Massey Ferguson 595 MARK 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks ciaran and mr softie for your kind replies...to be honest this may be the last topic i put up on forum as topics just dont get the same responses anymore,plenty look at the mid build pics to find out info but the feedback is appalling.its hardly worth taking the time to picture them now so more time will be spent model building and less on the camera....

Brian it may help if you let us know when you have posted the last image in your thread please, some of us like to wait until then to ensure we don't break up the images and hence keep the thread tidier. Also... you only posted it last night... I think you need to be a little more patient before venting your frustration in all honesty.

That aside...

Cracking build... I really enjoyed the images of the work you've done to the model.. I can see you've put plenty of effort into it and the results speak for themselves. The 595 was never a good machine... MKI or MKII.. it's engine problems were usually born from the head, which suffered from problems frequently if not regularly torqued.. it was also not good at high torque, low rev situations where it would suffer bottom end damage.. now the backend was a different matter... simply not up to the job all round... it originated from the 1080 which had it's roots in American Prairie farming.. mostly 'Western' machines designed for towing machines across the surface, with little demand for lift capacity.. or even hydraulic flow.  The best 595 they ever made was a 1250.... which was, in actual fact.... two put together (plus a few extra twiddly bits of course)

Does anyone make a larger tyre on those PAVT's ??? All the 595's I have seen over here have run on larger wheels than the 590 from memory.

Anyway.. in summary.... a cracking build that I'd love to have in my cabinet....... if you ever run out of room that is  :P

ive taken the same route as jan mf by using th each 590 rear pavt rims and adding a set of 1200 tyres,this should be the largest pavt available in 1/32 scale...as the pictures show yes it is a big job,and fiddly but worth it.......i find that on the forum i enjoy see,ing more conversions coming along and find that theres so much new stuff coming out that members tend to be full time occupied just trying to view them all,its certainly hit the conversion stuff hard on the forum ive noticed,almost dwarfing it.when i joined the forum some 2.5 years back conversions were the big thing and i dont blame the forum,its the amount of stuff coming out thats interesting people more now but i foresee that this will change again,as the new models cant go on the way they are with very little money circulating,i think model collectors will now be thinking more along the lines of "personalising" their collections maybe with stuff they farmed with or remember...even looking at other conversion subjects i notice that interest has slumped somewhat,im continuing hard this year with MF models,and very recently have been granted unlimited access to the largest MF brochure collection in the UK if not the world,so the process of getting them emailed to me has begun.....

hopefully model makers wont lose heart in the whole thing like ive done recently,we have to be very careful to plan and make something that uh wont follow and try to stay unique...the endless hours we spend making models only to be overtaken at 100mph by major manufacturers...when i was growing up it was nearly all britains and most are now collectable and indeed valuable,but the stuff we are witnessing coming out at minute will be lucky if it makes it money back...uh are producing models that fast that there not even taking time to measure or take note of the real machines,like the 590 and its back wheels,7810 ford on white wheels,6475 with no left side door...it leaves that when i buy a new tractor i have to buy another and set a day or so aside to leave it correct,its disheartening to have to fork out that money and time to get the job right...but yet i have had endless model makers(good 1s) telling me their sick of it and are backed into a corner...i guess thats why id like to see conversion and scratchbuilds ruling the forums to see talent and determination shining through and not allowing uh to take over completely..limited tractors in different colours and special editions,its all nonsense to sell numbers....the uk and ireland are now setting standards in custom building that uh can only dream about,with every detail correct and a faultless model at the end....anyway back to the model building now that ive all my complaining done,i guess we all need to do a bit of it from time to time....

and very recently have been granted unlimited access to the largest MF brochure collection in the UK if not the world,so the process of getting them emailed to me has begun.....

I didn't know John Farnworth had a scanner now Brian  :of :of :of .. do give him my regards and if you ever visit him... try his cakes - my daughter thinks they are marvellous  :-*;)

A usual a top job Brian!

I know what you mean whit the tekst you wrote about the conversions getting a verry big dip!

I also know/feel what you say that the passion for making youre own models whit so much coming out!

It is getting harder and harder to find a type of tractor to build that is not coming out in a few months or a year or so!

If i look what i have build recently i must be ashamed of my self that is so minimal and that i think why all the efford to put in a model and then when it is finished you have the model and a large factory like UH comes out whit the same type! :'(

Dont know what the future wil be bringin but i hope i stil can build some models and convert them!

