The Aughton Valley Collection

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the offer for the older Ertl Case tractors, however my pennies have been put towards other things just at the moment including the latest addition to my collection.

It comes in the shape of this Massey Ferguson 690 conversion modified by forum member Paulali. I'm really pleased with this model and the work Paul has carried out to make the tractor look much more like the real deal. Delighted to have another custom converter's work sat in my collection. Thank you Paul.

P1320240_zps2ce312a2.jpg

P1320237_zps7788620f.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my most recent purchase towards my collection that arrived yesterday. It comes in the shape of this Ertl Prestige series Case IH 9190, an absolute monster in 1/32nd scale. It's effectively last years N.F.T.S Steiger Tiger given a slightly more modern makeover to reflect the transistional period and takeover of Steiger by Tenneco. In real life I believe Case IH built less than ten of these 525hp giants and some of them weren't even badged as 9190 tractors they were still called Tigers. Chuffed to bits that Ertl decided to issue this model definitely worthy of the Prestige moniker.

P1320243_zps81ccd135.jpg 

P1320242_zps1e97cb0c.jpg

P1320241_zps49022b4b.jpg

The 9190 sat alongside it's Steiger older brother. The National Farm Toy Show model from 2012.

P1320244_zpsf690ff2f.jpg

P1320246_zps0bd49552.jpg

Whilst here the 9190 towers over the other Steiger transistional model residng in my collection this 9150. Th full size version kicking out 280hp from it's Cummins LTA motor.

P1320248_zps54889691.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst at Driffield Show today I caught up with Peter Hardy ( convo ) and after much deliberation decided that having purchased a Siku Farmer + series Massey Ferguson 8270 Xtra that my standard Siku 8280 Xtra should be given a small make over. :)

I've never really done anything like this before, so i'm keeping things simple to begin with and if this turns out ok I may have a go at something else.

First on my small shopping list of parts from Peter was this Sumo liveried front weight block which fits snug over the A - frame front linkage that already exists on the tractor.

P1330843_zpsf73f19de.jpg  

P1330842_zpse2f1ab4a.jpg

Whilst the other parts I bought to add a little more detail to the tractor where a pair of beacons and GPS antenna which i'll fit to the cab. I might also make my own number plates too.

I also purchased a pair of already painted rear wheel weights. Before I fit these i'm going to paint the hubs on both the front and back wheels black.

P1330841_zpsbf98363b.jpg 

P1330855_zpsb6033fc8.jpg

As i've already mentioned they're not going to be major adjustments, no slicing and dicing, but hopefully they will enhance the standard model a little bit more, and if I enjoy doing it then I might have a go at something a little more adventurous the second time around.

Whilst here's the model I came home with today Siku's very smart Farmer + series Massey Ferguson 8270 Xtra. This joins my line up of soon-to-be-pimped 8280 Xtra, 2002 LCN show model 8270 Xtra and my Peter Hardy converted 8270 Xtra with dual wheels all around. 

Rather pleased i've been able to add to this slightly more modern line up in my collection of classics as I came very close to selling these models. However having found the Farmer + variation on Peter's stand today i've been inspired to hang onto them and may look for another 8280 Xtra base model to modify depending on how my first effort turns out.

Thanks again Peter. It was great to catch up with you as always today. :)

P1330844_zps72536a9a.jpg

P1330847_zps3da1c942.jpg

P1330848_zps92dbc721.jpg

P1330846_zps2baddc0a.jpg

P1330849_zps16595852.jpg

P1330852_zpsfcc59b89.jpg

the 8200 are a nice model David,check out how i pimped my 8270 xtra in tractor conversions topic,now sold

I certainly like the extra detail incorporated on the Farmer + model and they do look quite nice lined up together. Your enhanced 8270 Xtra will certainly come in very useful as a reference point. Thanks Paul.

i love that sumo weight

The moment I saw it on Peter's stand I thought it would look good on one of my models and thought to myself straight away the 8280 Xtra would be an ideal candidate. The company is based not all that far away from where I live so all the more reason for adding it to my collection. Very pleased Peter is doing these. :)

Here's another reason why i've decided to expand this line up rather than move it on......an 8260 Xtra I photographed earlier in the year.

P1280826_zpsc79b78b1.jpg

ah, thats the mf you kindly sent me a full image of David,great reference for me,i have a weathered simb solo done by ben on here (britains) which is going to go behind one of my 8250 fastracs,dont know if the sumo weight would look a bit funny with a solo,being 2 different companys,but there must be somewhere i could use it

well,well David, you have started it now mate. thats how it begins, you buy a few beacons, wheel weights etc,etc and before you know it you will have a workbench, airbrush and loads of tools and half of Nigel fords catalogue on order!!!. trust me mate, been there, done that!!!!!!!

