"Walter Derwent's" Other Machines Past and Present

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that 865 is a real combine.... phoar... I think I need to go for a lie down now  :o :o

I spent many a happy hour working on/in one of those beasts  :-*:-*

They do look impressive, don't know of any others operating over my way, aside from the one mentioned which resides near York. A couple farms a little bit closer to home did run the smaller 665 model, but they've since been replaced. I do enjoy the style and lines of the older combines, not as keen on the curves of the more modern machines.

mmm fergys very nice, been a long time since i saw a 865 or similar, think ? we had one for 2 seasons ,but not 100% on that, might have been a 760, such a long time ago now

The only ones I've seen recently were the fleet of machines operated by the Clarke brothers in Norfolk in Classic Tractor magazine, very impressive.

yeah remember that issue, hell of a pic, prob i have is we swapped the combines every 3 seasons, so a lot went through the farms, given we had 2 at any one time, so i have sort of lost track hopefully when i get the pics i can see what we did have

Look forward to seeing those in the near future Sean. Here's a pair of lovingly restored Massey Harris Combine Harvesters on show.

First of all Ron Knight's 21 at the Little Casterton working weekend, the only time i've been, a few years ago now, some amazing old machines being properly worked

MasseyHarris21.jpg

MasseyHarris212.jpg

and finally a 31 on display at a local rally a several years ago.

MasseyHarris31.jpg

Oh that is so nice to see those older combines being put back to work ;) ;)

Thanks BC, if I can get the time off work, I'd like to go back to Little Casterton again, it was a brilliant day with some superb old harvesting equipment being used, and some rather nice crawlers and old Saunderson tractors too.  :)

With regard to the picture of the MF 865 combine in this topic and for those interested, here's some pictures on Robert Fearnley's website showing the Clarke brother's machines in full flight.

http://www.machinery.uk.com/interestingpics/mfcombines.htm

http://www.machinery.uk.com/interestingpics/mfcombines2.htm

Now for something different, a make and type of self propelled sprayer I haven't seen anywhere else other than on my trips to Cereals, the front boomed Matrots.

Matrot is a far more familiar name to me when it comes to self propelled Sugar Beet harvesters ( a few operated in the past over here) and not these interesting and unusual machines. Models shown are the M24D and M44D.

Matrot.jpg

Matrot2.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

why do they have it on the front then wats the advantage then ??

i was service engineer for garfords  in my experience the boom lift frame /parallel linkage was prone to cracking and failure. the pumps sometimes required fair amount of priming. moving the priming tank up above the main tank cured that problem. build quality in my opinion was poor.

Thanks BC, if I can get the time off work, I'd like to go back to Little Casterton again, it was a brilliant day with some superb old harvesting equipment being used, and some rather nice crawlers and old Saunderson tractors too.  :)

That sounds like a brilliant show.

Better sight on the booms and you can drive all they way up to the hedge for the field. No need for backing up.

i was service engineer for garfords  in my experience the boom lift frame /parallel linkage was prone to cracking and failure. the pumps sometimes required fair amount of priming. moving the priming tank up above the main tank cured that problem. build quality in my opinion was poor.

Thanks for the insight chaps on these unusual machines, much appreciated. There's a few Batemans and Househams in my neck of the woods but nothing like those machines.

Here's a pair of slightly more conventional self propelled sprayers from Berthoud and Tecnoma seen at Cereals 2008.

DSC01407.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

That sounds like a brilliant show.

It's a fantastic working weekend Bill, the year I went the themes were Saunderson, Allis Chalmers tractors and associated equipment, there were lots rather large crawlers belonging to Arthur Hinch ( i'll post the photos of these in my other topic) some nice HD series tractors. Ron Knight's harvesting equipment was amazing to watch, especially his trailed International 31T harvester being pulled by a Cat D2. Brilliant days action :)

I'm getting to the stage now where I actually prefer working days to the actaul vintage rallies where you just get to parade around the ring. I can't wait for our local working weekend coming up in May where Ill be able to have a play with my International Farmall Cub with mower and trailing plough.

I attach a link for you of last years event

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=22092.0

I'm getting to the stage now where I actually prefer working days to the actaul vintage rallies where you just get to parade around the ring. I can't wait for our local working weekend coming up in May where Ill be able to have a play with my International Farmall Cub with mower and trailing plough.

