The Aughton Valley Collection

What a fantastic picture David! Has anyone else got photos of children playing with models? What year do you think it was taken ?

I absolutely love the sandals - can remember all my brothers wearing them! Yes, Unkelfergus that includes you! :D

Well Jo I have a photo of myself in kilt beside my Triang pedal tractor but I'm certainly not posting that one up here ;D ;D

You mean for just you and Sue and Mandy...well it would have to be girl guides promise not to pass on the "Mafia" on here ??? ??? ???

Seriously I will have a look but well you know me I never dispose of much ( Still kicking myself about that Nuffield I referred to above I binned when I moved here in 1987 >:( >:( ) and I'll see if I can find it ;) ;)

David I think this may be a Rapael Lipkin toy, and would probably be worth a fair bit if you had it today.

David I would agree with James and say it was a Raphael Lipkin Nuffield. I had an unboxed one and it got binned when I moved house in 1987 :-[:-

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5204468

Thank you James and Bill for identifying the manufacturer of the toy Nuffields my Uncle and Dad are playing with. For sentimentality's sake I'd quite like to aquire one some day but they do seem to command rather a lot of money.

What a fantastic picture David! Has anyone else got photos of children playing with models? What year do you think it was taken ?

I absolutely love the sandals - can remember all my brothers wearing them! Yes, Unkelfergus that includes you! :D

Thanks Jo, delighted i've finally been able to discover this lovely old photograph. Whilst I can't pin point an exact date I believe the picture was taken in the late fifties. They're almost a matching pair with the sandals and their shorts Jo. Stand them side by side today and they would most certainly look nothing alike. :D

That sure is one nice picture, if you could find a tractor like that and display it with the picture it would be priceless

Erik

Thanks Erik, very pleased to have found it. It would certainly be nice to own one of those old Nuffield toys and display it with the photograph, bit pricey, but sure would look nice. :)

Yes indeed what a nice picture, back in the old times  :)

Delighted to have located it Pete, enjoy piecing together old family history such as this. :)

Sorry me again. This is nostalgia at its best!  Your lovely Grandad has the best hat in the world - and the pair of you in your hand-knitted jumpers - was that your Grans work David?

PS You are very sweet!

Here's another toy / model related family photograph my mum unearthed today. My late Grandfather dotes over little 3 year old me and the Britains models i've just received on Christmas Day 1986.

IMGoldies.jpg

Fantastic, both pictures.  :-*8) I think this may need a separate topic, although such gems will be far a few between I'm sure!

Thanks Chris, really chuffed to have located these photographs and I personally remember my Britains toys with great fondness, aswell as the unfortunate day I parted with them at a carboot sale. The Farmhand round baler survived immaculately intact, it's only minor modification was that Dad had slightly filed down the pickup reel so didn't snag on the carpet, I remember selling it for less than a fiver. The muck spreader was one of two I had, I seem to remember trying to put all kinds of things through it when playing outside with it, mainly a mix of soil and grass clippings. Both were sold in a very play worn state for less than a pound.

The Renault 145.14 was the first Renault to appear on my carpet farm and would later be joined by the dual wheeled version too. having lead a cosseted and looked after life on my carpet operation it failed to survive the rigours of the sand pit complete and was sold as a bare chassis and wheels for just a few pence. I'm trying to re-collect the Britains tractors I once had as a child so i'll probably look out for one when I attend Spalding having all ready found a dual wheeled version a couple of years ago to add to my collection. :)

Sorry me again. This is nostalgia at its best!  Your lovely Grandad has the best hat in the world - and the pair of you in your hand-knitted jumpers - was that your Grans work David?

PS You are very sweet!

Thanks Jo it's been great to find these. I'm fairly sure somewhere at home there's a few sand pit and "sand table" ( something my Dad made for my brother and I ) photographs containing few more of the toys we once played with.  You're indeed correct, my Gran was heavily involved with crafts within the W.I and prided herself in her knitting. She also created many of the soft toys I had when I was a "little un." Although my Grandad died when I was very young I still have some great memories of spending time with him, i'll never forget the day he taught me the art of swearing and helped with my machinery purchases to go with my burgeoning carpet farming career. :)

I think any sweetness I had in me disappeared with my blondes locks and curls all those years ago..... ;D

Great pictures David have you got the JCB robot? theres a few models that you have pictured that i have got also mainly from Joal 1:35 scale i will have to get some pictures together and post them up.

