New Grainstore........20 years late...!!!

unkelfergus

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right,......one at a time gentlemen,.....

Its gonna be bloody hooooooge compared to the rest of our "diddly" buildings and its going to be on floor drying Tris,...spoken to other people that have had underfloor vents and they wouldnt have them again.They fill up with muck in no time and take blooming ages to clean out.We have always been on floor with metal ducts so thats the way we are staying.

Sean's closest,...locally built J H Ford,Rushlake Green,....Nigel's cousin Jonathan.....another J H Ford trailer to the collection.... ;)

Right Mark,...we need you down here urgently to assist with the concrete before you can cut the ribbon..... :-*:-* :-*

I have seen the underfloor drying method on concrete flooring which was good. The channels were formed as the floor was laid so it was all in one. Metal grills sat on top so for cleaning you just lifted all the grills up and vacuumed the channels out. The farm I worked on a farm which had the wooden type which was retro fitted to an older building. It was also good, all you did was lift out a small panel at the end of every air channel, speed up the fan and blow all the crap out. Easy as. I also worked on a farm which did it on floor with cages and hessian ... what a laborious job that was. Especially as a year or two before the old lister fan blew up and blew all it's oil down the tunnels!!  :laugh: :laugh: They always got beaten up with the loader too.

At 6.45 this morning.......

6o376g.jpg

at 8.00.........

ws7lgg.jpg

then things came to a bit of a halt,.......someone back at the yard had welded the truss endplate on UPSIDE-DOWN  >:(

needless to say the air was a bit blue and 8 more holes had to be drilled...

2qx400y.jpg

back on track,...12.15 pm.......

sfi0ix.jpg

I used to see your new trailer a fair bit when I lived in sussex ,southover contractors had one of those and someone over at Berwick had one too,always towed by a jd

Even got a pic of one for when I make a model one

post-1103-132639763006_thumb.jpg

Satisfying part of the build, this. Not as much as finishing of course but a quick part of the build. My mate does this for a local gang and boy can he get it up! :P Hope you get some rain down there to make sure a good harvest makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks for the replies,..Jamie,....this particular one was owned by tom thomas who runs with southover.

Eric,....I will keep the pictures coming but none today.Had a workshop day today replacing one of the main bearings in the pottinger chopper and extracting a sheared off bolt on one of the driveshafts. Been out this evening to borrow another 20 concrete shuttering lengths  and offloaded them in the building and while standing there inside, it didnt quite seem so big.... :-\

Ol,...milking 85 at the moment..... ;)

Tris,....good for him...... ::) ::) ,......we need rain within the next week or things will suffer badly.

very impressive!!!.....i do a have a soft spot for the construction side!!!

i always thought some small crane would be used, never occuried to me you could use a loadall type for lifting the main roof trusses??.....makes dioramas easier now!!  :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

After getting three quarters of the first cut done last week its all hands on deck for today.

The roof nets went up saturday morning....

21mubr7.jpg

No prizes for guessing what we're up to today......

2r5f7sm.jpg

The first load of many....

2n8u39l.jpg

Number four (last for today)...

2u8ze5f.jpg

The start.......,well,..leftovers of the first load after pouring the footings for the fan shed...

zj9oi1.jpg

The first of six strips completed...

nx8e82.jpg

Out with the power float......

2ngcy1s.jpg

Thats all for today,...back out with the power float to get that mirror finish.. ;)