Help Wanted.

robl12

It looks like I have got about 20 to 30 acres of grass on a long term rental so the plan is to cut about 10 acres for haylage. So I need a little advice on what type of tractor to buy. I have about 7000 to spend on one. Any advice would be most helpful, not planning on getting a baler so it would be for pulling a trailer, mowing and tedding.

It looks like I have got about 20 to 30 acres of grass on a long term rental so the plan is to cut about 10 acres for haylage. So I need a little advice on what type of tractor to buy. I have about 7000 to spend on one. Any advice would be most helpful, not planning on getting a baler so it would be for pulling a trailer, mowing and tedding.

As a start point I would make a visit to all of the local dealers. That way it would give you an insight to what is available for your budget. I would personally not like to spend that kind of money on a private sale unless I knew the history of the tractor in question and knew why it was being sold.

As a start point I would make a visit to all of the local dealers. That way it would give you an insight to what is available for your budget. I would personally not like to spend that kind of money on a private sale unless I knew the history of the tractor in question and knew why it was being sold.

Yeah was going to start looking around when I get home gonna try most of the ones locally there is a guy just outside huntly was going to see as well.

What size mower will you be using?

6 to 8 ft disc mower

really depends on if you want a modernish tractor or a older classis type first off, its amazing how many there are even in the back of ct mag within your budget,in some cases well with in,few just plucked out now are db1390 with loader ?6000,restored ford 4000 = ?4500, ford 7810 2wd super q cab 8000 hrs = ?5250 restored jd 2130 ?3800 jd 3050  =?6250 ,total mint mf 575 1 owner imaculate ?6990

the list is endless ,really depends who new or old to start with

wouldnt need much bigger than any of those i would say

Go find us all one then for  7 grand what a pointless post  ::)

youll struggle to find a decent ts 115 for double that   :D  what about a case 885 or db like tm said  :-\ they go for about 2 to 5k unrestored  :-\ :)

i know a guy that would sell one over here v. good condition and about that money!!! but its in NI :-\ :-\

I'd suggest for your requirement all you would need is a ford 6610

Pick a tidy one up for arround 4-5 grand

Not worth shelling out loads for the ammount of ground you will be working

I'd suggest for your requirement all you would need is a ford 6610

Pick a tidy one up for arround 4-5 grand

Not worth shelling out loads for the ammount of ground you will be working

I agree,  80hp tractor is about all you need to know - for 10 acres hours aren't a problem just check for possible leaks, hydraulics that drop with weight on the linkage (bad for mowers) and see if you can use the controls easily enough whilst using it (you don't want a tractor you hate driving after an hour) - There are plenty of tractors all makes and models out there. Good luck in you hunt! :);)

Thanks alot guys for all the advice, I had already started looking at the likes of fords and case and DB's. Andy I will be at the sale at thainstone next saturday as I always try and go when I am at home. As a lot of guys have said no point in shelling out a fortune for the land that we have.