Tractor/Loader vs Tele-handler

archbarch

most farms say that the Tele-handler is the most used machine on the farm, however apart from reach i think a tractor/loader would be a better option on most farms.

Tractor and loader design has improved so much, a tractor is more flexible adapting to other tasks, in most cases a tractor/loader would have cheaper running costs, towing and haulage is more efficient and legal.

Speaking to a few reps on loader stands at LAMMA there is increasing interest in tractor/loaders especially

for high HP tractors.

I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.

I think both have a place, and I do think modern front end loaders are seriously underrated by many people. Gone are the days of the 1/2 tonne maximum capacity, 12' max height loaders mounted on the oldest/clapped out 70hp tractor of days gone by. Unfortunately, that is still the image quite a few people have of them.

I had a couple of years working on a Velcourt farm (Velcourt have always tended to use front loaders rather than telehandlers - possibly in part because Case-IH don't supply a telehandler  ;) ), and we only had a pair of MXM 130s fitted with ALO loaders and interchangeable pallet tines, standard bucket or toe-tip grain bucket.  I wasn't really looking forward to using them when I first went there, but was very pleasantly surprised how easy to use and versatile they were.  With the toe-tip, loading grain into lorries was not a problem (even from over above ground air ducts), and the bucket held almost a tonne. 

Having a loader on both the ferti spreading tractor and the ferti carting tractor also meant that bags could be unloaded from the trailer and stood in the field and coukd then be moved to enable the spreader mounted crane to get to them easily, turning what would otherwise have been a full time operation for 3 or 4 men into a job for one man full time and another bringing an occassional load out.

A telehandler really only scores if long reach and/or maneouverability in a tight space is paramount (though a lot of newer large telehandlers are not that maneouverable!)

You need to consider hydraulics also.

Think about a telehandler, these are designed for oil work, cooling, pumping, moving (valves etc).

A tractor is designed for heavy draft work and hydraulics second, the oil coolers are much smaller.

Also, the pumps are totally different and do not give the same efficiency.

Lift capacity also, the tractor loader options are not as high.

I used to drive a telehandler for three years, it was manouverable, towed well, great visibility etc etc.

Also the boom is made to be attached to the chasis, he 6820 and loader I also used was not, this put huge strain on the chasis frame of the tractor.

Final point, centre of gravity.....

In my opinion telehandlers all the way!!

Jez

8)

There is also the travelling distance, i worked on a unit which was split in 3 with a good hours drive between each section, a telehandler was slower and less comfotable while travelling where as a tractor travels quicker and is far more comfortable, on the unit in wales they ran 2 tractor loaders, worked a unit in birmingham split across 6 chicken farms but all close togeather, confined spaces and short travelling distance telehandler scored best.

both have uses i guess, they are trying to make the handler more useable like the merlos with 3 points on the back, but as you also said theres a lot more big hp tractors arround now with loaders fitted, know of a good few this way now, several valtra t's a nh 7000 several mf6 series and a 7 series to i think ,all have been seen working with loader on and off , loaders always used to be the land of smaller mid size tractors like marks 5480,

At the end of the day as Sean said they both have uses, If you have alot of road work to do but not a massive amount to lift then a tractor loader suits it well but if its the opposite then you want a telehandler. Skeggs who came and done our straw this year just ran there telehandlers about on low loaders which I guess is a half decent compromise

I'm not really in a position to make an informed judgement in all honesty... but I have used both... all be it only a few hours total (less than 3 !) on a telehandler..

All I can say on the subject is that I really do love my loader on my 5480... as stated above... loaders of the past that were capable of only a small amount of lift are a thing of the past. 

My machine is well specified with hydraulics... if anything they can cycle faster than a telehandler.. lift rams are double acting (that's powered up and powered down for those who don;t know what that means.. as in single acting is up only... gravity puling it down) and connected to 110ltrs/min of flow from CCLS (closed circuit, load sensing) hydraulics that supply max pressure on demand the lift can only be described as 'rapid' ... if anything... you need to keep the revs down when lifting of you loose what's in the bucket it's that fast !

With transport 'float' and suspended axles the clonky old loader on the road is also a thing of the past... not to mention the fact that the beams are slim enough to not be overpowering and in the way... oh... and also not forgetting enclosed pipework too..

In short... I'm a loader man... but then again I've done about 1000 hours on a loader machine in this last 18 months... and 3 (max) on a telehandler.

