Harvest 2010

Smithy140

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in rape Monday/Tuesday, a good crop too. It wouldn't feed very well so the stone guard came off the header which improved things. It was a case of cutting high enough not to beat the pods but low enough to get the stalks for baling. Wednesday I moved the TX34 back to the farmers farm to await the wheat and then went raking for hay infront of the two Bandits again. Yesterday was second wheat for another farmer, this time with the TF42. Not bad going really, cutting a little early as the straw gets sold. The TF being rotary will beat straw hard if it's brittle and the money straw is making will more than pay for the drying. It was only 17% anyway so not a big problem. Likewise the fashion with rape seems to be to cut at a higher moisture content to avoid losses which more than covers drying costs.

Travelling to Cosford on the train, saw a Claas Mega in some barley at about 11am, a few minutes later was nicely surprised to see a very new looking MF 7282 - I was intending to try and get a photo on the way back from the train, but firstly there had been a heavy shower which had curtailed the action, and the train was so full I was crammed into the vestibule so couldn't have got a decent picture anyway...that said, it was good to see it.

saw a lovley red deutz combine on the way back today, small one couldnt have been more than 12 ft cut, not sure on the model, but a unusal sight this way, also a dommy 86 i think, and a new nh cx of some sort one side of the hill cutting away and the other side had a claas jag with direct cut header doing the second cut,

Last two for now. Shame the weather has not been conducive for decent photos - too overcast and dull. That's less of an issue at night through!  ;)

Where's hoping for some decent sunny, dry days - with rich golden sunsets and lots of combines!  8)

post-1701-132639404051_thumb.jpg

post-1701-1326394041_thumb.jpg

great photos, i would have got some but we have had rain for 2 weeks now and so farmers not going

only two have risked it and both gave up

one took the heads off a feild ofbarleey and the other did 3 lengths of a feild and gave up

im going to poplars ad so they might have a go at ther rape but not to sure aboutthat

all the crops are ready its just the ground is now qiute damp and the straw is sodden

where was that to then paul?? dont see to many lexions round this way ,know of a few, several being the monteray hill ones but usally miss them working

its for the contracting firm cropmech sean,which is based at merton about 16 miles from the other side of okehampton,where the pictures were taken was northlew about 2 miles away from okehampton,he runs to lexions,one with a 22 foot header and one with a 25 foot header,long day yesterday 7.30 start so that means me leaving at 6.45 to get there and i was home at about ten