David Brown 990, 995 or 996 Finished

Here's the latest convo that is just about finished, i decided to have a little break from 1/16" modelling. It is based upon the Corgi 1412 it was cut and shortened to make one of the 99x series, I have yet to decide which model to badge it up as. It is fitted with Nigel Fords brilliant wheels and axle from the Scaledown 990.

The photographs show most of the chassis is finished and I've sprayed the top bit tonight, the large gaps will go once the bonnet and cab are glued down. The dusk light has darkened the chassis paint somewhat but it is genuine David Brown colour. I will just have to add some finishing touches here and there and refit the cab glass and it will hopefully be finished this week.

9951.jpg

9952.jpg

9953.jpg

Cheers

Lee

Would have to be one of the 12 or 14 series Lee as the bonnet side panels have two raised pressings on them and are deeper than on the 9 series so would be a little too tall a model for the D.B purist.

Cracking looking convo, be nice to see the finished article and very nice to see proper style wheels on it too.  ;)

has it made it look a little more like 1/32 scale now with the new tyres on  ;)

Compared to the half built scaledown 990 I have it is not too far off now. The cab is two or three mm too small I still wonder to this day why Corgi chose such a random scale to make the model in.

Would have to be one of the 12 or 14 series Lee as the bonnet side panels have two raised pressings on them and are deeper than on the 9 series so would be a little too tall a model for the D.B purist.

Haha theres no pulling the wool over your eyes!! I think I might address that as just after I sprayed it, it slid off the hanging wire and took the majority of the paint off the cab roof  :-X :-X. Compared to the scaledown bonnet it is pretty much the same height. I had to remove some material away from the original as the "cheeks" of the bonnet were too long for a 990, 5 or 6.

Cheers for the comments and it looks like i've got some sanding to do once its dry!!!

These Corgi tractors were a little 'spurious' in scale, although the majority of the tractors (and their cars for that mater, although the later cars were 1:35 scale) were aproximately 1:48 scale, or so we are told by the experts. The Corgi buses and lorries were, and still are, 1:50 and 1:76 scale although now, for these, the standard scale for the lorries is 1:50 and 1:76, the standard scale for the buses is 1:76 scale. Corgi incorporated Vanguards some time ago and are now one.

nice work mate, often thought about that tractor as a convo, see a fair few arround this way still working out on the moors, mostly scraper tractors, [glow=yellow,2,300]but theres a yellow highway one still out doing filed work [/glow]

im not pain stakingly filling in my white bits with yellow  :D :D

• 4 months later...

How strange

I was working on the decals for it last night and hope to get her finished in the next week or so. I'm still glazing the cab out, I've been tempted to put the original glass back in but I think I'll stick at having individual glass panels. Have been working on a 1/16 model for a chap on here so the David has taken a bit of a backseat.

Cheers for the interest!

lee

These Corgi 1412's are relatively easy to convert and are a good donor base but are a little restricted because of the odd scale that Corgi used, a sort of 'in-between' scale of about 1:48 and don't lend themselves to convert to a very wide model range. The nature of them only really allow them to be converted within the range of a 1200, 1210, 1212, 1410 and 1412. If a smaller model, such as an 880 or 780 is desired then the better donor for this is the Dinky 990. Having said all this, it's a question of availability of donor models of both the Corgy and Dinky David Browns. Both now seem to be commanding a fairly weighty price in almost any condition and you have to think of the economics of finding a donor and cutting it up. Replacement spares could be an issue as the only spares available for the Corgi one at present is the exhaust and air cleaner unit but for the Dinky white 990 diecast bonnets, plastic mudguards and rear linkage is available together with the same in red for the Implematic version, plus the decals. These are ok if you are restoring to 'original' but may not be an issue when doing a conversion. Another donor is the Ertl Implematic 990 but even they are getting harder to find at a reasonable 'choppable' price and again are restricted to what you can do with it, perhaps making a side mounted air cleaner to change to a 900 or 950. But then, with the skills that some have, anything is possible.

These Corgi 1412's are relatively easy to convert and are a good donor base but are a little restricted because of the odd scale that Corgi used, a sort of 'in-between' scale of about 1:48 and don't lend themselves to convert to a very wide model range. The nature of them only really allow them to be converted within the range of a 1200, 1210, 1212, 1410 and 1412. If a smaller model, such as an 880 or 780 is desired then the better donor for this is the Dinky 990. Having said all this, it's a question of availability of donor models of both the Corgy and Dinky David Browns. Both now seem to be commanding a fairly weighty price in almost any condition and you have to think of the economics of finding a donor and cutting it up. Replacement spares could be an issue as the only spares available for the Corgi one at present is the exhaust and air cleaner unit but for the Dinky white 990 diecast bonnets, plastic mudguards and rear linkage is available together with the same in red for the Implematic version, plus the decals. These are ok if you are restoring to 'original' but may not be an issue when doing a conversion. [glow=red,2,300]Another donor is the Ertl Implematic 990 but even they are getting harder to find at a reasonable 'choppable' price [/glow] and again are restricted to what you can do with it, perhaps making a side mounted air cleaner to change to a 900 or 950. But then, with the skills that some have, anything is possible.

I can Knock out ertl/rc2 DB 990 skidd units as i cast them for my 1394  years ago if anyone is interested i might have one ready

made somewhere  ;)

• 10 months later...

Well after more than a year amd a lot of cluttering up my work area its finally finished!

It has a fully glazed cab, rear curtain and removable exhaust and air cleaner.

Heres the images...

ADSC05418.jpg

ADSC05423.jpg

ADSC05424.jpg

Hopefully now this is out the way I can get back to my scaleddown 990's!

Stunning conversion there Lee, very well done mate. Particularly like the hydeaulics and cab detail. Just one point I notice if you don't mind me saying, you've missed out the black lining detail for the rubber representation on the bottom of the right-hand cab side pannel where it meets the top of the mudguard.  ;)