My tractor is up the higher end of medium I guess at 155hp max.. but being a 4 cylinder it lends itself well to yard work as it;s not so long.  I'd imagine a loader equipped 7480 with loader would be some tool... but not one for confined spaces.

Interesting topic this... thanks for posting

well for us the teleporter is best because our cattle crews are very tight and our john deere 3220 teleporter struggles in most of our crews and for mucking out we have to hire a bobcat as its the only thing that can get in the corners and low sheds 

loader tractors are better if there is a lot of haulage involved because teleporters aren't too good on the road 

I like both, I'd rather cart straw off from the field with a tractor loader & trailer but I'd rather load wagons or stack in buildings with a telehandler....

That's very similar to us Simon. We always work the 3095 in the field loading the trailers and the Merlo at home unloading. The way it is now we don't have much option as the Merlo doesn't have a tow hitch but my opinion is I'd feel better and safer hauling the load on the main road with the tractor anyway........ :-\

We only ever load up one of our sheds with the tractor because the bales can only fo 2 high anyway but the Merlo is such a versatile tool with the crab steer it makes piling the bales in the straw shed far easier than doing it with the tractor, purely due to manouverability and reach........

i would not have either of them we use loading shovels

Again, they have their uses and drawbacks like everything.

Tractor loader much better, gets more use, telehandler is often sat in  the yard not doing anything.

Also, i wouldnt like driving down the road with 40ft bale trailer in a telehandler  :of

Sat in the yard? That was like ours sometimes but when it's busy you can't live with out it...

I used to pull a 40ft trailer with the 3400 John Deere.....

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,22793.105.html

And no probs on the road when you keep them in front wheel steer only!

saw a jd pulling a 40ft trailer a few years back jez, and to me it didnt look very safe, poss down to the fact they had gone 3 round bales high and on the tight turn right just  behind us the trailer was at a hell of an angle, so much so i got up and wandered away from them as i could see the thing going over

do telehandlers have tow weight restrictions on them then? given they are not truely designed for towing like a tractor for instance?

even though manufacturers fit pick up hitches, light sockets and braking systems to telehandlers theyre still not legal, i think its a 3t or 4t limit so most farmers break the law by towing with them.

another pro for the tractor/loader would be cheaper insurance plus no need for the forklift/handler test for the operator.

only ever had tractor loaders , ive never  properly used a handler  I always wanted a handler due to pretty much whats being said.............faster, safer in use,with 4 wheel steer more manoeverable,higher lift , longer reach. BUT ........................ having done a fair few thousand hours on tractors with loaders over the years, I`m  fairly good with mine, the new one ,  claas fl80,  3yrs old almost,took a bit of getting used to after the fergie loaders  , the grab has been a god send ,as I say BUT, nowadays I have no interest in getting a handler......give me my trusty old  tractor and loader. yes they have limits but you havent got the versatility in the handler and when costs have to be kept to a minimum you have to take everything into consideration  not least the insurance issues regarding legislation  and the fact I have an employee who does his best but isnt one i`d be happy to let him loose on £40 000 worth of machine without some sort of training , again another cost.

<blockquote>Tractor loader much better, gets more use, telehandler is often sat in  the yard not doing anything.

Also, i wouldnt like driving down the road with 40ft bale trailer in a telehandler  [img alt=:of]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif

</blockquote>

Sat in the yard? That was like ours sometimes but when it's busy you can't live with out it...

I used to pull a 40ft trailer with the 3400 John Deere.....

a 40ft :o, wouldnt like to be driving that and yes especially at harvest, our telehandler is never sat around, we atchually had 2 last years harvest

at the end of the day it depends if you can find enough work to use a telehandler for, our 526s rarely has a day without being used but if you want to do alot of roadwork then tractor/loader is surely the way to go  :-\

sure if you had hardly any work for a handler you would never buy one, i know with the manitou we used to have she used to do aleast 7 hours nearly everyday, as far as i know the new loader thats home is running rings round the manitou  :of

tele-handlers may put in the hours but so would a tractor/loader if it was the only machine on the farm for lifting. Apart from reach and working in tight spaces although i dont think the latter being an issue with compact high hp tractors and a good operator, what can a telehandler do that a tractor and loader cant??

another plus point for tractor/loader would be servicing, alot easier and cheaper than a telehandler???

i accept there is a place for a telehandler but i reckon they will be fewer around in the future.