land rovers

marshman

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TD5 it is mate, love the V8's but that's a bridge too far for Mrs H. Ours is auto and it's becoming crippling on fuel now that Mrs H is doing around the 15k a year mark in it...[she's got a heavy right foot, I've never had a problem  ;):D], anyway Mrs H has been into Droitwich Land Rover this morning to look at PX'ing it for a TD4 Freeloader now that she's doing the big mileage with her Virgin Vie job.

I don't think they're too bad on fuel personally, I would imagine that one of these as an auto is going to return similar figures to a manual Defender on a run. A manual Disco is slightly better as I recall from when the old man had them.

It's a lovely truck though either way, we've had this one for a year and it's never let us down and will do anything - as you know. We've had dreadful floods round us and the old girl hasn't shied away from any of them, would have been lost without it. And being an ES it's all leather seven seats and electric everything, it's a nice place to be. I shall miss it terribly when it finally goes down the road... :'(

post-1414-132638961037_thumb.jpg

Ummm matey, keep her much nicer than a freelander  :D;) ES Ummmmm very nice Trouble with them now is they dont fetch any money when you go and sell it on. There is an td5 ES Y reg one at a local garage, stunning condtion only £3995 seams too cheap to me.

And the traction control is stunning on them, 1 wheel on the ground and it will still keep moving  :D :D

Marky, has Mrs F's Defender got traction control? Is it a xs as well  ;):) :) :) :)

They ain't worth anything at the moment mate, who would want them? Thirsty, expensive servicing and parts, high road tax and , sadly, not the most reliable vehicles on the road.... but one man's loss is another man's gain.... can't have it all ways!!

You're right about the TC on them too, LR seemed to just hit that perfect balance on the TD5 Discos which they, or no one else, has managed to repeat, it's simply incredible where it will go on standard 18" road tyres... I remember going round Eastnor in a late S2 Disco XS V8, totally standard and absolutely mind boggling, clunking away and pulling through everything....

oooo yes simon mate  :D :D i reckon she even SOUNDS better than a land rover  :o (the engine not name)  :D

I'll have to leave the jury out on that one....  ;) TD5 is still in the top 3 road vehicle engine sounds for me, along with a Scania V8 and a Rover V8.... mind you, how much exhaust have you got left on the old 'tsu...? [or Die-Sh1t-su as I once heard them referred to as.... ;)]  [Post script, I have a bit of a soft spot for Daihatsu's..... I grew up in an old F25 which dad's company owned, that was an awesome truck.... till it vanished into thin air..... ;)]

I'll have to leave the jury out on that one....  ;) TD5 is still in the top 3 road vehicle engine sounds for me, along with a Scania V8 and a Rover V8.... mind you, how much exhaust have you got left on the old 'tsu...? [or Die-Sh1t-su as I once heard them referred to as.... ;)]  [Post script, I have a bit of a soft spot for Daihatsu's..... I grew up in an old F25 which dad's company owned, that was an awesome truck.... till it vanished into thin air..... ;)]

well buy everyone in my family its been christened as rhys's dai-cr4p-su  ::)  :D but i think its a great bit of kit... dad secretly likes it to  :P, scania V8's sounds lush  8) il second that  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Why no recovery stopr ad? the bungy type ones that sligshot you without shocking the chassis?

Kinetic rope... great stuff.... but can be bloody dangerous... I've seen it throw a bumper a fair few yards before... if it hit you it would have taken your legs off... or worse  :o

I prefer a good old chain... you know where you are with a chain  :D :D

Kinetic rope... great stuff.... but can be bloody dangerous... I've seen it throw a bumper a fair few yards before... if it hit you it would have taken your legs off... or worse  :o

I prefer a good old chain... you know where you are with a chain  :D :D

In this instance, probably still in that wet hole!  :D :D :D

Oh that sound's bad Colm. We keep hearing these days of health and safety and doing an risk assessment first before tackling any job but even then accidents can still happen. I remember the last large recovery job I was out with my friend one of the first things he mentioned before the recovery commenced was risk assessment. Well that was done and the recovery commenced. Despite assessing the situation the winch rope snapped on the recovery truck that was pulling out the trailer. All we heard was a loud creaking then a bang and the winch rope fell to the ground. Luckily the winch rope was of the "crane lifting type" which is spiral wound and has sting stuff through the middle. With this type of winch rope when it broke it fell to the ground and did not fly and decapitate anyone.

I guess the moral of my story is try and use the right equipment for the job in question.

Its Not a Kentic rope then are horrid we dont use them.

Its a tow stope 9 ton breaking strain.

Attached To the winch bumper on the land roverwont pull that off will bend the chassis before thatr with a large shackle that it ment for lorry recovery Dad got it from the AA when he worked there.

Attached to the disco with even bigger shakle on to the  specilst off road towing points (not the standard one)

The recoil stopper blankets we have found arnt heavy enough.

Chains you cant ****** with.

People all so behind trees

The winch rope on the landie is that snynthetic stuff that isnt ment to recoil wouldnt trust it though.

Dad is a very exspenrenced recovery having worked on the AA with lorrys crashes or stuck. Snatching is safe enought in certain places, the disco had hardly any traction anyway just the little tugs helping

Hope you dont think im be funny here im not meaning it that way :D;):) :) :) :)

Sorry about the quialty of the vid and my spelling  :D :D