Mobile 'Phones. What do you use, rate and suggest?

I had made my mind up to get a Nokia N8. Until Vodafone told me Nokia dont make them anymore!!! After a bit of research and long conversation with the sales people I have gone for a Galaxy s2. Anyone on here got any views on them, good bad or indifferent?? Usualy i would have gone in to the shop and had a play but my trusted, loyal Nokia is not long for this world so time was of the essence!!! Have i done the right thing.......? :-\

I had made my mind up to get a Nokia N8. Until Vodafone told me Nokia dont make them anymore!!! After a bit of research and long conversation with the sales people I have gone for a Galaxy s2. Anyone on here got any views on them, good bad or indifferent?? Usualy i would have gone in to the shop and had a play but my trusted, loyal Nokia is not long for this world so time was of the essence!!! Have i done the right thing.......? :-\

love my s2. no regrets here, my friends with iPhone 4/s like it also! it's fast, (better cpu & ram than my first computer!) the screen is brilliant, it's a bit of a riot shield in size but it weighs about as much as an empty crisp packet so you don't notice it. I've also dropped it onto gravel while juggling it and my house keys without breaking the screen. The only disadvantage is that it does so much you will end up being on it more than you intended, and perhaps more than others would like... the present mrs goon hates it!

• 1 year later...

This topic seems to have been sleeping well, perhaps it's time we woke it up again now that technology has advanced even further with the advent of the new iPhone 4 system but it seems that despite the hype and advertising about new Apple, HTC and other brands it seems that the Galaxy range is still about the most popular. I recently acquired a Samsung Galaxy S111 GT i9300 and after a short time have decided that it's the best phone I've had to date, it's basically a well loaded pocket computer that is also a phone.

well after 4 years i phone, i am now very close to going to a sony experia z, had a good play with one, and been hunting down the reviews,and all by far and away blow the i phone out of the water , the i phone whilst very good is very quickly getting overtaken by other  brands now, in looks, and abillity they have not really moved forward that much compaired to others in my view, plus on most contracts they seem to want 50 odd quid up front for the phone??

If you're looking at a Samsung Tris go for the S111 GT i9300, it will be considerably dearer than the Mini but you'll get a better spec phone, it has an 8MPX camera on it for one thing, and if you're on a monthly contract then when it's up and you're due an upgrade it might come as a free phone, sometimes you can get a better phone than what's offered as a free upgrade by paying a little one off extra payment. One thing to be aware of though is that the newer phones take a micro SIM card, smaller than older models so you can't swap it over, I found this out when I bought my GT i9300, I had to get a new SIM I bought my phone off eBay as it was the right price with the bundle of extras that came with it, 2 rear covers, flip case, 2 chargers and a desk charger, 2 spare batteries and all the original packaging and paperwork plus still has 2 years manufacturers warrantee on it plus it's unlocked which although not expensive to have done does make a phone a bit more desirable. I was toying with the idea of going to Pay as you go but for the amount I use a mobile phone and the monthly tariff plus usage I pay the latter works out a lot cheaper. I'm beginning to waffle now.

No Tris, he was a private seller, he had the phone as an insurance replacement just after last Christmas and bought the case, extra charger and the 2 extra batteries and wall charger for them as he was going on a long haul holiday which failed to materialise and unknown to him his wife had already bought him a new phone so he thought that it would be more prudent to keep the phone his wife bought him and sell the Samsung.

You want to do some sums Tris to do a comparison between contract and pay as you go. In my case my contract costs me just below £200 a year, that's £12 and a few pence per month tariff, calls/usage including VAT, which is reclaimed, plus a free phone upgrade at the end of each 24 month contract. This is saving me between £160 to £200 or thereabouts on pay as you go as the total of the two, contract and payg would be what you'd have to pay for a new phone should you want to change it. Another thing I have found with the Samsung Galaxy phone in looking around is that parts to repair and enhance them are pretty cheap, take a look on eBay and you'll see what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

So after a trouble free 2 years with the S2 well, the battery charging socket electrocuted me and the battery exploded, (fixed under warranty)
got my galaxy S4 coming to my parents tomorrow, I'll pick it up when i go down for the weekend, get my numbers transferred to the micro sim and off we go! really excited for it!
As for costs I'm selling them my s2 back to cancel out the upfront cost, then £33 a month for 24 months getting me 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of data. Unsure about whether my free upgrade to unlimited everything I got in February will continue though. Just bought a Case-Mate extreme case for it, and a Zagg invisible HD screen protector. I've had the previous versions of both of those on the S2 for the past 2 years and it's in pretty good shape.  

IV the Nokia lumia .i find it ok easy to use ,they have been slated in reviews ,and mine has had a few faults ,especially losing signal and not regaining it but I can get on ftf fast enough and does all I need ,so I'll be sticking with it for just a wee bit longer

Will look forward to hearing all about the S4, Alex. I was almost set on the S3 when I am able to go for one but I think the S4 may well be the one now. Just got to find an operator who will provide a service which is not as unreliable, slow, patchy and downright useless as o2!!

I've now had my Galaxy S111 GT i9300 just long enough now to evaluate it a bit more and it's a terrific phone, some say that it's better in certain areas that the new Galaxy 4 and now they're saying that the Galaxy 5 will be here by the end of May, we don't get chance to catch up! Don't bother with taking out insurance for your phone from the shop/provider, it's expensive, it should be automatically on your house insurance which should include any item kept in the house but used outside, if it's worth over £500 you may need to 'specify' it on your policy but if your policy is 'new for old' you'll be ok.

I've found a very useful app, called 'Dodo QR Code and barcode reader' very good for scanning these on products, surprising how much fake stuff you come across, if nothing comes up on your scan, it's a 'dubious' product.

Interesting about the scanning App, Tim. I think my bank account has mobile 'phone insurance on it too, to be honest. I damaged my HTC the other week to the point I have to keep the screen illuminated and unlocked all the time. If I don't, I have to remove the battery and reinsert it to get the home screen back. It is because the on/off button is stuck in (on) which is also the screen unlock button and typically it is stuck in the lock screen position! Nowadays my 'phone is flat by 11am after a night on charge so it is near as damn it on charge via mains on cigarette lighter almost all the time!

Claim for it on your insurance Tris, get a phone repairer to give you a written statement to say that it's an 'uneconomical repair' to present with your claim form together with the price of an up to date 'equivalent' replacement from the phone shop and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

I have a year old Galaxy Mini and it has taken a fir bit of abuse and its still going no cracks or anything.I was just wondering do the othe galaxys take the abuse aswell lads? Im in no rush to change because Ive no problems with this just wondering.

There is a very good website called 'Revoo' that people post up their reviews of products and tell everyone what they think of stuff like phones, TV's, fridges, you think of it there's reviews of it.

http://www.reevoo.com/shopping

I have a year old Galaxy Mini and it has taken a fir bit of abuse and its still going no cracks or anything.I was just wondering do the othe galaxys take the abuse aswell lads? Im in no rush to change because Ive no problems with this just wondering.

The Xcover 2 does by the sound of it, dust proof, water proof to a depth of 1m for 30mins and longer battery life too I think. The three main reasons I am interested in one to be honest.

• Like 1

That site Tris is very genuine, as far as the persons that post a review is, the site admin won't accept or add anyone's review of a product unless they sign up an 'account' and submit with their review proof that they have actually bought that product, a scan of the receipt.

• Like 1