BC's Farming Photos 2010 to 2016

BC

Well on the way home last night I spotted the first tractor ploughing  in 2010 in my area "a big green un"  but it was unmanned and the chap in the JD boiler suit was standing gassing to a chap in a 4x 4 jeep so no photos.

On the way home tonight just past the Cairnie roundabout between Westhill and Peterculter I spied one of the Nicol's of Westside Farm Skene ploughing "ley" with a NH tractor and KV 5 furrow reversible. I swung in their road  end and walked down to get some shots.

It was "old Arthur"  Nicol himself who must be at least 75 ish working away in his ever so clean and tidy NH TM155 on a 52 plate.

Apologies this one was taken at long range and is out of focus >:( >:(

10022010002.jpg

Westside of Skene or "Westies" as it is know is notorious for stones. Here Arthur is collecting as he goes

10022010003.jpg

Back in the furrow

10022010005.jpg

10022010006.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes  I have to agree his ploughing is "straight as a die" as they say.... he is well past retiring age but as I sure some younger people could learn from "old Arthur"....but I will exclude the likes of "jdc" aka John Cranston and invite Me Lordie "Lord Ferguson" aka Marky or Mark to take a look and take some tips...maybe Blues are better ploughers ??? ???

For whatever reaso last night Photobucket was playing up. It would not let me copy and I had to expand each image and well frankly I got fed up and turned it off. Anyway here are the remaining shots from yesterday

10022010011.jpg

10022010012.jpg

More stones

10022010013.jpg

10022010014.jpg

Some nice work going on there, he certainly knows what he is doing, I used to be happy if it ended up brown side up ;D ;D ;D

Even with the stones it looks like good soil, does the plough have to have auto reset in case it strikes one?

Some nice work going on there, he certainly knows what he is doing, I used to be happy if it ended up brown side up ;D ;D ;D

Even with the stones it looks like good soil, does the plough have to have auto reset in case it strikes one?

Well he has had many years of practice Mike.

I remember when his tractor was a C or maybe it was F reg David Brown 990. I'm sure they still have that tractor to this day.

Oh yes Mike the boards were clanking up and down quite a few times as I watched him in action ;) ;)

Those are nice pics Bill.  Looks like pasture being done up....Let us know what happens to that field....if you can follow it along that is...like to know...we dont see plowing in my area up north plowing is out of date in our area...now use nothing but harrows....tillage equipement....I think because we are so flat the wind would blow most of the topsoil away......

Well Rick I pass that field daily Monday to Friday on my way to and from work so yes good idea I will take shots throughout the season. I suspect it will be barley and grass sown in with it but that's just my guess ??? ???

On the way home yesterday I spotted this MF 6490 on an 09 plate ploughing with a 5 furrow reversible just beside one of the Marshall trailer farms "Mains of Congraig" just up the road from Clinterty Agricultural college.

Apologies but light was not too good since the field is shadowed by a line of tall trees ...well that's my excuse anyway ;) ;)

11022010001.jpg

11022010002.jpg

11022010003.jpg

I gave the driver the thumbs up and when he turned he pullled up alongside me switched of his engine and opened the door and we had a right "news".

I always ask folk "I hope you don't mind me taking photos buts its for FTF ;) "

Anyway he did not mind and responded "take as many photos as you like as long as it's not me"

Turns out it was not Marshall's he was a Bremner from the farm on the road from Clinterty Kinellar to Kingswells. Thr tractor is fitted with John Deere GPS so there is a bit of green and yellow on her too. They are tattie growers and said that GPS is great for tattie drilling and said that you could work well into the night and achieve perfectly straight drills. He was saying that it probably paid for itself within the first year. He also said that Kenny Marshall was not convinced about it and Marshall Farms don't use it despite farming in the region of 3,000 acres. Now that is what we call a big "toon" in Aberdeenshire.

In our chat the weather in general came up and well he said that this was the first day out with the plough because of the snow and wet. He said that his father and grandfather always said never plough down snow since it puts cold into the ground. He said that he once did it with endrigs on a field and when it came to combining he saw a distinct difference in the height of the crop.

I have never heard of this before but the chap assured me he would never plough down snow again ;) ;)

Anyway enough chat and on with the show

11022010004.jpg

11022010005.jpg

11022010006.jpg

11022010007.jpg

great pics Bill, thats right about the snow after a certain depth the soil temprature doesnt change so if you plough snow you get a cold layer.

That looks lovely soil up there, but even with good soil there arent too many so called ploughmen that can plough up grass??

The Grampian Supermatch ploughing match is scheduled for tomorrow at Auchterless. I'm toying with the idea of going along to see the professional ploughers but I really have things I need to get finished at home.

Interesting Bill - never heard of ploughing down snow being bad. Occasionally I've ploughed wet land with a bit of frost to hold the tractor up with no ill effects.

Lovely barley land.  :D

is there a tradition of doing the ploughing this time of year in Scotland for a ploughing match to be held???

Well most of the ploughing matches have been cancelled due to the bad weather and that means the entrants for the super match will be down too since some ploughers won't have earned enough points to qualify for this match.

Archived