The Aughton Valley Collection

• 2 weeks later...

In keeping with my current collecting policy of replacing the most of the more modern tractors in my collection Derwent Vale has just taken delivery of a second hand Steiger KM-325. It has replaced my Britains Case IH Steiger 535 HD Pro. Here is my most recent purchase lined up alongside it's higher detailed Toy Farmer Edition brother and my Series II Wildcat. All set for some spring cultivation action.

P1130669.jpg

P1130666.jpg

P1130670.jpg

P1130673.jpg

P1130676.jpg

That would be quite some line up if put to action in the UK for real.

Most definitely Andy. Precisely the reason why I really ought to pay a visit on my travels some day to the following farmer / dealer located not all that far away from me:

http://www.amtrac.co.uk/

Part of my collection is now beginning look more like a miniature second hand dealer's lot from across the pond! Next up for replacement are my Case Quadtrac and pair of T9 series New Hollands in my quest for collection "de-modernisation."

Must say i'm a huge fan of the green and black Steiger livery compared to their earlier and green and red colour scheme. I have noted there's another Steiger KM variant Britains produced in the shape of a "Prestiege" series KM -280 that appears to have the same detailing as the Toy Farmer edition but equipped with the single wheels from the standard release. Hopefully i'll be able to put together a shelf together to further this theme over the course of this year. The same goes for the alternative blue and white Ford FW tractors. :)

Edited by walterderwent

With Derwent Vale's modern articulated tractors and rubber tracked crawlers now sat in the local dealer's yard it's been time to dust down the remainder of my older Steiger related tractors with the spring carpet cultivations campaign just around the corner.

I'll start with a tractor that has been in my collection for the last 13 years, my Titan STR - 360. The real deal were re-manufactured by Power Mart Incorporated from the carcasses of old Steigers back in the early to mid 1980s. The model is a collector edition comissioned by Toy Farmer Magazine in the late '90s and, very appropriatley is based upon a revamped older Ertl casting.

P1130718.jpg

P1130719.jpg

P1130720.jpg

Whilst my International "Snoopy" tractors take centre stage on one of my shelves it's easy to forget that lurking alongside them is this Steiger born 4366 Turbo powered by International's own turbo charged 225HP DT-466 engine. The model produced in 2006 is from the series of articulated tractors created for the National Farm Toy Show and contains loads of really nice details.

P1130721.jpg

P1130722.jpg

P1130723.jpg

The most modern Steiger remaining in my collection is this Case IH liveried 9150. The real machine was powered by a Cummins LT-10 power plant pumping out 280hp. I believe this Ertl model is once again based upon an freshened up older casting and was produced as a dealer edition.

P1130724.jpg

P1130725.jpg

Whilst here's my older Series 1 Steiger Wildcat. I bought this model from my trip to the Fordson 500. It was a special edition produced to celebrate Steiger's 30th anniversary in 1999.

P1130733.jpg

P1130734.jpg

Whilst heres another alternative Steiger livery adorning the same casting. In this instance the model is badged as a Super Wildcat Series II Industrial. It was comissioned by Toy Farmer and produced in 2004.

P1130735.jpg

P1130736.jpg

Continuing the variations on the same casting in this particular Toy Farmer series of tractors is this Co-op Implements Bearcat released in 2003. Co-op Implements signed a contract with Steiger in 1972 to produce and distribute the Series 1 tractors in Canada from their Winnipeg base painted in their own orange livery. This model represents the 225hp Caterpillar engined Bearcat.

P1130737.jpg

P1130738.jpg

Lastly from this series of casting variations is the Allis Chalmers 440. With it's slightly different bonnet profile this model was produced as a collector edition in 2001 to celebrate Allis Chalmers 100th year anniversary. The real machine kicked out 208hp from it's Cummins V8 engine. This is the later of two guises to grace this particular tractor.

P1130739.jpg

P1130740.jpg

My other 1/32nd scale Allis Chalmers articulated tractor alos received a spring clean today. It comes in the shape of my 2008 National Farm Toy Show Edition 7580. Despite not having one of the prettiest of rear linkages it's still a very fine model.

P1130745.jpg

P1130747.jpg

Just before the rain came I also found the time give my Oliver 2655 an airing on the back door step. This model was produced for the National Farm Toy Show in 2005 and is one my favourite articulated tractors I have in my collection. I dearly hope we also see a model of the later White Field Boss or red stripe W.F.E tractors produced to the same level of detail as the 2655 in the not too distant future.

P1130742.jpg

P1130741.jpg

P1130743.jpg

Whilst also receiving the fresh air treatment today were my pair of four wheel steer Case Traction Kings. Starting with my 2007 National Farm Toy Show Edition and followed by the less detailed white example released a year later.

P1130727.jpg

P1130729.jpg

P1130731.jpg

great looking models. Love them artics, but kept myself to only the Ford (and with the FW-series being Steiger origin) , New Holland and Versatile models..

if you like the green livery of the Steigers, you are still missing a few made by Scale Models!!!!

As for the FW-series, i reccon you have both the FW30 as FW60 from Britains and perhaps the FW60 Ertl counterpart of the Britains casting... Still there are a few variations to go, like a plastic one and three early casting(80's) FW60's by Ertl (grey cab, white cab, collector edition of 1000 models)

i'll keep an eye out on your endevours to complete both the Steiger as the FW series.. Those would be amazing shelves!!!

great looking models. Love them artics, but kept myself to only the Ford (and with the FW-series being Steiger origin) , New Holland and Versatile models..

if you like the green livery of the Steigers, you are still missing a few made by Scale Models!!!!

