The Aughton Valley Collection

Another blue beauty Paul built for me is this 2wd Ford TW-15 which I requested having photographed the real example below at Malton Show many years ago. The real tractor once belonged to farmer Eric Craggs and appeared in a very early edition of Classic Tractor in the "Farm Favourites" section of the magazine. I believe this tractor is now in the hands of a collector.

TW15_0004_zps5625f58b.jpg

P1290080_zps95f4462c.jpg

P1290081_zps6a6e4219.jpg

P1290082_zpsd3a2bc15.jpg

P1290083_zps6f33d16b.jpg

P1290085_zps621a7318.jpg

Whilst here's another 2wd TW tractor Paul built for me in the shape of this TW-20. The inspiration for this tractor came from a photograph I noticed in a book by Stuart Gibbard of an example with just the weight frame at the front yoked to a Hesston 4800 high density baler. Yet again i'm absolutely over the moon with this model. :)

P1290086_zps5297565a.jpg

P1290087_zps6a36ff77.jpg

P1290088_zps0ca3918c.jpg

P1290089_zps6ca80962.jpg

My fifth PDC purchase from Spalding came whilst browsing Barry's stand. I noticed he had one of Paul's excellent looking New Holland TM-190 conversions for sale. I couldn't resist, and thought it would look nice sat with my PDC TM-155 conversion. Delighted to have added one of these models to my collection. :)

P1290090_zps2669eddd.jpg

P1290091_zps9ae54026.jpg

P1290092_zpsac221c7f.jpg

P1290093_zps15886ed9.jpg

as always david, great additions to your collection mate.

Thank you ever so much Chris, still a few more blue additions on the way. ;) Very pleased with all my Spalding purchases that fit in really well with the themes i've chosen to pursue. I've almost moved on nearly all my modern general releases now ( nearly 200 models in the last year ) which have helped finance a great many of my extra special purchases over the past year. :)

So the conversation with Barry goes something like this:....................."Yes I do indeed have a complete set of G & B Roadless models.....(long pause as my eyes circulate the models on his stand )....except that one!"

And "that one" turned out to be this 115 equipped with Duncan cab, rear wheel weights, and etched front grill. Gorgeous model, and the seventh G & B Roadless to join my collection.

P1290096_zps48104fb2.jpg

P1290097_zpse0a17029.jpg

P1290098_zps9f9cfc01.jpg

P1290099_zps31ffc083.jpg

Continuing with the Ford conversions theme of my collection, here's the first of two wonderful DBP County tractors to join the Aughton Valley fleet from Spalding in the shape of this 1184-TW.

Commencing with the real deal that I photographed at the Millenium Show at Newark Show Ground.

IMGcounty9_0004_zpsd3cfcaf8.jpg

Dave's superb model.

P1290101_zpsb401c260.jpg

P1290102_zps679d9c7e.jpg

P1290103_zpsa7e47c95.jpg

• Like 2

My second DBP purchase was one that has been close to the top of my "never ending shopping list" for while now. A short nose County 1474. Another absolutely stunning creation from Dave. 

Before photographs of the model here's Lincolnshire farmer and collector Gerard Enderby's real machine on display at the Millenium Show.

County_0002_zps1d125a51.jpg

Dave's amazing model.

P1290105_zps50dbb187.jpg

P1290106_zps9affebfe.jpg

P1290107_zps6099f7be.jpg

P1290108_zps4e2a04d1.jpg

• Like 4

Having purchased one short nose County 1474 the last thing I expected was to end purchasing a second example. That was until I headed over to Martyn Reeve's stand and discovered his latest master piece. There was no way I was leaving Spalding without one. What a fantastic model. :)

P1290109_zpsf8865e86.jpg

P1290110_zps8fdae5c0.jpg

P1290111_zpsf0601c06.jpg

P1290112_zpsac2ffebf.jpg

P1290114_zps15f087b7.jpg

All my 1474 models lined up together.

P1290116_zpsdd77f281.jpg

• Like 3

Moving onto my final blue purchase from Spalding. It comes in the shape of this weathered Imber Ford 6640SL 2wd That Peter Hardy has also added rear wheel weights to aswell. Chuffed to bits with this tractor another excellent model from Peter. I've seen a number of 40 series tractors equipped with rear wheel weights, one of the main reasons I purchased this model.

