Mobile 'Phones. What do you use, rate and suggest?

Well, the mobile 'phone has all but died and needs replacing. I have had a Nokia N86 'till now which has an 8mp camera and was the main reason for taking it on. Sadly, I broke the fascia in the first month but it didn't affect it. More recently however the following problems have made it hard work - memory full even though nothing is saved on the 'phone itself  ??? , charging symbol constantly shows even when not charging, camera has stopped working, earpiece has packed up so have to use it on loudspeaker for all calls, name recognition also defunkt. . .. 

So, you can see why a new one would be nice!!

Now, my criteria and main concerns are the following -

Camera

Battery life

Web usage

I have always had or gone back to Nokias but I'll gladly consider all brands although touch screens are maybe not my first wish. ..  :-\

Well Trissy.... I can't recommend the iPhone enough... I think they are simply superb mate... camera is good... web browsing is superb... battery life is..... well..... ok to good... don't get me wrong.. it's not bad... version 4.? that I downloaded recently has made it even better - you can get 'apps' for just about everything you can think of and more.  I also recently treated myself to an iPad... same again.. BRILLIANT.

Apple really have nailed the mobile phone in my humble opinion.

Funny enough I just changed mine there yesterday  ;D

For the last 8 months I've had a Sony Ericsson Satio, Bought it for the camera 12.1MP All the pic you've seen on here where from it.. Not a bad phone but started mucking about and did its own wee things!  ::)

I recieved my new Blackberry Torch yesterday and so far its superb! A mix of Touch screen or qwerty keypad, Which ever you want.  ;)  It has so much on it its unreal! So many options etc to have it the way you want it.. Also you have the app store to personalise it even more! Super fast with its new operating system!

When thinking about changing it was either the Blackberry or the New Nokia N8.. Never give the Iphone a single thought  ;D

I only use a mobile occsaionaly, basically carry it with me when I'm out and about just in case and that's about it. I don't use it for anything else other than as a telephone, a Nokia 6303 'Classic'. Nokia phones have always been my choise as they are easy to use, rugged and have adequate features should you wish to use them.

I don't think that the make of phone is that important in choosing one, it's the package that comes with it and what type of tarrif you are paying. If you sign up for a contract, which now is normally for a period of 18 months, the phone is free and you can upgrade at the end of the term every time with another free phone and after your first upgrade you keep your old phone, get a free pay as you go sim card and let someone else use it that you contact the most or use yourself as a backup phone. Choose a package/tarrif that suits your requirements, there's loads of different ones and if you're like me and use it infrequently the monthly tarrif over the period of the contract is far far less than it would be to buy a new phone every 18 months, I have 200 minutes a month free calls to any network on mine and I never use them all. Avoid these sliding and flip phones, they don't last very long. Oh, and don't bother with their insurance 'policy', it's covered on your house insurance anyway so why pay twice, just remember, contact your provider at the end of the first month you have a new phone to cancel the initial free first months insurance otherwise it's automatically carried on.

I am tempted, Mark. I spoke to some friends last night before I got annihilated and the iPhone did well but they didn't rate the camera. .

So far from web looking on the net the Nokia N8 does well, although it is a touch screen so I may have to broaden my criteria if the iPhone and the N8 are already good possibilities for an upgrade.

I only use a mobile occsaionaly, basically carry it with me when I'm out and about just in case and that's about it. I don't use it for anything else other than as a telephone, a Nokia 6303 'Classic'. Nokia phones have always been my choise as they are easy to use, rugged and have adequate features should you wish to use them.

I don't think that the make of phone is that important in choosing one, it's the package that comes with it and what type of tarrif you are paying. If you sign up for a contract, which now is normally for a period of 18 months, the phone is free and you can upgrade at the end of the term every time with another free phone and after your first upgrade you keep your old phone, get a free pay as you go sim card and let someone else use it that you contact the most or use yourself as a backup phone. Choose a package/tarrif that suits your requirements, there's loads of different ones and if you're like me and use it infrequently the monthly tarrif over the period of the contract is far far less than it would be to buy a new phone every 18 months, I have 200 minutes a month free calls to any network on mine and I never use them all. Avoid these sliding and flip phones, they don't last very long. Oh, and don't bother with their insurance 'policy', it's covered on your house insurance anyway so why pay twice, just remember, contact your provider at the end of the first month you have a new phone to cancel the initial free first months insurance otherwise it's automatically carried on.

I think the brand, as with anything in life is very important. Not for the name but for price, value, performance, reliability. ..  everything is subject to the brand and all are not the same. The tarrif I am on is fine but I am only one year into a two year term so I am not entitled to the free upgrade I have had every year since first joining o2.

