JC & MW Suckleys

jordantaylor

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well good news i supose

i will be working agin for JC & MW Suckleys this summer after being unemployed for 3 months. they have offered me a similar job to the one i had last year.

again i will be wild oat picking over the 2600 acres of wheat and barley, cleaning their grainstores and plenty of yard work. i am going to request that this year i go onto cultivations instead of the carting side of the business. but plenty of pics will start to appear on here from july onwards

Good luck Jordan with the job hope everything goes well for you

thanks, i think this summer will go well, ive just got too put the same ammount of effort in last summer. unfortunatly 4 of my friends were turned down for this job as they were not willing to go and do certain jobs such as wild oat picking, strimming and store cleaning. they just wanted machinery jobs. i think i got the job as they already know i will do the hard manual jobs and i never really complain. so as long i get on with the job i should be just fine

i forget why did you leave last time?

well even though i believe this to be a sarcastic comment i will have the decency to reply to you question.

i left last year due to being involved in an accident that was proven by the police and the insurance companies that it was not my fault. I also took that oppertunity to leave and find a job for after the harvest that fitted in around my college course of which started again just a week and a half after the accident.

now as much as i know you guys want to rip into me about this again as i know you all love doing i feel that you might just be grown up for once and be quite happy for me that i have actually got a job.

becouse unfortunatly this is the only harvest job i have been offered and i am leaving college in a matter of days and i dont want to be another government statistic on the dol. im sure you can all understand where i am coming from.

i dont expect a reply to this as you all think i am an arogant teenager that think he knows everything and just wants to drive tractors and hasnt worked his way up from the broom to the pressure washer ect.... but at least im trying and doing something about the work front as i know many others are not.

just too be clear i am not saying everybody is spitefull on here, i can name many a member that is a pleasure to talk to and dosnt want to just get involved in arguments and winge about the young generation of farmers.

other than that thanks for the reply

Hey, Jordan, don't tar us all with the same brush! Suckleys are prepared to have you working for them again and that says it all. No business is going to re-employ someone they do not consider to be worthwhile. I would say that is a feather in your cap. Finger crossed that it turns into something more than just a harvest job.

well even though i believe this to be a sarcastic comment i will have the decency to reply to you question.

i left last year due to being involved in an accident that was proven by the police and the insurance companies that it was not my fault. I also took that oppertunity to leave and find a job for after the harvest that fitted in around my college course of which started again just a week and a half after the accident.

now as much as i know you guys want to rip into me about this again as i know you all love doing i feel that you might just be grown up for once and be quite happy for me that i have actually got a job.

becouse unfortunatly this is the only harvest job i have been offered and i am leaving college in a matter of days and i dont want to be another government statistic on the dol. im sure you can all understand where i am coming from.

i dont expect a reply to this as you all think i am an arogant teenager that think he knows everything and just wants to drive tractors and hasnt worked his way up from the broom to the pressure washer ect.... but at least im trying and doing something about the work front as i know many others are not.

just too be clear i am not saying everybody is spitefull on here, i can name many a member that is a pleasure to talk to and dosnt want to just get involved in arguments and winge about the young generation of farmers.

other than that thanks for the reply

no no you've got it wrong i've re read it and it may have been a bit short on the question it was meant as a question not to cause offense :-[ sorry!

no no you've got it wrong i've re read it and it may have been a bit short on the question it was meant as a question not to cause offense :-[ sorry!

i am sorry, its just there was a topic opened on here after the accident aimed mostly at me and many of the members were just being very spiteful and ripping into me and other young farmers. i am sad to say its changed my view on older farm workers and im afraid to say the actions of those makes the majority look like they have no respect for the younger generation and just treat us like toddlers with no excuse for it what so ever.

i understand not everybody is out to pick at us young farmers but for the minority that do it is not nice.

im sure you can understand though

i am extremely sorry

Hey, Jordan, don't tar us all with the same brush! Suckleys are prepared to have you working for them again and that says it all. No business is going to re-employ someone they do not consider to be worthwhile. I would say that is a feather in your cap. Finger crossed that it turns into something more than just a harvest job.

thanks, i dont mean to say everybody is like it, just the few that think they are better than everybody else, and for us younger generation it does knock the confidence every now and again( i know this from talking to other younger forum member and they have similar views).

i do hope it turns into more than a harvest job. I really dont mind what work i get this from them and i have even said i will work all potato harvest on the graders if i need to and thats at least 1 1/2 months work there.