P1290119_zps09856c3d.jpg

P1290120_zps15929840.jpg

P1290121_zps13d749ac.jpg

P1290122_zpsbc307f65.jpg

• Like 1

Technically there was one other model I purchased from Spalding, a cheap Universal Hobbies Deutz - Fahr K series tractor. However I left this tractor in the hands of PDC. The sum of it's parts being contributed to two more 3000 series Massey Ferguson models in due course, a 3090 and a 3075. Thank you so much Paul. :)

Bloody hell. All the  NEW BLUE. Fantastic David. ;)

Thanks ever so much Justin, appreciated. Definitely more blue blood in me than anything else, and i've really enjoyed adding to my classic Ford and Ford conversions line ups recently. I'd certainly love to continue adding to my County, Roadless and Doe shelves and also my bubble cabbed Fords. I've plenty of ideas and very specific models in mind, just need to start saving again. :)

• 1 month later...

This morning i've been cleaning and tidying up cabinet number nine that I recently bought from the British Heart Foundation. It's very close to being identical to the last cabinet I purchased from Argos. I've given this cabinet a thorough clean, tightened a couple of loose screws, and also added a small plastic wedge to it's base so it sits level. I've also on this occasion screwed it to the wall so it's completely stable. 

This particular cabinet is the first to be positioned in the other area at home ( a dorma upstairs area ) I have expand my collection into, as it's too high for any of the remaining spaces I have in my collection room.

In light of forthcoming releases I decided to give my John Deere collection a new home which has in turn now freed up further space downstairs for my AGCO themes to develop.

P1300906_zpsd9d6a60b.jpg

P1300907_zps430eb582.jpg

P1300908_zpsb94f9906.jpg

P1300909_zps6e1756d7.jpg

P1300910_zps02bf6475.jpg

P1300911_zpsa7fc6b66.jpg

• Like 1

Argos cabinet!!! Have 2 of them & must get a 3rd. They are a fine job for displaying David.

They're definitely a very useful size Justin, with just enough shelf depth too. I'm always on the look out for cabinets that have a shelf depth of 30cm or over. I also like the fact they have glass sides to them aswell. The second hand example i've just installed cost me very little money. The only difference I can see with this exmaple compared to the brand new one I bought earlier in the year is the lack of a metal bar below the 4th shelf down from the top. This certainly improves the rigidity of that particular shelf where the door handles spring back to. I'd definitely have another. :)

nicely displayed David,a credit to you

Thanks ever so much Paul. It gives me lots more space and opportunity to develop my John Deere collection now. Especially with this years Schuco and Britains releases being "must haves." There's also at least five more artics i'm on the look out for too. :) 

If you compare the DBP and Reeve 1474 which one do you prefer? Is there much of a price difference between the two?

You really have a fantastic collection David. Making me very jealous! If you ever come to sell a branch of your money tree let me know ;D

If you compare the DBP and Reeve 1474 which one do you prefer? Is there much of a price difference between the two?

You really have a fantastic collection David. Making me very jealous! If you ever come to sell a branch of your money tree let me know ;D

Thanks ever so much Niels. Thoroughly enjoying putting together an almost exclusively "classic era" collection with lots of custom builds lined up alongside the older general releases. My "neverending shopping list" is certainly a little more specific than it once was before. Especially looking back at some of the comments and replies i've made earlier in this thread when I first started building up my collection. A good number of my recent purchases have been made by reinvesting all of the proceeds from selling off a lot of my modern models, and i'm massively greatful to a number of very good friends / stall holders for allowing me the opportunity to do this at various shows i've attended. :)

Had I kept all of the models i've moved on theres a good chance my collection would be pushing up towards the 550 /  600 mark. Where as now it's around 300 models displayed across nine cabinets, all out of their boxes on view. Which, if space allows i'm very keen to continue. Whilst I do keep the majority of boxes from the models I purchase i'm not particularly sentimental towards them.

As for the two short nose County 1474 models I have, very difficult to pick a favourite, which is why I have both!  ;D

They're both fantastic models, superbly put together, and I really like the fact they're on the different types of tyre size and wheel centre. Martyn's version contains a number of parts associated with the Universal Hobbies 1474. Tyres, cab, and front weights aswell as the existing UH rear linkage. This is definitely reflective of the overall selling price of the two models. The rear end of Dave's model is very realistic with a much more life like 3 point hitch. The DBP version comes in £65 dearer, but don't let that put you off. Both models are certainly a sound investment, and do look rather tasty sat together. I certainly wouldn't want to part with them! :)

I'd love to see a short nose 1474 with the grill angled in the other direction. There's definitely at least one real example like this. It appears in Stuart Gibbard's Ford Tractor Conversions book, and I believe the very same tractor ended up in the hands of Robert Fearnley before possibley passing onto collector Malcolm Beaton.