Some fanstastic machines on display and working there Bill including your little Cub, makes me think it might be worth making the trip up if I can get the time off from work.

I'm of a similar opinion and that's no disrespect to those involved with "static" rallies or those that keep tractors and machinery purely for concours viewing. Newby Hall near Ripon was the first event of that type I'd attended in quite some time and I had a very enjoyable day at a great venue with everything very well laid out and there was plenty of unusual machines to take photos of.

However later in the year I attended "The Festival of the Plough" working day (first time i'd been back there in a while too) and had a brilliant time drooling over all the crawlers and Roadless tractors that were busy working hard all day, the sight and sound of these machines doing what they did back in their actual working lives was just enthralling, so i'm more inclined to look for more working events and ploughing matches to attend in 2009.

given how little difference there seems to be between that technoma and berthoud i am surprised uh havnt done one yet, i can't see much difference in them

Aside from a "badge engineering" job they look almost the same, would love to see the Berthoud version modeled.

Here's another selection of photographs of self propelled sprayers taken at Cereals 2008.

Kelland's Agri-Buggy

DSC01410.jpg

Bateman RB26

DSC01412.jpg

S.A.M SLE4000

DSC01415.jpg

Knight

DSC01422.jpg

and finally a pair of Challenger platforms with Chafers on mounted on the back.

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

I much prefer working events, its a shame that the whether has been so cr@p in the last few years, washing out a lot of events. I have been to Little Casterton once, a couple of years ago, definitely worth it. Hoping to return this year

I much prefer working events, its a shame that the whether has been so cr@p in the last few years, washing out a lot of events. I have been to Little Casterton once, a couple of years ago, definitely worth it. Hoping to return this year

Aside from the events on my door step such as local YFC ploughing matches, Steam Rally and events that I attended last year I'm quite keen to get to the Roadless "90" working day in September as I missed Carrington last year through work commitments. Little Casterton is a must hopefully, Onslow Park Rally has always looked like a good do too, but I think it falls on the same bank holiday as one of my other major interests and hobbies, music, and Leeds Festival which i've already booked my ticket for.

Now for a few Deutz Fahr combine harvesters, Topliner 4060 seen outside local S.D.F dealership near Scarborough, 4065 working near Driffield a few years ago and S690 HTS seen at Cereals last year.

DeutzTopliner.jpg

DeutzTopliner2.jpg

DeutzTopliner3.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

Some fanstastic machines on display and working there Bill including your little Cub, makes me think it might be worth making the trip up if I can get the time off from work.

I'm of a similar opinion and that's no disrespect to those involved with "static" rallies or those that keep tractors and machinery purely for concours viewing. Newby Hall near Ripon was the first event of that type I'd attended in quite some time and I had a very enjoyable day at a great venue with everything very well laid out and there was plenty of unusual machines to take photos of.

However later in the year I attended "The Festival of the Plough" working day (first time i'd been back there in a while too) and had a brilliant time drooling over all the crawlers and Roadless tractors that were busy working hard all day, the sight and sound of these machines doing what they did back in their actual working lives was just enthralling, so i'm more inclined to look for more working events and ploughing matches to attend in 2009.

Well David the BA event is a good one on the Scottish scene and I really do enjoy this event. In 2007 we even had a visit from a FTF member on here from Canada "the other green" aka Adam. He didn't come specially but was back to the UK for a month's holiday and came along from the Sunday show. That year we even got a shower of bullet type hailstones on the Sunday around 3pm which kinda put an early stop to the show. Last year the weather was brilliant with just a tiny bit of drizzle on the Sunday morning.

Seeing as your are interested in working events I attach a couple of other Scottish working days I visited but did not take part in last year.

A working day of mainly Massey Harris at Guthrie in Angus

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=23196.0

And a working day of Leylands and Nuffield's at Kirriemuir in Angus

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=24201.0

Seeing as your are interested in working events I attach a couple of other Scottish working days I visited but did not take part in last year.

A working day of mainly Massey Harris at Guthrie in Angus

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=23196.0

And a working day of Leylands and Nuffield's at Kirriemuir in Angus

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=24201.0

Some amazing machines at both those working days, i'll certainly be looking through the calendar at work to see whether I can get time off to attend a few more events than what I did last year, thanks for sharing those links Bill.  :)