If you see Jackie, you can tell her you know Sue from Accu-Man. I do not think I have met her but have been talking to her (and the others) for many years.

dont worry i will do, we do plenty of travelling around the sites so im sure im bound too see her as well as many of the others

Well done Jordan for getting a job buddy... I hope it all works out for you and I'm looking forward to hearing that you've been offered a full-time position after harvest. It's a pity some of of the other youngsters don't have you attitude towards working I must say.. fair play to you. Also.. It takes people like you to educate us older farts who think we know it all.. yes you still have a lot to learn... BUT... at 45 mate so do I !!! .. you are NEVER too old to learn... from anyone... now come and help my programme my bloody sky box please. .and show me how to reverse a trailer properly.. that'll do for starters :)

Very best wishes to you

well done on your job jordan, look forward to the updates. you are right when you say you were lucky to get a job. there has been a definate lack of harvest jobs in the farmers weekly this year, this is due, in part i think, to a lot of ex farm workers that left for the building and plant hire work over the years that are now finding themselves a bit short of work, and are returning to the tractor seat of some of the people they used to work for. as for young farmers, i was one once. they are great. i have never wrecked so much equipment, drank so much alchohol and had as much sex as when i was a young farmer. ;)

Jordan everybody has to start somewhere mate. I feel like i learn everyday when i go home to help at the harvest. if young guys like yourself dont carry on in farming then it will be harder and harder to find people to carry on. also if the employer thought you werent worth hiring they wouldnt hire you.

Thanks guys, im really hoping this works well for me. i nearly got there last year and this year i will complete a full harvest & cultivations inc spud work. i met up with a load of the drivers from suckleys at the cereals event and they are looking foward to having a young lad about the place again. i think they enjoyed last year teaching me certain skills and showing me how they work. its good for them as they can pass there own skills on to new workers

i will keep you all updated as to how i get on. i always keep a harvest diary so i will be able to relay to you guys what i get up to as i do it

Hi Jordan ,been reading through some of you comments n you mentioned wild oat picking. When i was 16 many moons ago i was on a y.t.s placement on a farm at leuchars ,fife. The farmer ran 3 units of around 300 acres each, mostly arable.All the wild oats were hand picked by hand or rouged as they called it. Small fertilizer bags were filled n then burnt .This wasnt too bad a job until a wet day came along , then it sucked :- . Good luck with the new job n have some fun on the way ;D ;D ;D

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR WORK AFTER SUMMER?

well im hoping to be offered a more permanent placement working there. I can work around the spud stores as ive done store managment before and wouldnt mind undergoing some more training to allow me to put it on my CV. i can also do grading work when the stores are being emptied (done plenty of this at JRO Griffiths & Sons). i can also take on maintainance jobs such as fencing, hedge laying, strimming, weed killing, store cleaning ect... this would keep me occupied through the winter up to the spud plant which is easily a months full time work then it would be yard work, irrigaation, harvest preps ect...

if this is not possible i am going to find another livestock job to keep me occupied from when i finish about november through the winter

Hi Jordan ,been reading through some of you comments n you mentioned wild oat picking. When i was 16 many moons ago i was on a y.t.s placement on a farm at leuchars ,fife. The farmer ran 3 units of around 300 acres each, mostly arable.All the wild oats were hand picked by hand or rouged as they called it. Small fertilizer bags were filled n then burnt .This wasnt too bad a job until a wet day came along , then it sucked :- . Good luck with the new job n have some fun on the way ;D ;D ;D

ay yeah, wild oat picking is an awfull job but someone has got to do it and id rather keep myself busy than doing nothing. i think 2600 acres is enough to keep me busy. from what ive seen of their fields so far there are a few patches coming up so ive got a few days work ahead. yeah the wet days are terrible, full waterproofs and somehow i still seem to get soaked through.

ill keep everybody updated though as to how i get on and how busy they keep me