;)

If you are interested in a K Mike check out the other SLH brands too although I have heard at least on the bigger ones that the hydraulics are slightly different ;)

Was up on a Hurlimann R6.120 (K 120) during the summer and was very impressed as was my friend who bought a Valtra N101 ;) ;)

With that age of a tractor I would never trade it in with a dealer - an ad in Classic Tractor or similar will help to get a much better price for it ;)

If you are interested in a K Mike check out the other SLH brands too although I have heard at least on the bigger ones that the hydraulics are slightly different ;)

Was up on a Hurlimann R6.120 (K 120) during the summer and was very impressed as was my friend who bought a Valtra N101 ;) ;)

wasnt planning to sell to dealer, it was just for reference, i would sell it private, as i say there offer was an insult!

never thought of looking at the other brands in the group :) just thought deutz as the dealer is only 30 mins away, not sure were the other brands are sold round here :-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

well an update, had a few problems of late (sorted now) so im getting out while the goings good, my pride and joy is up for sale :o not sure what to do, sell it while its worth money and hire a tractor for now or swap it, not enough money to get anything much newer. tried the flail on a 6620 (to hire) but the flail was a bugger to see, got chance of a maxum 5140 on hire but aint too sure on the view, all this stress is making me a un happy chappy :'(

• 1 month later...

update, i sold the 3040 2 weeks ago, replacement still aint turned up >:( plus side is im clocking hrs on a tractor thats sold, passed the 8000 hr milestone today ;D

as soon as my replacement arrives i will post pics, till then all i will say is it has 4 tyres and is a tractor :D

i dont think many tractors have decent cabs for trimming mike , maybe the newer panoramic all glass doors are better , but for a time view was restricted something awfull the IH xl cab & the 3000series MF spring to mind with that awfull cab pillar at least on the deere you had a good decent side window & a curved door to deflect any crap.

hmm so she gone then ! oof bet thats been weighing on yer mind in not having a direct replacement . so whats the plan something cheap & cheerfull , a local dealer , or something thats just right for the money ?

have to say best tractor i ever used for trimming was an MF 2640 2wd  complete plodder as you know mike but then who trims hedges at 40K ? :D

hey mike have you thought of a 2850 4wd  :'(

my old one has been on a flail for the last ten years

i miss her lots  :-[:-[ :-[:-[

those 3350 widesteps are ok but the one we had was a bag of nails

the 3050 and the 2850 where the better tractors

dealer rang today marky, its ready at last ;D they were just fitting the flashing light and giving her a quick polish as i spoke to the service manager, roll on 10am tomorro :)

as sean said its been bought for 2 weeks but been waiting for them to get it ready, i havent been left without a tractor just been trying not to use mine as it was sold but having started flailing grass etc ive had to use it.

not a bad guess pete but ya wrong :o

just because i was sat in the jd dealers dosnt mean its green or does it :D

will post pics tomorro ;)

dealer rang today marky, its ready at last ;D they were just fitting the flashing light and giving her a quick polish as i spoke to the service manager, roll on 10am tomorro :)

as sean said its been bought for 2 weeks but been waiting for them to get it ready, i havent been left without a tractor just been trying not to use mine as it was sold but having started flailing grass etc ive had to use it.

not a bad guess pete but ya wrong :o

just because i was sat in the jd dealers dosnt mean its green or does it :D

will post pictures tomorro ;)

awww yer such a tease  >:(:D :D