The Adventures of Marky and Mavis... the MF240QD - new to me on 14th November 08

Lord Ferguson

The big question.... restore her or not ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. The big question.... restore her or not ?

• Yep... give her the works
    • No... leave her alone

thanks Mark... I reckon it will be easier to dull the cap than paint the rest of it  :D

I'll be t'cutting like mad on Saturday Stevie... Transit is still awaiting spray shop  :-[:D :D

I'll be takng some pics of the bonnet this week with my better camera.... you can decide then.... that pic actually makes it look worse than it is really.... it's kind of ok... ish...  :-[ - Sean is going to see her on Wednesday... he can give an FTF 'expert' opinion later in the week  :D :D

don't forget after the t cut and polish to use the special wax Marky ;)

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you have brought a few bits for her i bet your go the full resto Matey. Its soo addictive buying new shiny bits and putting them on  :o:D :D :D

I know Ad.... just done another parts list for tomorrow now  ::) :'( :D :D

Mark.... I'll be applying your 'secret' polish for sure mate  ;)

looking at the bonnet paint it all, it will look odd next to your 2 new tractors, go on you know you want too!

you need a 2725 electronic now to be ontop of the baler and make a line up over the years ;)

If you did Marky, i'd drive all the way to see you just to drive it. What a lovely tractor they are.

I reckon we can convince him Mike?  ;D

Now then Mark I'm going to be brutally honest now and say in my opinion with that new shiny cap it does look a little silly next to the "weathered bonnet". The bonnet is in far worse state than I first anticipated from the initial photograph so I'm now tempted to say give her a full restoration job. The cheaper alternative may be to get Mr Cranston to "weather spray" the cap with his new airbrush ???

Having said that what are your plans is it a "show beast" or a road run runabout or she is going to be used with the plough ??? ???

PS I still have not voted because I still cannot make up my mind ;) ;)

I think I've made my mind up really... with the help of my FTF buddies... I reckon she'll get the works at some time of other - it's such a good base to start off with I reckon she's crying out for a restoration.

Although.... my only real plans Bill are for a bit of ploughing (next year) and the odd road run really... I can't see me wanting to show her really  :-\

Now Mike, Luke... a 2725.... nar... it would have to be a 4840 on super singles with full linkage... now we are talking  :P :P

I think I've made my mind up really... with the help of my FTF buddies... I reckon she'll get the works at some time of other - it's such a good base to start off with I reckon she's crying out for a restoration.

Although.... my only real plans Bill are for a bit of ploughing (next year) and the odd road run really... I can't see me wanting to show her really   :-\

Now Mike, Luke... a 2725.... nar... it would have to be a 4840 on super singles with full linkage... now we are talking  :P :P

Well "suck it and see" is what I say Mark.... I've met up with a lot of wonderful folks over the years on the rally fields....just like on here ;) ;)

think you'll be surprised how well that bonnet will come up after a bit of elbow grease with the t-cut mark , at least it's still got paint there , for the 168 i'd be t-cutting rust , as the bonnet has no sign of paint anywhere !

As said above see what she comes up like when she's cleaned up & leave her be for a while , maybe in a few years time you can do a restoration on it ,but like said if it's done now while the excitement is high then it maybe a mistake you cant undo.

here's the problem i see with this particular tractor mark. If it was a mainstream run of the mill 240, i'd probably have no problem with the respray restoration, BUT to find an early model with the rare gold anaversary badge in the condition you have would be a shame to tamper with something which is genuinely hard to find .

the 240 has not got the icon status ? of the 135 , & many wont be saved from the yard scraper, so in a few years time these little tractors will be pretty scarce to find in the condition you found yours in

I know what you mean Bill... it's more the hassle of getting them there and back again that I can't really be bothered with... mind you... I reckon Mavis would fit in my 7.5tonner... nar... ramps would need to be so big and long you'd never lift them  :o:D :D

Course you would get aluminum ones Mark ;)

I know what you mean Bill... it's more the hassle of getting them there and back again that I can't really be bothered with... mind you... I reckon Mavis would fit in my 7.5tonner... nar... ramps would need to be so big and long you'd never lift them  :o:D :D

keep your trailer Marky and putted it behind mrs Fs landie  ;):)

I always drive front on... any problems dip the clutch and you just whizz back down... all good fun as long as you stay on the ramps .... so yes I agree with wide ones Mark ;) ;)

all well & good bill unless you have multi-power in high , then you dip the clutch & for a second look totaly bemused as to why gravity isn't working  :D :D

all well & good bill unless you have multi-power in high , then you dip the clutch & for a second look totaly bemused as to why gravity isn't working  :D :D

Point taken Marcus... but one thing you are forgetting I don't "do" MF's or Fergies only Farmall's and Nuffield and my models don't have MP ;) ;)

Point taken Marcus... but one thing you are forgetting I don't "do" MF's or Fergies only Farmall's and Nuffield and my models don't have MP ;) ;)

whaaaat ? you mean you have tractors that are basic mechanical beasts that dont have  gimmicky gears that can go disastrously wrong & expensive to fix  :-\

whats that all about  ???

Eeee you can't beat 'mutty par' Bill... especially when going down a hill  ;D:D :D :o

Today's update....

Tyres fitted now... goodyears all round... bloody expensive too  :'( - Over £600  :'( :'(

Bad News

The rears (rims and centres) are NOT 240 wheels.... they appear to be from a 35 and are not original  :'( - at some point in Mavis's life she's had them swapped  :-\ - not sure what to do about them really  :-\

Good News

The oil leak turned out to be the trailer tipping pipe with a hole in it  ;D ... rear curtain has turned up... floppy gear lever was just a loose nut.... the steeting box actually HAS oil in it  :o :o the lights are all working... fuses just needed a tweak to get them operational  ;D  Battery is now in... filters have been changed... engine oil changed... back end oil changed... air filter changed... silly bracket off the numberplate...

We are having problems with the pain colour now mind you... no MF paint charts seem to list the right colour for this model... We are thinking it's 'light grey' (same as the later 500 series)... as it's most definately not Stonleight Grey  :-\

More bits ordered today...

Headlights

Check Chain

Light Switch

Rim bolts

Fuse box cover and spring

rims look like all the ones i have seen, but hey ho, mf man must know, try ron greets ,he had 240's listed intock, set of centers and swap the tyres round

You can get the MF ones still mate... no real difference to the 35 wheels or the 135 come to that... just the rim bolts really... we only noticed it as I wanted to change the bolts  :-\

Sounds good Marky, we go for cheapie tyres usally because they last okay but goodyears are much better i spose :-\

Bet she looks good and sits a bit higher now :D Are you keeping a spreadsheet or folder with all the bits you are buying, what you are spending, what you have done to her so far and when?. Im sad like that  ::) I no the county isnt mine but i insted on a folder for her  :D Thanks Ad

easy job then mate, thought you ment the whole wheels mate

The rim and the centres are wrong Sean... so it all needs replacing to be 'right'  :'( :'(

Sounds good Marky, we go for cheapie tyres usally because they last okay but goodyears are much better i spose :-\

Bet she looks good and sits a bit higher now :D Are you keeping a spreadsheet or folder with all the bits you are buying, what you are spending, what you have done to her so far and when?. Im sad like that  ::) I no the county isnt mine but i insted on a folder for her  :D Thanks Ad

Funny you should mention that Ad.. I've just started one  :-[;D - will make interesting reading... but not for Mrs F  :o:D :D