Thanks for your reply David! If Martyn has a 1474 with him at Zwolle i'll probably have to buy one off him! I have the 9700 and that was a fantastic model also. The best scratch build i've ever bought.

I had forgotten you sold a lot of your models as well. I've given this a lot of thought to do so myself. However, I feel it would be a waste for the long term. Most of my older Britains and Siku models won't make more than € 5,- or won't sell at all. Then again, new models you buy today might be classic in 20 years time? I remember buying Siku's Ford 8830, Deutz DX, Britains MF 3690 and Renault 155.54 when they were new and classics now! Of course the detail and realism is a far cry from today's models.

I still have a bunch of 1/64 scaled stuff as well that i'd like to sell. But then again, these were dear to buy and there is nearly no market for the stuff today in Europe. Think i'm better off boxing them and maybe display in the future when I have the space for it.

Thanks for your reply David! If Martyn has a 1474 with him at Zwolle i'll probably have to buy one off him! I have the 9700 and that was a fantastic model also. The best scratch build i've ever bought.

I had forgotten you sold a lot of your models as well. I've given this a lot of thought to do so myself. However, I feel it would be a waste for the long term. Most of my older Britains and Siku models won't make more than € 5,- or won't sell at all. Then again, new models you buy today might be classic in 20 years time? I remember buying Siku's Ford 8830, Deutz DX, Britains MF 3690 and Renault 155.54 when they were new and classics now! Of course the detail and realism is a far cry from today's models.

I still have a bunch of 1/64 scaled stuff as well that i'd like to sell. But then again, these were dear to buy and there is nearly no market for the stuff today in Europe. Think i'm better off boxing them and maybe display in the future when I have the space for it.

You're very welcome Niels. Martyn certainly knows how to put together a superb custom built model. I really regret not bringing home the Ford 8630 he had built and had on his stand at Zwolle last year. I ended up purchasing the 4wd 9700 to go with my 2wd 9700. Unless i've forgotten any, I have the following MFM models in my collection. Fantastic, each and every one of them:

Fiat - Versatile 44-28

County 1474 short nose

Ford 9700 4wd

Ford 9700 2wd

Ford 7610 Gen III 2wd

Massey Ferguson 3095 with front linkage

Massey Ferguson 590 2wd

Massey Ferguson 188 4wd

I've had many a thought provoking conversation with friends and fellow collectors with regards to my decision to sell off a large proportion of my original collection. Particularly regards some of the things you've highlighted Niels.

Whilst I might regret moving them on in the future I certainly don't at the moment. A couple of years ago i'd become bored and had definitely lost the "buzz" for collecting. This was largely down to staring at my collection and thinking to myself I have absolutely no connection and very little interest in a lot of the modern general releases from the likes of Siku and UH lining my cabinets. I started to question why I had gone out and spontaneously bought them in the first place. The simple reason was being in position where I had a little bit of extra disposable income to start building up a collection from scratch. That was the excitement at the time, simply being able to start a collection, irrespective of what models I bought.

Where as now my excitement and enjoyment of the hobby is driven by my desire to develop a collection largely made up of custom built classics that is personal and unique to myself. Whilst I will continue to pick and choose the general releases that fit into the various line ups and themes i've chosen to pursue. One thing's for certain the forum and all of the friends I have made as a result have also had a massive impact on my collection, which i'm incredibley greatful for. Would I have known about any of the custom builders who's wonderful work now resides in my cabinets had it not been for the forum existing? Or, would I have had the opportunity to attend as many shows as I have done in recent years and have had the chance to buy some of the models I now own?

It's also one of the main reasons why I have no regrets about moving on all the models I have recently. Because all I have to do is look back at the photographic record in these pages to remind myself of all the great memories I have of how I built up my collection in the first place, and that's enough for me. :)

Sorry for the great long ramble, absolutely love this hobby! :)

you did sell off what 5 or 6 big boxes worth at zwolle ,but you came back with just as many new models :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  

I was certainly rushing around right up until the very last moment at Zwolle Sean. :D I ended up moving on around 30 to 40 surplus models in Zwolle and came back with 13 to add to my collection. :)

Here's my most recent additions to my collection. I'll have some outside shots taken in natural lighting in due course. Chuffed to bits with these. :)

P1300936_zps61189813.jpg

Universal Hobbies Case IH Maxxum 5140.

P1300939_zps36c700a1.jpg

Replicagri International 955 with duals.

P1300940_zps0ca3e6e5.jpg

Replicagri International 845XL black mudguards ( limited edition. )

P1300941_zpseb9a457c.jpg

Replicagri Fiat 880 DT5.

P1300943_zps09f1178d.jpg

• Like 2