BC's Farming Photos 2010 to 2016

BC

Interesting Bill - never heard of ploughing down snow being bad. Occasionally I've ploughed wet land with a bit of frost to hold the tractor up with no ill effects.

Lovely barley land.  :D

Well to be honest John neither had I. I guess it will be barley or tatties that will be going in.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our chat the weather in general came up and well he said that this was the first day out with the plough because of the snow and wet. He said that his father and grandfather always said never plough down snow since it puts cold into the ground. He said that he once did it with endrigs on a field and when it came to combining he saw a distinct difference in the height of the crop.

I have never heard of this before but the chap assured me he would never plough down snow again ;) ;) 

I've certainly heard that, and like the chap you spoke to, have seen the effects of doing so. 

On the way home from work today I was diverted again due to road closures and had to pass Clinterty Agriculture College ( My old man's employer )

Maybe I should have posted this in "What made you laugh" because what did I see ???

12022010001.jpg

12022010003.jpg

The pull is on

12022010008.jpg

Looks like number 2 MF is getting bogged down too ;) ;)

12022010009.jpg

12022010010.jpg

Well looks as some heavier tackle is require for the recovery but I could not stay any longer because  the rain was getting heavier

You never know i may still see it on Monday if it is still bogged down ??? ???

The last ones

12022010017.jpg

12022010018.jpg

Next Gerald arrives with the stone cart with the old 1996 N reg 7840. He was telling me his own TM is in at Ravenshill for front axle repairs after a Corsa overtook him and smashed into him as he was turning into the road end with a load of bales last Saturday. No one injured but well the Corsa is a write off.

12022010019.jpg

Sorry another rain spot on lens

12022010020.jpg

12022010021.jpg

12022010022.jpg

nice pictures bill thats one clean tractor not a mark on her great to see some of the older boys still at it show us all how its done ;D

It certainly is Ben. I was speaking with the chap who works for them last night and Gerald was saying the tractor has done around 5,000 hours. The wheels have actually been painted and every year before silage time Arthur gives the linkages a touch up with paint just so she looks the business ;) ;)

And Gerald did confirm Arthur doesn't really like anyone using "his tractor" ;) ;)

Some nice action shots there Bill of some very tidy ploughing. That TM looks very well looked after, a credit to it's operator. Still awaiting my first opportunities to find some spring work to photograph, not all that much going on at the moment around here.

On the way home from work yesterday at the start of the Drum straight I spied silver Valtra valmet with plough at Balskavie Farm. Unfortunately when I got there it was unmanned and wasn't working >:( >:(

15022010001.jpg

Nice pictures Bill as usual.

Plenty working out this way as well our eldest son was in a claas ares on saturday farmer was telling my dad the same about ploughing under snow, the farmer is in his 70's and said that he would never plough snow under as it stunts growth of the crops.

Super shots Bill, poor Fergie's in a tricky spot with that dung spreader........

Yes he was well down Mart. I did not have boots with me or I would have had a walk down to get clearer shots. I don't know what got in out..assuming it is out of course ;) ;)

Oh eh ...as a Dundonian would say Mart ;) ;)

This farmer gained planning permission to store caravans ans motor homes and boats so he is on a real earner. People store at Dyce but they say the vans..etc are contaminated with aircraft fuel

Heaven knows ...just what I have been told

Just been looking at the Valtra picture again Bill, appears as though it's a Dundee registered machine being on an SP plate if I'm reading the plate right........

PB was playing up the other night Mart ....here is another of the Dundonian Valtra ;) ;)

15022010002.jpg

When I was in past my pal Stuart's yard the other night I took some photos of his X reg MF 2640 since in the past it was actually owned by the Nicol's. I must email them the photos. Stuart is actually now thinging of selling it since despite asking teh blacksmith to come an measure up for weight box and winch etc he has never come. If tractors or excavators are needed in the recoveries he tends just to hire the nearest farmer or contractor.

16022010001.jpg

15022010001.jpg

15022010002.jpg

16022010.jpg

Archived