As for the FW-series, i reccon you have both the FW30 as FW60 from Britains and perhaps the FW60 Ertl counterpart of the Britains casting... Still there are a few variations to go, like a plastic one and three early casting(80's) FW60's by Ertl (grey cab, white cab, collector edition of 1000 models)

i'll keep an eye out on your endevours to complete both the Steiger as the FW series.. Those would be amazing shelves!!!

Thanks Wil. As i've mentioned on many occasions before i'm a huge fan these older prairie monsters. They might not be to everyones taste, but I aboslutley love them and have really enjoyed adding them to my collection over the past few years. I've come very close to purchasing a number of the scale models Steigers from past trips to Spalding and now i've decided to focus my efforts on collecting models largely representing tractors from the '70s and '80s they have definitely risen higher up my never ending shopping list.

As for the blue articulated tractors residing in my collection the only three I have now residing in my collection cabinets are the triple wheeled Ertl 9882 and Britains FW-30 / FW-60 models on single wheels produced in recent years. A shelf filled purely with FW variations is a definite goal of mine this year. The "modern" dual wheeled FW-60 is a must on my wanted list, whilst i'm also going to be taking greater interest some of the older Ertl FW tractors produced. I've already removed my T9 series artics and several other modern tractors from my cabinets to accomodate them. Thank you for informing me of the other variations to look out for Wil, very much appreciated. :)

I also decided to have my fleet of articulated Fergies awoken from their cabinet slumber for some fresh air and a photo shoot on the back door step this morning.

Commencing with my old and very basic Ertl 4900, a proper brute of a tractor.

P1130752.jpg

P1130754.jpg

Whilst here's my standard release Britains 1505 on it's chunky single wheels.

P1130755.jpg

P1130756.jpg

Followed by it's dual wheeled older sibling. The 2004 National Farm Toy Show 1500.

P1130757.jpg

P1130758.jpg

Whilst here's my pair of Universal Hobbies 1200 and 1250.

P1130762.jpg

P1130759.jpg

Followed by a selection of the real machines i've photographed recently to accompany the models.

Starting with a local semi-retired farmer's 1200 and 1250.

P1100582.jpg

P1100587-1.jpg

Record breaking and very original 1250 that appeared at the Cheffins Harrogate Sale last year.

P1090126-1.jpg

The same 1250 I discovered on display at Newark Tractor and Heritage Show last year.

P1120535-1.jpg

Edited by walterderwent

...Not forgetting these three 1200 tractors from my photographic archives.

John Marchant's example on display at S.E.D.

IMGcmf_0005.jpg

Another tidy 1200 seen on water bowser duty at the South Croxton Working Weekend.

IMGcmf_0006.jpg

Turbo propelled 1200 photograpged by my Dad on the Beadlam Tractor Run last year.

DSCF1001.jpg

My three "blue" related articulated tractors residing in my collection. ( Photographs taken from my blog site, hence text. )

Whilst I still have my pair of modern Britains T9 series tractors they're no longer part of my displayed collection which is why I haven't listed them.

P1080615.jpg

P1080618.jpg

P1080502.jpg

Stood aboard a Ford Versatile 9680 at the Fordson 500 event back in June 1999 as a sixteen year old.

IMGf500_0036.jpg

IMGf500_0037.jpg

Cracking topic David... I'm loving the reds especially.... obviously :P I've got that 4900 .. but badged as a 4880 and on large super singles I think mate... will have to have a look. That's what I really do call a sandpit toy in every sense of the word... lovely

Thanks ever so much Mark. Enjoyed cataloging and photographing the articulated tractors I have currently displayed in my collection, and hope they serve as a useful reference point to other members and collectors.

I absolutely love the basic and rugged qualities of the 4900, a very respectable representation of the real deal. I've noted several other variations based on this casting, badged both as the 4900 and 4880. I'd really like to add a super singled version too at some point to my fleet aswell as a Brian Norman 1200. As for other Massey artics on my wish list to be built, i've mentioned several times in the past a McConnell manufactured 5200 would be top of my list. Whilst if Ertl ever did decide to reincarnate that particular older casting with a little more detail, then a 4840 would go down a treat. :)

Phwoar... an MF5200... now you are talking mate... didn't Allis make one once ???

Very impressive looking tractor Mark. Allis did indeed make brilliant one off 5200. I seem to recall his topic on it was "bumped" not too long ago, it looked the business. 8)

I thought my green and yellow articulated machines were deserving of a bit of attention today, so without further a do here's my current line up of big Deere power. I've decided to focus solely on collecting the Sound Gard cabbed models and older examples. I still have plenty of gaps that I hope to further fill this year.

First up my Plow City 2010 Edition 8760.

P1130782.jpg

Followed by "the daddy" in my eye's, the V8 powered 8850 and Plow City Edition from last year, what a monster!

P1090510-1.jpg

Another of the Plow City Editions in the shape of my dual wheeled 8640.

P1130780-1.jpg

Followed by the Britains standard release 8440 on super singles.

P1130784.jpg

Edited by walterderwent

Whilst here's my Collector Edition 8430 with front blade.

P1120740-1.jpg

Followed by the real deal and Chris Jubb's magnificently restored 8430 seen at the Newark Tractor and Heritage Show last November.

P1120598-1.jpg

Another example I also photographed at Newark, on this occasion at the Millenium gathering.

IMGjd_0001.jpg