hedgerow hero's & forgotten friends

MJB1

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look what I found on a farm while we were silaging . ... .

A REAL Britains Livestock/Tanker/Cement/Skip truck!! Never seen one before, this one was badged Fiat. She looks like she may have seen better days than this!

post-227-132639105969_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639105988_thumb.jpg

There was also a not to far gone Triumph Vitesse convertible. Looked like a binned restoration project. We had a 13/60 1600 I think it was, not a convertible though. Dad took too long restoring it and ended up on a rush job just to get it gone.

A REAL Britains Livestock/Tanker/Cement/Skip truck!! Never seen one before, this one was badged Fiat. She looks like she may have seen better days than this!

Nearly, but that's the Fiat version - the Britains one was based on the Magirus Deutz (http://www.magirusdeutz.co.uk/images/256320.jpg).  That one has certainly seen better days (and a lot of worse ones too!)

I think they were basically the same cab, with different grille and the Fiat using a Fiat engine and the Magirus using a Deutz.  IVECO (Industrial Vehicle Corporation) was formed in 1975 from Magirus Deutz, Unic, Fiat Trucks, OM and Lancia Special Vehicles.  The brands were amalgamated under the IVECO name in the mid 80's, and Iveco merged with Ford Trucks (UK) in 1986. 

A farm I worked on 20 years ago had the 'Magical' Deutz version with a pig box on it, but sadly I don't have a pic. 

I thought there was a Fiat Britains one ???

The toy was based on the Magirus Deutz 168M-16FL, and yes, there was a Fiat version - an IVECO FIAT (which has the same grille/front panel as the Magirus Deutz which is different from the earlier FIAT shown in the nettles).

The full list of Britains variants was:

Magirus Deutz IVECO

IVECO FIAT

Mercedes (cement mixer)

Volvo (fuel tanker)

Leyland (MMB milk tanker)

Ford (skip lorry and later versions of the cattle truck)

The later milk tankers, including the US issue 'Real Inc' milk tanker and the last version of the cattle lorry had no manufacturers badging at all.

Of those, only the two Iveco versions were correct.

i'm surprised really tris , living down the road from frome ! these magi deutz & iveco trucks were popular 8wheeler tipper chassis - cab combo's in their day , but must admit the larger artic iveco turbostars were quite popular too. the smaller variant 7.5 tonner  iveco-fiat were also popular for cattle box / horse box bodies,

know a haulier who ran turbostars, really reliable engines & drivelines , shame they rusted out else he'd still be buying them , still kept buying iveco, after the turbostars he had the ford iveco eurotechs & eurostars, now just runs iveco eurostar, soon run stralis i expect

We'd be talking before I'd noticed the trucks I expect though mate. I remember Daf 2/3000, Volvo FL10, Merc (SK?) and Leyland Constructors but never an Iveco before seeing a Turbostar. Same block (V8) as a marine variant used in tugboats I am told by Mums partner who used to drive one.

looky see what i been finding ! :D

couple of usefull trailers

Image005Small-1.jpg

a nice Kidd direct cut forager to fill them with

Image006Small-1.jpg

& for some fert spreading the use of either a taskers land drive or an amazone  :)

Image004Small.jpg

Image011Small.jpg

now please excuse my ignorance about the taskers land drive  but i've never seen one fitted with the top hopper , so i'm asuming that it was a way of loading 100cwt bags into it from trailer or floor level ?

Great pics and a great idea of topic, well done.

The taskers hopper is for loading 50kg/100cwt bags from ground level when bags were all handled manually. Lorries arrive loaded with Nitram, unload by hand with the drivers into low cart sheds. Then remove into the hopper and empty into the spreader. Wouldn't have mattered if the sheds were accessable, we didn't have a loader tractor!  Vicon had a similar system for the Multispreader.

Nothing, it was great. The farmer hardly sells a thing when he upgrades and always buys second hand. So say he has over ten trailed foragers dotted about the farm and three self propelleds! ::)

Nothing, it was great. The farmer hardly sells a thing when he upgrades and always buys second hand. So say he has over ten trailed foragers dotted about the farm and three self propelleds! ::)

Sounds like a guy near us :D :D

Come on Trissle we are waiting ;D;)

Archived