• Like 1

ah, thats the mf you kindly sent me a full image of David,great reference for me,i have a weathered simb solo done by ben on here (britains) which is going to go behind one of my 8250 fastracs,dont know if the sumo weight would look a bit funny with a solo,being 2 different companys,but there must be somewhere i could use it

Certainly a very impressive tractor to capture in action Paul. As for weight block / boxes. I've photographed quite a few variations from a whole host of manufacturers used in conjuction with all manner of kit. Whilst a matching piece of Sumo equipment in 1/32nd would look great there's no reason why it wouldn't look decent paired with another manfacturer's cultivation equipment. Plough, drill etc.  

well,well David, you have started it now mate. thats how it begins, you buy a few beacons, wheel weights etc,etc and before you know it you will have a workbench, airbrush and loads of tools and half of Nigel fords catalogue on order!!!. trust me mate, been there, done that!!!!!!!

I do have few tools to call upon, a decent work surface and all manner of other accessories i've saved from other models i've bought that could potentially come in handy for other projects Chris. If I enjoy completing the small make over of my 8280 Xtra and don't lose to much patience then you could well be right. :)

Just completed a small amount paint touch ups and added the wheel weights I bought from convo ( Peter Hardy ) to my Siku Massey Ferguson 8280 Xtra. I've also painted the bases of the beacons too. Just going to drill a couple of small holes for them so they fit snug and glue on the GPS unit. I'll probably leave it at that. Nothing too taxing but at least it looks a little more enhanced than the standard Siku "toy." :)

P1340045_zps2c6c8488.jpg

• Like 1

surprising how some little touches can enhance the model, even simple things like painting the hubs make such a difference, should look good when its all done.

Thanks Dan. As far as modifications go this about as far as my talent stretches! :D Even then I was finding it difficult to keep my hand steady whilst trying to paint the black around the lights of the cab. This was very nearly part of a line up in my collection that I decided to move on. Particularly the standard version here. However I do quite like the farmer plus variation so i'm glad i've hung onto them. :)

you will get the bug David,im sure,but as Dan said,even the most basic of addons can transform a model

Thanks for the encouragement Paul. Pleased with how this has turned out. From an almost forgotten model / toy in my collection to something i'm proud to own. I might have another go at one of these and turn it into an 8260 Xtra instead using different accesories. :)

Thanks Dan. As far as modifications go this about as far as my talent stretches! :D Even then I was finding it difficult to keep my hand steady whilst trying to paint the black around the lights of the cab. This was very nearly part of a line up in my collection that I decided to move on. Particularly the standard version here. However I do quite like the farmer plus variation so i'm glad i've hung onto them. :)

You will get the hang of it , few months time you don't know what you might be turning out ;)  I sometimes find fiddly little lines or working on little details I use a cocktail stick or similar much easier than trying to fiddle with a brush. Looks good with the beacons fitted.

You will get the hang of it , few months time you don't know what you might be turning out ;)  I sometimes find fiddly little lines or working on little details I use a cocktail stick or similar much easier than trying to fiddle with a brush. Looks good with the beacons fitted.

Thanks Dan and thank you for the encouragement. Absolutely delighted with how this model now looks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

With the wet weather leaving me no chance to go combine chasing today i've been focusing my efforts this morning at re-homing my Massey Ferguson model collection which has now moved into my most recent cabinet that I purchased from the local British Heart Foundation charity store a little while ago. Other than the colour this cabinet is identical in dimensions and shelf space to two others I have bought this year.

P1340284_zps29b84e98.jpg

P1340286_zpsa1b5388f.jpg 

P1340290_zps0cf1542c.jpg

P1340287_zps8991b06d.jpg

P1340288_zps2fe35ee7.jpg

P1340289_zpsef5df3ed.jpg

• Like 1

This particular cabinet is sat alongside my John Deere / Claas cabinet in a slightly different area of home which i've now decided will be christened AGCO corner. The ultimate goal being to bring together the other manufacturers that represent the history of AGCO together that currently reside in my collection. This will mean my John Deere / Claas models will be relocated again once another suitable cabinet is sourced. Whilst the space my Massey Ferguson collection has now vacated will become home for the time being to my Fiat and Case / Case IH collection which will leave more space free to solely develop my International collection. Again the aim here is to keep everything C.N.H related together. Plenty of ideas to ponder.... when further time and pennies allow.

P1340293_zpsa54385e1.jpg

• Like 2