The price of combines

CX820Joe

The latest FW has the combine buyers guide, and out of 146 models, there are only 4 below £100,000 - New Holland TC5060 FS & SL, and the Sampo Rosenlew 2065 and 2085.  The most expensive by a long way is the Claas Lexion 600 Terra Trac which will set you back £424,280, while the NH CR9090 elevation is £371,539.  The most expensive Deere is the S690i hill master at £362,687.  I wish i still had an old issue of power farming when the most expensive combine at the time was a Claas Commandor which was less than £150,000 - you could get yourself a Tucano 320 with 20 foot header for that money now - the only Claas cheaper is the diddy little Avero they have just launched.  They haven't put this up on the website yet, so if anyone wants to know any more info give me a shout.

On the subject of combines, JD has a combined (pardon the pun) 92 page web brochure covering their range available on their website:

http://www.deere.co.uk/en_GB/products/brochures/agriculture/combine.html

and we thought buying a new mf32 for 80 odd thousand was a lot all them years back :D :D :D

i know they offer discounts ect on that list price but it does baffle me how some contractors even a few farmers seem to change every couple of years ,suerly it cant have made money in that short a term

I was talking to someone the other day whose brother runs a New Holland CX8060...I took photos of what I thought was it last year (07 reg) and so when i saw it this season I didn't worry about getting photos of it, but was told that they had bought a new one for this season!  You would think an 07 would have a few more than 2 seasons in it wouldn't you?

Do some people lease combines, like companies lease cars/vans? Perhaps that would lead to shorter periods of ownership?? Just a thought?

The two guys I spoke to this year who were talking of buying brand new Lexion 600s were in the market to replace their 4 year 600s - which might make more sense over replacing 2/3 year old kit?

Do some people lease combines, like companies lease cars/vans? Perhaps that would lead to shorter periods of ownership??

I would say quite a high proportion of combines (and tractors too) are on lease nowadays.  Certainly a lot a bigger farming operations do it this way as they can budget for a known yearly cost - servicing and some of the repairs and replacements are often covered within the lease/warranty which also removes the difficulty of big unexpected repair bills.

I used to work on a Velcourt farm and all their combines were on a 4 year lease, and changed for new at the end of the lease period (that amounted to around 30 new combines within the company each year), Quadtracs were on 4 year lease too, and smaller tractors either on 2 year lease or short term hire over the busy seasons.

i was always told to take 20% off list price with ag machinery when working out machinery costings.

The main thing nowadays businesses need a fixed budget and leasing combines and machinery does this, maintenance is included in the cost. When the lease is up these machines just enter the used market in the uk or end up in eastern europe.

It does annoy me when people refer to combines as being complex machines, they may seem daunting but its not nuclear physics.

I'm still amazed at how quickly people trade kit in we've just bought a 60hour old Claas lexion 580+ with 35ft front and to make figures stack up it will have to be here 8 years we tryed it on a 3 year basis and means my tractor have to be here 10 years and 20,000 hours same with Claas so we're wondering how other figures stack up ??? ???

the basic machines not complex i guess archbarch, but the computers that allow the thing to run are now, everythingsa simple click of a mouse to fix stuff now, ok for a trained guy, but not farmer giles

True but electronics can be by passed with a bit of thought and co operation from the dealer at they end of the day dealers dont want anyone to fix machinery because they make a fortune out of call out/ labour charges.

I remember one farm i worked on had a new control lever on a jd combine instead of isolating the broken switch and mounting it elsewhere the dealer said because the switch was part of the lever we needed a new lever the farm went along with it.