sparrow legs john deere 3040

sparrow legs

so whats next then ? 4wd ? or maybe another tractor & trimmer ?

the worst thing i suppose would be actually selling your 3040.

It's hard to justify selling something which is perfectly good for the job it does ,i would imagine the one thing you would only really gain is 40K box, of which you dont really need for trimming anyway  :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the main thing i need is aircon! 40km would be nice along with 4wd but i manage, valeted the old girl yesterday ready for the start of the season after it had an oil and filter change, 7500hrs on her now :o

hedgecutter now has a gearbox oil leak after changing the gearbox oil >:(

ideal rig marcus would be a referbished bomford brigender 27ft reach on a jd 3350 or case 1056xl

• 4 weeks later...

the main thing i need is aircon! 40km would be nice along with 4wd but i manage, valeted the old girl yesterday ready for the start of the season after it had an oil and filter change, 7500hrs on her now :o

hedgecutter now has a gearbox oil leak after changing the gearbox oil >:(

ideal rig marcus would be a referbished bomford brigender 27ft reach on a jd 3350 or case 1056xl

we got one of those  ;D we used to use it on the 8210 but she goes on the newer trimmer now  :-[

Your right Mike those decals do look good close up  :o :o ;) ;) you don't fancy selling 4 of those front wieghts do you  ;D ;D ;D:-*

no i dont! i bought a set of 10 painted up like new from the farm i run out off for £120, but then had to spend another £44 for two rusty ones from Holton Tractors to fill my weight frame, to be fair i need all 12 to balance the tractor with the flail on when its folded for transport

yes stickers are good, did you ring jim?

Tidy bit of trimming there Mike so do the clippings damage the paint work much  :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'(

yes!!! how i look at it is its there to be used so every 2/3 years she gets a full respray, dosnt make as bad a mess as you would think but every chip is a chip too many :'( cant be arsed with making bonnet guards etc but i really need to get a side window guard fitted

hedge went ok but i couldnt get a top finish on it as i took over 5ft off the hight and 3ft of the sides :o

cant remember if i've replied yet.....been a long few weeks! >:( >:(!!, nice wheels!!, reminds be of my neighbours old JD, think it may have been a 2*** series though :-\ :-\ ???

hi ben, its on optional 18.4 r 38 rears, came on that size when i bought it and replaed them with the same when i put the part worn rears onto my duel wheels, that bit extra width makes it travel better in the wet ;) i was walking on water with it the other day :o (really boggy field)

• 1 month later...

not engine thank god but its still bad, new lift fuel pump, injectors and injection pump and full fuel line clean out, have picked up some mucky fuel yet all i use is from new filtered tanks >:( bill running well into the thousand pound price bracket so far :'( wont be back till tuesday at least!  would have hired another tractor but my flail is stuck on my tractor in a workshop and it wont start as pump away :(

kris pic is nr hatfield (hornsea) its were my dad works, its a new 08 reg 7730, great machine to drive ;D

that sounds financially painful Mike..  :o bad luck mate... I hope you get her back soon so you can start earning some money with her again  :'(

I wonder if she will go any better as well with an all new fuel system ??? - I'd be interested to hear if you can feel the difference

got her back tonight ;D isnt smoking white smoke like it was, any seen is now mainly black, sounds much better on tick over, sounds better than the new 7730 i have been driving :o  aint a clue on the final bill but it will be into 4 figures for sure  :'( wish i had swapped it 10 days ago when i was pricing but on the plus side i know whats been put right on mine over the past 5 years and its all working at ther moment

she sure is, trouble is all that money spent and nothing to see for it ::)

will have to run it another season or so so it will be into the workshop in a month or so for a few extras to be added for making life that bit better for flailing :o

got a job in the pipeline that needs a 4wd for safety flailing so i will be hiring a 6620 from were i run out off if it comes off

got her back tonight ;D isnt smoking white smoke like it was, any seen is now mainly black, sounds much better on tick over, sounds better than the new 7730 i have been driving :o  aint a clue on the final bill but it will be into 4 figures for sure  :'( wish i had swapped it 10 days ago when i was pricing but on the plus side i know whats been put right on mine over the past 5 years and its all working at ther moment

better the devil you know eh mike, no point swapping for the sake of it

jd now in the jd dealers yard ??? put a side window through flailing yesterday and the glass is no longer availible, you have to fit a 50 series window which is different hinges and the dealer hadnt them on stock! should be here tomorro, more down time :'(

when a window blows it sure makes you jump :o 1st one i put through in 5 years flailing! (window guard on order)

had tractor back 2 days now, guess what, another problem >:( hit a pot hole and the shock moved my flail and snapped the stabiliser kit on it and the flail dropped about a foot (just missing the cab) more bad luck ::) a quick phone call to one of my customers who owns a fabrication firm, travelled there and an hours welding later i was on my way again ;D needless to say i owe him a pint next time i see him in the pub :)