Funny enough I just changed mine there yesterday  ;D

For the last 8 months I've had a Sony Ericsson Satio, Bought it for the camera 12.1MP All the picture you've seen on here where from it.. Not a bad phone but started mucking about and did its own wee things!  ::)

I recieved my new Blackberry Torch yesterday and so far its superb! A mix of Touch screen or qwerty keypad, Which ever you want.  ;)  It has so much on it its unreal! So many options etc to have it the way you want it.. Also you have the app store to personalise it even more! Super fast with its new operating system!

When thinking about changing it was either the Blackberry or the New Nokia N8.. Never give the Iphone a single thought  ;D

What swung the Blackberry over the N8 for you Blake?

well Tris. I reckon the camera is very good... MORE than adequate anyway mate.  My lad calls me an 'apple *****' whatever one of those is  :-[:D :D :D

Well, considering your knowledge on cameras and how to take a photo, I'll take that comment as very helpful buddy  :):-*

Blackberry torch or the new bold 9780 i think the numbers are,

5mp camera torch has the keys and touch screen bold just the keys, thats all there is to decide,

battery life immense, i can pull 3 days outta the bold torch is on trial right now ha ha!

here is a link to sway you to the blackberry

Tris I work with several very big Geeks, one of the is at uni doing ethical Hacking so knows a thing or 2 about computers and phone technology.

He has just got the iphone 4 and was won over by it straight away. The camera web usage but mostly the apps. My sisters boyfriend has one and even my 7 and 4 year old can use it so not exactly a hard phone to get used too. I am due an upgrade next year and it is currently looking like an i Phone 4 or HTC desire HD

My wife has the HTC desire and again is a great phone very high quality screen and camera the new model has 720 p HD video playback. Blackberry again good phones again horses for courses worth going in the shop and seeing what you like and what feels right. don't know anyone with the new Nokia so can't comment. Hope that helps.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/htc-desire-hd/

I just buy a basic nokia for txts and phone calls, has stainless steel casing for good protection too and a 5meg camera. had an iphone and various smart fones, hated them all equally, find that they freeze alot and never use the features on them as unless you live in a town you cant get good enough reception, out of them all the iphone was the best to use, an absolute pleasure but again very unreliable, although it was a 3g or earlier hoping the 4 is much better and if you do live in a town you usually have a computer which are much better, have a good camera and have a good wireless so dont see the point of haveing to carry them around in a fashionable brick

ive always had Nokia, im not one for the latest must have!!!!! as long as it does the job, in my case calls and web browsing. Im with O2 at present mainly due to service and the fact ive fallen out with all the other companies.

Have you looked at the JCB phone Tris?? Fairly rugged in all the tests and very waterproof.

Thanks for the info coming through from you all. Going to the o2 shop tomorrow to see what I can sort out. The iPhone may be swaying it from what some of you are saying. I do like the sound of the Blackberry's too to be honest but I need some more info on these I think.

JCB 'phone has not been considered at all Simon, no. Is it a smart 'phone or just your bog standard calls and text? It is ruggedness I need to be honest  :-\

Rob I'll click that link now and see what it comes up with, thanks for the info again  :)

i know a few people at work with the blackberrys mate, they seem ok, and have their own free messaging system to, as long as your mates all have one, the only thing i have heard from people is the keypads a bit small??? i know the one i tried out at the o2 shop certainly was, the i phone is great for that, even a fat pinkied bloke like me can type easily on it, except for the occasional miss hap when replying where i get a bit mixed up that is ;D ;D

I thought exactly the same about the blackberrys buttons and when I used a girls in Uni one day couldn't drive it at all!

BUT!

I do now have one  :D  The keypad isn't hard to use when you get use to it, I find it a real advantage for texting etc.. Also with the Blackberry Torch don't forget its Touch Screen aswell so you have the choice between the QWERTY buttons or the touch screen version  ;)

The one thing I don't like the look of is the keypad, Sean. It does look rather small. I think even my feet will be to big when I am jumping up and down on it to write a text!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That HTC gets a good rating, Rob. . .  ??? Never heard of them but it looks like a decent 'phone. Have to see if 02 do them.

I thought exactly the same about the blackberrys buttons and when I used a girls in Uni one day couldn't drive it at all!

BUT!

I do now have one  :D  The keypad isn't hard to use when you get use to it, I find it a real advantage for texting etc.. Also with the Blackberry Torch don't forget its Touch Screen aswell so you have the choice between the QWERTY buttons or the touch screen version  ;)

Ah right, I see. That may be a bit better.

I tried playing with a girls raspberries at school once. . ...  :-[:-[ :-[:of:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: