help ive got stuck

ford 8830

so many farmers think reduced compaction means they can travel when the grounds not fit!!! 

Ive been upto the axles a fair few times on Black land but thats like driving across a sponge. I had to be winched out twice, all the Beet contractors have winches to get their SP beet harvesters out, with big kit its the only sensible way to get them out.

trying to drill winter wheat. this is the area from where they moved the beet off. Ropa mause got stuck in here. ploughed alright so thought i would give it a go!!!!!!!!!

got a quad trac comming on monday to give some assistance. the drill is lifted up and still in so guess will take abit of effort.......... more photos to come i guess :of :of

Why would anyone get a rollocking for it? Happens to us all at times, looks dry on top or ploughed over dry and then once you start to go through it you sink, not easy to get out of either with a trailed drill as reversing them is often out of the question

hook the drill off, stop one track and drive the other forward (if you can do that?) have the quad trac pulling at the angle shes going to go  ;)

Then let it dry then get a normal tractor in to pull the drill out  ;)

Thats my theroy on the whole situation  ::)

haha all you can do when that happens is get out and have a laugh ;D . I was always told that rubber tracks were C*#p in wet ground etc as they didn't produce any traction.chap that used one round here would leave it in the shed if things were a bit on the wet side...as if he were to get stuck he would have a BIG problem,,,errrrm as you have :of;D

Thats what the sales pitch is, our neighbour had to redrill alot of their rape last year though due to excess compaction caused by the Challenger on the drill, that what wasn't you could see the track marks in for a few months, was so hard that the plants were stunted :of

the whole issue of tracks is true when its wet but the kit we have is all geared for this 3000 acres one challenger and a 6930. no point getting the jd to help!!!!!!!!

i have never had any problems in the summer will pull 6 metre solo and double press all day at 9-10k so one hell of a single pass.

and as for going through the wet area well just doing as the boss ordered!!!!!!!

no bollocking just laughed as only 30 acres left to drill, owner normally drives so me just relief so put it down to bad operator ::) ::)

Growler looks as if he could tug the little oik out, one of the other benefits to rubber tracks is you supposedly get all the + points of a tracked machine, better traction, weight distribution, and all that but because they are rubber straight out the field straight on the Tarmac. I have never seen one or heard of one of our steel tracked 360's getting stuck and they get in some very tricky places, on the other hand the rubber tracked Kubby's do get stuck, and the tracks are always breaking. :'(

I am not a great fan of rubber tracks, but they do spread the weight over a bigger area than wheels and tyres do.  Where the theory falls down with the likes of the big Challengers, Quadtracs and JD on tracks, is the much greater weight of the machine - I'm not sure what that Challenger weighs, but a fully fueled up Quadtrac weighs in just shy of 25 tonnes without the weight of all the muck stuck to it (and of course the weight of the drivers lunch bag).

In the case we see here, there is the added effect of the Free Flow drill which are a very dead weight pull in themselves.

On the subject of drilling winter wheat into frosty ground, I would say it is a pointless exercise.  A couple of years ago I drilled wheat straight behind the plough on some ex-beet land.  Drilling spread over two days and there was a very sharp frost overnight.  I had drilled almost up to where the plough had got to, just leaving a strip varying from about 0.5m to 1.5m.  This was very frozen the next morning when we resumed (that mornings fresh ploughing came up the same as it had done the previous day of course).  That strip that was drilled into frozen soil took nearly twice as long to emerge, didn't tiller and never caught up.  At harvest, the grains appeared much smaller and we felt there were less of them, and we were thankful we didn't drill the whole field into frost. 

On a side note, there also appeared to be a small (negative) difference in the crop where the frost had been poughed down.

Why would anyone get a rollocking for it? Happens to us all at times, looks dry on top or ploughed over dry and then once you start to go through it you sink, not easy to get out of either with a trailed drill as reversing them is often out of the question

I would if I got stuck with one of our tractors.