LAMMA 2010

archbarch

i am going with college, its free to get in but we've got to pay for a coach because they aren't aloud to book all the college minibuses out  :'(  and according to our lecturer its the best machinery show in the UK and he says when your there you can get a proper full english for a fiver  ;D

there is also a free bus from Newark train stations to the showground.

What makes this a good machinery show in my opinion is that its held at a quiet  time of the year, it has a high regard from farmers and exhibitors probably due to the shows origins and it hasnt been turned into a glorified sunday market.

It has also benefitted massively from the demise of Smithfield, although its success is now causing access problems at Newark. With it being at the convergence of two exceptionally busy roads (A17 and A46) with the busy A1, the traffic problem experienced by many last year is not going to be easy to solve.

It has come a very long way since the days when the few exhibitors were only from the Lincs area and all fitted into the one exhibition hall on the Lincolnshire showground at Grange d'Lings.  It has rather outgrown its title now  :laugh:

What makes this a good machinery show in my opinion is that its held at a quiet  time of the year, it has a high regard from farmers and exhibitors probably due to the shows origins and it hasnt been turned into a glorified sunday market.

Totally agree with that - the Highland show for example is not worth visiting now, in my humble opinion.

Normally come down but won't make it next year. :(

• 2 weeks later...

i am going with college, its free to get in but we've got to pay for a coach because they aren't aloud to book all the college minibuses out  :'(  and according to our lecturer its the best machinery show in the UK and he says when your there you can get a proper full english for a fiver  ;D

the breakfast is more like £7.00 but well worth it ;)  i hope to go, usually go with my dads boss and make a car full up but we spent 2 hrs getting out the car park last time so he refuses to go so just my dad and me this year i guess.

I would say DSA/Robin Hood (Finningley) is probably half to three quarters of an hour away (most of it on the A1).

There is also Humberside (Kirmington) between Brigg and Grimsby (A180/A15/A46) and East Midlands (Castle Donington) south of Nottingham (A453/A46) which are a similar distance from Newark, but may by a slightly longer journey timewise.

talking to a customer of mine yesterday who makes subsoilers etc under the "challenger" brand, there going to lamma to display for the first time

Thats a good sign im sure they wont be dissapointed, i can see this show will soon attract alot of overseas visitors and it wont be long before it outgrows the Newark site.

Overseas visitors do already come to it,  though not in the same numbers that come to Cereals.  There is a bit of room for further expansion, but not a great lot. 

It's difficult to know where it could go that would provide the necessary room and facilities, combined with ease of access (even with the excellent road links via A17, A46 and A1, traffic management and speedy access to the site are already causing problems).  Perhaps Stoneleigh or NEC??  Perhaps it has also outgrown its name ?? (Lincolnshire Agricultural Machinery Manufacturers Association Show).  Its influence is now far wider than Lincolnshire, and it attracts more than just machinery manufacturers.

Its popularity has increased enormously the last 2 or 3 years, almost certainly as a direct result of the demise of Smithfield.

I would say DSA/Robin Hood (Finningley) is probably half to three quarters of an hour away (most of it on the A1).

There is also Humberside (Kirmington) between Brigg and Grimsby (A180/A15/A46) and East Midlands (Castle Donington) south of Nottingham (A453/A46) which are a similar distance from Newark, but may by a slightly longer journey timewise.

Thanks ploughmaster - will see later on what I will do ;)

• 3 weeks later...