Farming action in the Wallonie (Belgium)

Richard de Florennes

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lovley pics sasach ,you guys sure do use some big trailers compaired to us over here, that 3 axel green one must be what 20 ton if not more,cant ever recal seeing a trailer that big over here unless its on the back of an artic truck

Thanks for the feedback, here are some more pics from this very same beautyful 12 October Sunday, this time featuring a field with two John Deeres with AVR harvesters keeping busy some more Johne Deeres with Huret trailers ...

sIMG_3117.jpgsIMG_3120.jpgsIMG_3122.jpgsIMG_3123.jpg

... operating together with this huge John Deere on huge row-crop wheels and equipped with an 8-row topper and beet lifter!

I was so delighted about this sight that I spent the whole time of the remaining harvest of this field on the head-land, although unfortunately this big machinery harvested this field in no time at all ;-)

rIMG_3134.jpgrIMG_3135.jpgrIMG_3144.jpgrIMG_3146.jpg

more great pics, well done.

Does anyone know why they top and lift with a tractor into a windrow and then just pick up with the Gilles machine?

The Belgian farmers informed me that this solution is preferred in the region due to the lower costs compared to a full self-propelled harvester, making this solution even payable for big farmers and "farmer communities" insetead of big contractors only. Well this eight-row system and the big Gilles harvester are of course operated by a contractor, but the smaller and older pick-up systems are even operated by medium-size farms.

Also, the Belgians often have so large sugar beet fields that even full self-propelled harvesters need a tractor with trailer and keep the harvester operating efficiently. And when you already need a tractor and another driver operating alongside the harvester, you can do it cheaper wit this systems. Also, due to the social system in Belgium and France, families are larger in that reagion compared to the UK and Germany, so those famer families always have a son, uncle of brother available to help for "free" and this is actually one reason for the success of two stage systems in France and Belgium!

These are fantastic, so professional.  Don't you have a job to go to Richard, or do you freelance for a photographic agency? ;)

kind of freelancing, but based on writing/editorial stuff, not on pictures; this leads to quite an unconventional style of living with sometimes even working at nights and regularly in the weekend in order to find sufficient time for family and this crazy hobby. Accoring to my psycho doctor (I am suffering from kind of chronic depression) this kind of hobby in this degree as I do it is pathologic addiction and the only solution according to him is - like alcoholism: Zero. Zero farming pictures, zero field tours, zero farm toys forum, but I can not follow this hard course now. Will try to reduce this winter though ...

Back to topic:

s1IMG_3685.jpg

s1IMG_3692.jpg