Regards Johny (hang in there Brian youre not the only one ;) )

thanks ciaran and mr softie for your kind replies...to be honest this may be the last topic i put up on forum as topics just dont get the same responses anymore,plenty look at the mid build pictures to find out info but the feedback is appalling.its hardly worth taking the time to picture them now so more time will be spent model building and less on the camera....

that would be a massive loss to the forum if you did that bor,i regularly look and leave comments,your builds are outstanding,please have a rethink,that mf 595 is one of the best builds ever

ive taken the same route as jan mf by using th each 590 rear pavt rims and adding a set of 1200 tyres,this should be the largest pavt available in 1/32 scale...as the pictures show yes it is a big job,and fiddly but worth it.......i find that on the forum i enjoy see,ing more conversions coming along and find that theres so much new stuff coming out that members tend to be full time occupied just trying to view them all,its certainly hit the conversion stuff hard on the forum ive noticed,almost dwarfing it.when i joined the forum some 2.5 years back conversions were the big thing and i dont blame the forum,its the amount of stuff coming out thats interesting people more now but i foresee that this will change again,as the new models cant go on the way they are with very little money circulating,i think model collectors will now be thinking more along the lines of "personalising" their collections maybe with stuff they farmed with or remember...even looking at other conversion subjects i notice that interest has slumped somewhat,im continuing hard this year with MF models,and very recently have been granted unlimited access to the largest MF brochure collection in the UK if not the world,so the process of getting them emailed to me has begun.....

would that be john farnworths collection brian?

same here,i think the chassis needs shortning,the wheelbase is shorter on the 2wd,and the bonnet altered,but do'able

easily do able, its sat up on my board to be finish as i type paul, havnt done the 2 tone cab yet, but the door opens/shuts, ect already, fitted with a pma front axel and a uh 3 point rear end, not the normal siku style hitch

brian, i doubt anyone wants you to stop posting, and just because no one replys right away doesnt mean they aint bothered, i have stopped conversions because of uh, but it doesnt stop me doing the scratch builds, i post pictures of them as i go and i recive posts from the usual few and sometime none  at all, it certainly wouldnt stop me posting the pictures, or doing them in the first place, hell i have 5 more combines drawn out, along with another 5 brouchures for more after that , its the pleasure you get from making them that counts, not what any one else says or doesnt say in this case

thanks lads...no strangely it not j,farnworth..i enquired through a well known irish mf man called sam neill some years back as he has an extensive brochure collection himself,he pointed me a man here in NI but he pointed me on to this man that has mf memorabilia as far back as 1957..there are a number of publications from before this on the ferguson but the mf brochure,poster,parts books and manuals are more than i ever bargained for...there was a barn literally coming down with shelf racking that went on and on,an ex mf fitter and a very modest and private gentleman who worked in a famous mf dealership here in belfast up to they closed,but he continued to gather info from good contacts right up to present almost...he tells me that no one in the family is interested in any of it and has considered putting it all through an auction as 1lot...he tells me that only a local museum and a handful of mf enthuiasts knows it exists and assures me that evry year is complete up to the year 2005...luckily everything is in order but i never looked upon brochure collecting to be so extensive,it sure does take up a lot of room.ive seen it and spotted loads of brochures id love to buy but it was out of the question but no problem in supplying info thankfully...ive mf items in mind to build and it was difficult for me obtaining info prior to 1975 and indeed the mid to late 80,s.....made my brochure collection look like it would fit in a schoolbag...

thanks lads...no strangely it not j,farnworth..i enquired through a well known irish mf man called sam neill as he has an extensive brochure collection himself,he pointed me a man here in NI that has mf memorabilia as far back as 1957..there are a number of publications from before this on the ferguson but the mf brochure,poster,parts books and manuals are more than i ever bargained for...there was a barn literally coming down with shelf racking that went on and on,an ex mf fitter and a very modest and private gentleman who worked in a famous mf dealership here in belfast up to they closed,but he continued to gather info from good contacts right up to present almost...he tells me that no one in the family is interested in any of it and has considered putting it all through an auction as 1lot...he tells me that only a local museum and a handful of mf enthuiasts knows it exists and assures me that evry year is complete up to the year 2005...luckily everything is in order but i never looked upon brochure collecting to be so extensive,it sure does take up a lot of room.ive seen it and spotted loads of brochures id love to buy but it was out of the question but no problem in supplying info thankfully...ive mf items in mind to build and it was difficult for me obtaining info prior to 1975 and indeed the mid to late 80,s.....made my brochure collection look like it would fit in a schoolbag...

what future mf builds do you have in mind brian?if you dont mind me asking

easily do able, its sat up on my board to be finish as i type paul, havnt done the 2 tone cab yet, but the door opens/shuts, ect already, fitted with a pma front axel and a uh 3 point rear end, not the normal siku style hitch

brian, i doubt anyone wants you to stop posting, and just because no one replys right away doesnt mean they aint bothered, i have stopped conversions because of uh, but it doesnt stop me doing the scratch builds, i post pictures of them as i go and i recive posts from the usual few and sometime none  at all, it certainly wouldnt stop me posting the pictures, or doing them in the first place, hell i have 5 more combines drawn out, along with another 5 brouchures for more after that , its the pleasure you get from making them that counts, not what any one else says or doesnt say in this case

I agree whit you Sean ;)

Some times you post something and it looks great and no response some times people are on the forum looking and looking and for some reason you look in the list and you see so much that there always skips an interesting topic tru and that is a shame!

