what did you take you test in

jordantaylor

i didnt do my tractor test, waited until i was 17 did my car test in a Ford fiesta passed 2nd time, but within a hour of failing first time i was back in the Muir Hill driving on the road, with L plates of course. The road laws in this country were mad and still are!!

I thought you were a JD man??

Just because I drive them at work doesn't mean I'm a big fan of them.........can''t pick and choose employers because of what brand tractor they run. Ford and Renault will always be my favourites ;)

I past mine on a 2 WD CASE IH 1394 D"REG way back in 1989 i regard this as one of the best tractors

lovely gear shift just good for a post school leaver they take allot of stick especialy from a 17 year old at the time  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Anyone who has passed their car test can automaticaly drive a tractor on the road, look on your driving license and you should see the class of vehicles you are permitted to drive, agricultural, pedestrian operated and road roller in catagory F.

yeah got all that tim, trailers up to 7.5 tons etc, just wondered if rules had changed in reguards to the older licences,

lad i work with found out that he wasnt ment to be driving the 1 ton transit he had last year, only been driving it for 2 years since he passed his test to, boss never noticed on the anual checks either,took his bit just before xmas for that, 

Things have changed over the years concerning what you can and what you can't drive, when I took my test, car that is, I could drive anything up to and including a 7.5 tonner, pull trailers to 3.5 ton braked and 4 ton coupled brakes, motorcycle up to 250cc and a few other things and those of us that passed when these catagories were allowed on the one license still can. Now you have to take a seperate test for practically everything, Taking your test for a car still automatically qualifies you to drive a tractor, about the only catagory that has not changed, but you still can't pull a trailer over 3.5 Tonnes with a tractor untill you're 21.

Things have changed over the years concerning what you can and what you can't drive, when I took my test, car that is, I could drive anything up to and including a 7.5 tonner, pull trailers to 3.5 ton braked and 4 ton coupled brakes, motorcycle up to 250cc and a few other things and those of us that passed when these catagories were allowed on the one license still can. Now you have to take a seperate test for practically everything, Taking your test for a car still automatically qualifies you to drive a tractor, about the only catagory that has not changed, but you still can't pull a trailer over 3.5 Tonnes with a tractor untill you're 21.

Where ever did that come from? Thats a complete work of fiction as we use 18/19 year old students every year previous to this year for carting as do many places. The only restriction is on the type of the trailer ie. two wheels or four wheels close coupled (no articulated ones) and under a certain width

Where ever did that come from? Thats a complete work of fiction as we use 18/19 year old students every year previous to this year for carting as do many places. The only restriction is on the type of the trailer ie. two wheels or four wheels close coupled (no articulated ones) and under a certain width

#

the bosses night team for harvest time the forager driver is 36 and the lads carting are anywhere from 16 to 22 ???

i think the 3.5t limit is on a car/jeep &trailer until your 21 combination i think thats how it goes here so its probably the same  ???

3.5t gross maybe over here but if I remember correctly you need to do the test for a trailer if you are towing loads where the trailer and its contents are over 750kgs.

Edit: doesn't the 3.5t refer to the max weight most vehicles are plated for towing in the UK?

There is always confusion over towing weights, a little off the topic I know but towing with non-agricultural vehicles is that the limit is 750kg for an un-braked trailer, 3.5tonnes for overrun brakes and 4tonnes for coupled brakes, these weights apply to combined weight of vehicle, trailer and load, what is now termed as 'maximum allowed mass'. (MAM). The towing regulations for agricultural tractors is different in that you don't have to take a seperate test to tow with a tractor but you are still restricted to the 3.5tonnes, trailer and load total weight, until you are 21. Lenghth and width restrictions also apply but this is another story.

I'm the same as archbarch; I've never taken a test on a tractor, having passed my car test before first driving a tractor and subsequently driving tractors etc on a Cat B licence. The first tractor I drove on the road (in 1980) was a 1974 model MF 165 with a flexi clad cab  :)

Sorry to go way off topic, but just to clear up the confusion on age/weight/width limits:

There is an age related weight restriction on the weight of the tractor itself.  If the unloaded weight of the 'Agricultural Motor Vehicle' exceeds 7370kg, you must be 21 to drive it on the road, regardless of the licence you hold.  Note: a lot of large tractors exceed this, as do many self propelled sprayers, forage harvesters, forklifts/loading shovels and combines!

To take a tracklayer or road roller on the highway, you need to be 21 regardless of weight and width.

Note; both tracklayers (Cat H) and road rollers (Cat G) have their own categories, and a full Cat B or Cat F licence only functions as a provisional licence for both.

However, there is no age related restriction on the combined weight of tractor + trailer, even for 16 year olds holding a full Cat F licence, provided the drawing tractor is below 7370kg and neither tractor or trailer exceeds 2.45 metres width.  The weight limits which do apply are those given under construction and use regulations, and apply to all tractor/trailer combinations. 

As far as brakes on agricultural trailers are concerned:

Trailers with a maximum permitted gross weight of up to 750kg do not require a braking system to be fitted.

If the max weight exceeds 750kg, but is less than 3500kg, brakes must be fitted which can be applied whilst the vehicle is moving (over-run brakes will satisfy this requirement).

Where the maximum permitted weight of the trailer exceeds 3500kg, but is less than 14230kg, brakes must be fitted which can be applied progressively from the drivers seat (this can be achieved by the spool valve/quadrant lever actuated systems that were commonplace 20 years ago, but are rarely found on newer agricultural tractors and trailers).

A trailer with a max weight greater than 14230kg, up to the maximum permitted 18290kg, must have a braking system fitted which works directly from the tractors service braking system (which is what is most commonly found nowadays on most agricultural tractors and trailers).

NB: these weights refer to the max gross weight of the trailer only (they do not include the weight of the tractor). 

In addition, the maximum gross train weight (tractor + trailer) must not exceed 24390kg; the ratio of the weight of the trailer to the weight of the tractor must not exceed 4:1; and unless both tractor and trailer have seperate full suspension on each axle and dual line braking, the maximum permitted speed is 20 miles per hour  ;)