Regards Nick

Thanks Nick. I haven't got any of the JCB Robot skid steers produced by Joal in my collection just yet. Maybe one day, I quite like the look of them especially the newer wheeled 190, but just at the moment they're a little way down my neverending shopping list. Looking forward to seeing your line up of 1/35th scale Joal models. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought it was about time for an update on what has joined my collection from my annual trip to Spalding back in April. My collecting habits have largely stood still since I was there and truth be told my interest had begun to wane ever so slightly with the greater priorities of living taking up more of my spare time and expenditure. I've also had this feeling for a while now that in light of the choice we now have as collectors and the volume of new releases arriving constantly that my collection was beginning to become exactly like everyone elses. Any defining quality it had ever had before was becoming lost in the sea of new realeases I was ( certainly before Christmas ) determined to keep up with to a certain degree. The likes of the Universal Hobbies Massey Ferguson 3080 spring to mind.

Whilst i'm not about to stop collecting completely i've definitely had a re-think as to what criteria i'm going to follow when weighing up future purchases and hopefully this is reflected in what I came back from Spalding with. My plan for the most part is focus on classic tractors from the seventies, eighties and early nineties, especially those which i've photographed, driven briefly or have memories of working as a kid.

Enough of my rambling thoughts on where my collecting habits stand at the moment and onto a theme i'm hoping to add further to during the course of the year. International.

Starting with my pair of "Snoopys," the 3788 Toy Farmer Edition and the Britains 3588. Both very pleasing models and excellent value for money.

P1040201.jpg

P1040202.jpg

P1040205.jpg

Whilst here's photographs of a real one I photographed 3 years ago.

DSC025691.jpg

DSC025701.jpg

DSC025711.jpg

I also came back from Spalding with a lovely piece of sales literature I was very pleased to obtain as I have some great childhood memories of the real machine. The International 5288.

P1050739.jpg

P1050740.jpg

The real deal ploughing with a seven furrow reversible semi mounted Kverneland directly behind my parents house around 20 years ago.

International52881.jpg

International528831.jpg 

Rather than purchase the standard Britains International 956XL I plumped for this pair of Dave Towse conversions, both of which will feature my upcoming silaging scene entry.

P1040191.jpg

P1040195.jpg

Whilst here's another alternative conversion built by Mark "4055power" Ward, a Case International 856XL. Delighted to have some of Mark's excellent work in my collection.

P1040208.jpg

P1040209.jpg 

Moving onto another shade of red, these two gems now take pride of place in my Massey Ferguson collection.

Starting with a DBP 390T which I purchased from Ken Davies just before Barry cleared him of his remaining stock of DBP "Masseys."

P1040239.jpg

Followed by a model tractor I didn't have to think twice about purchasing. A JanMF / Robert Peeters 3095.

P1040236.jpg

Whilst here's the real deal I have good memories of driving on several occasions on a friend's farm.

IMGmf_0004.jpg

IMGmf_0006.jpg

A couple of blues came home from Spalding too in the shape of another wonderful DBP model, a County 1004.

P1040232.jpg

Whilst I drove this example at working event near the coast many years ago yoked to a 6 furrow Ransomes conventional plough.

Seen here at the Millenium Show at Newark.

IMGcounty7_0002-1.jpg

It couldn't leave Spalding without spending a few pennies at PDC's stand either. I now have six of Paul's excellent creations in my collection and the latest of these was his makeover of the Repliagri New Holland 8560 into a much more appealing TM155.

P1040176.jpg

The one untouched Repliagri model I came home with was the Fiat 880DT, a very tidy little model that sits along side the bigger 90 series tractors in my collection.

P1040184.jpg 

Got to love them snoopy's  8)  here are 2 pix of the 2+2's they used to have on the farm from my friends in Iowa, they were replaced by Ford 8970's, they still have the 9150 and 7110  ;)

Erik

Thanks for sharing those photographs Erik, that's a very impressive line up of red machines your friend's operated. Shame the Snoopys had to make way for the 8970s, the 9150 still looks like a mighty fine tractor too. :)

I absolutely love the looks of the articulated Snoopy Internationals, with their unique snouts. I'll admit I got rather excited when I discovered the 3588 lurking in the unloading area of that working event I visited, the first and only time i've seen one in the flesh. Hope we see 1/32nd version of the 6588 too. :)

The one Fendt I took a shine to was the big Schuco 626 LSA. This is a seriously impressive model with many working functions. Whilst i've never photographed one of these tractors I do remember seeing one of these in action on an East Yorkshire farm yoked to an Amazone drill when I was much younger.

This model now shares a shelf in one of my cabinets alongside my Weise 615 LSA.

P1040222.jpg

P1040224.jpg