I look always in the latest conversion topic but now i know that there is more than that topic area!

Other conversions is something i not much look in because i only build tractors and i don´t have any experience whit that so i think it is not in place for me to respond :-[

Keep them conversions and scratchbuild model coming guy´s!

Phew... your 'international man of mystery' Mr X sounds like an interesting find Brian  :of  .. you lucky little fella you... does he stop at 1957 then  :of  .. does his collection not include the MHF years from 53 to 58 as well  :of  ... I could quiz him for hours, it's such a pity he wants to remain anonumous.. My modest collection runs from 1958 to 1985 really.. but I could never boast a complete year in any of those years.. not even close to that either.. I could only ever dream of such a collection...  :P  it just goes to show doesn't it... just when you think you are good at something.. someone always comes along and knocks spots off you  :-[ :'(  .. it sounds like we've all been humbled

B O R

Please don't think that as some people don't reply they don't appreciate your work, I had the privilege or seeing some of your builds at Penrith last year when the "other" Brian (Mr Softie) brought some of his models to put on display, they are outstanding :of :of

My problem is that I only have a slow internet connection so anything with a lot of photographs takes ages to load, if someone then replies with a "nice build" or whatever it generates a "new post" icon, so I have to have another look at the topic..........it then takes ages to load the page again.

Nice build by the way  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

B O R

Your MF literature collector sounds like an interesting man. I wonder if he collects overseas sales brochures, as per myself, Lord Ferguson and a man called John Sellers from Bury, near Manchester, who can knock spots off all of us when it comes to the depth of his MF brochure collection. I'd be amazed if anyone had more MF brochures than John.

He again is a private man, not really that well known, even in brochure collecting circles. But he's been at it a long time and has been a very serious collector, more or less since I got to know him in 1991/1992. 

R Day

Hi, i am really impressed with your 595 model , i feel that the one you have made is as near to a 595 mk11 that as ever been made perhaps you could make me one.  Rory day of classic tractor mag has forwarded the material on your work

Well done looking forward to your reply.

Trevor chippendale

ill certainly look into whats in the collection..didnt want to dive in on my 1st visit..it wouldnt be the overseas stuff so much id be needing.surprises always turn up here and there,i was sent a man who knew a man who ended up with this....Trevor thank you,i never knew you were on the forum,i had taken note some time ago of your 595 and ive never seen a late model so well restored,it certainly pays to keep old classic tractor mags,ive them all right from issue 1 and although im not a subscriber(not organised enough for that) i never miss an episode..best way is to have them stacked up on floor then you can delve through them easier to find what your after,i found by having them in a cupboard it often seems too much hassle taking them all out......i like to respect peoples privacy and recently during a visit to a different farm to measure a machine i discovered a complete barn full to the brim of vintage and classic machinery,this was an alladins cave,again the owner was private and also very security concious and i know when i speak to people that often they will do you a favour by allowing access to machinery or info but id never abuse that by making them more public than they want to be...there is another mf enthuiast here in ireland who j farnworth actually goes to for information from time to time when writing a book so iguess there always is someone who surprises us out there

Hello Brian,

What an excellent  595 !!

My apology for the delayed reaction in this very interesting topic, to which I was really looking forward, after your email.

I expected that you would go further then I an a few points.

On the pictures and in the brochures I have in my possession I did not notice that the cabin is supposed to be set further back . (I do not have a real one in my neighbourhood)

I suppose you know that I also was working on a 2 wheel drive , but I  switched to the 4 wheel drive.

After reading this topic, I will surely get back to the 2 wheel drive shortly, because this is in fact the better one of the 2.

I also noticed that you have moved the battery box further forward as it should be.

I am very curios after your 4 wheel drive version of you. I am sure there will be one soon.

UH is coming out with al lot of new items but you always are more proud of your own conversions

Best regards Jan

my 2nd 500 series model didnt involve so much work..i resprayed the top half of cab silver which meant stripping out the glass and mirrors and handrail,resprayed the stoneleigh grey and added new rear tyres and wheels,also added the distinctive opico turbo exhaust so the sticker denoting opico turbo will be added in time.....

post-1779-132639694121_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639694129_thumb.jpg