"Walter Derwent's" Other Machines Past and Present

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a set up - I guess that is an ex army 4wd Bedford ;)

Appeared to be of army origin Colm, a plant hire firm about 10 miles away used to use them aswell as dump trucks along with a big ex - army 6x6 Foden which they still have, certainly looks good as a lime spreader.

I bet that does the backend of his tractor the world of good being towed by that thing at 40+ mph  :o :o

Never seen a configuration like it before Mark with the loader being towed directly behind the spreader, can't be ideal. There was a contractor near me that ran an On-Top spreader with a telescopic loader on the back, but it was towed on a specially built low loader trailer.

Now for a selection of Merlo telescopic loaders including a Multifarmer seen at Cereals and Festival of the Plough.

DSC02433.jpg

Merlo.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

Some big old machines them Chafers. The bumper and headlights are a dead give away!  :D

Do look very chunky and substantial machines the Chafer based "Mogs." Here's a photograph I took a few years ago of an older forward control MB - Trac at York machinery sale.

MBTrac1000FC.jpg

Followed by a selection of telescopic loaders and loading shovels, in shiny and not so shiny condition.

DSC01112.jpg

DSC03290.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

Also taken at Ellers Farm in 2005 was this Vervaet self propelled sugar beet harvester belonging to a local contractor seen unloading into the farm's Massey Ferguson 3085 and trailer. With the closure of the York sugar beet factory, 2006 was the last year they harvested any beet. They have since grown oil seed rape in it's place.

Vervaet2.jpg

Vervaet3.jpg

Vervaet1.jpg

Great topic Walter........Nice to see combine pics at this time of year........ :) :)

Thanks Martin, it's a really tidy machine that Dominator of their's, they keep it in pristine order for it's age, looking forward to going back to see it and photograph it this summer. :)

Look at that!! The predecessor to the Trantor! :D

Very interesting machine Tris, and I wonder when it was concieved in relation to the Land Rover based Trantor. I'm assuming this machine is a farm based conversion or was built by the tree service company that use it, possibly for winching out logs or on a chipper, a little bit like this machine developed in the mid eighties called the Ag-Rover, which looks quite smart.

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/images/agroverblue.jpg

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/trantor.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few photographs I took yesterday of the other machines currently used at Ellers and Beach farm.

First up the 51 plate Manitou 633 -120 based at Ellers which was purchased at the start of last year to replace an ageing unequal sized wheel model. It was bought from a haulage firm and this is first time it's seen any farm work.

DSC03761.jpg

DSC03763.jpg

DSC03768.jpg

DSC03769.jpg

Whilst over the road at Beach farm lives this tidy 2wd JCB 3CX.

DSC03759.jpg

DSC03760.jpg

This little H plate Frazier Agri Buggy carries out all of the spraying on both farms.

DSC03758.jpg

Whilst Ellers farm is the home for this Stothert and Pitt roller that was inherited by the farm from the village cricket ground after the land was returned to grazing.

DSC03775.jpg

DSC03776.jpg

Interesting looking roller David. Nice to see it is being preserved and keep inside.

Unusual little machine Bill, which was used regularly at the local cricket ground which is part of the farm land they rent. They used to maintain the grounds every year up until 2004 using the roller and a little MF 35 on a set of gang mowers. However when the local team was amalgamated with another village the ground was then put back to grazing land. They still have the 35 too, and it's since been restored and still used on the farm, will post some pictures of it soon. :) 

• 2 weeks later...