How Limited is Limited??

When it comes to Ltd Edition models what number do you consider to be truly Limited?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to Ltd Edition models what number do you consider to be truly Limited?

• Up to 2000
    • Less than 50

Hi there

I have a few Limited Edition models as I'm sure we all do but what do you consider to be really Limited in terms of numbers and in turn highly valuable? For example the latest Massey Ferguson from Schuco is Limited to 2000 and commands a high price as a result but is this a really Limited number? Also do you even bother with Ltd Edition models or is this all you collect? Personally in such a varied market I don't consider more than 1000 models to be really Limited.

I do not purposely seek out Limited Editions but if a version of something I have used is available in limited numbers then it does make the model even more special. With the hobby ever growing, I have voted for up to 1000 being a sensible cap for a Limited Edition. Anything above that I think is flogging a sale and taking the mick out of collectors.

do buy limited editions, but got to be different and really stick out from the normals, if its a mf, then its a buy no matter what it is, as for limits, i preffer lower ,say 500 for a makers run, 1000 tops, but ultimate limited which i have some  of is 50 /100 ,makes it special and rare then

I have gone for 1000 but if you want a really limited model I have got a Same Jaguar made by PDC and there are only 10 in the world.

(someone will now come along and say they have got a one off......  :-\ :-\ :-\ )

I suppose we should also consider how many toy/model collectors are there in each of the sometimes overlapping sectors.

Consider how many people attend a reasonably big toy fair.

Then consider how many collecting sectors are represented: trains, cars, farm toys, trucks, lead/plastic/composition soldiers/farm/etc. and 'other toys' (sci-fi, board games, soft toys/dolls, dolls houses, etc)

Then consider how many of these collectors only collect old toys/models in whichever of the above categories they collect - they're not buying modern limited editions.

So, if a reasonably big toy fair attracts most of the toy/model collectors in a 50+ mile radius, and there are how many buyers? 200? 400? How many times can we replicate this imaginary toy fair to get an idea of total UK collector numbers? 

How many of these are even collectors of modern farm toys at all?

To my mind, a reasonable number for a limited edition, be it a tractor, train engine, or whatever, to have a reasonable compromise between supplying a fair chunk of those who will really want one, and leave enough wanting one to keep the value up, is going to be somewhere between 100 and 500.

But then, what do I know? I only collect 'old stuff'. 

Almost all model cars have the legend "1 of nnnn" on the mount where nnnn can be anything from 2000 to 5000 (many are odd numbers such as 2351!)  Those are not limited editions (although some people think they are) but simply an idea of how many were produced in a run.

A truly limited edition should be  less than 500 in my opinion and if they are limited the master moulds should be destroyed or damaged to prevent further editions being produced.  A certificate should also accompany the model with its production number. I have a few limited editions in my farm collection and  in other collections started by my husband but I do not collect limited editions - I just happen to have them.

But BEWARE.  My husband had a couple of very nice, certified, limited edition models.  He paid a premium for those models and was absolutely furious three years later when the market was flooded with them as the manufacturer decided to put them on general release. Every toyfair he attended had several traders selling them for a few pounds.  His certified limited editions were now worth around 80% LESS than he paid.  ("Furious" is probably not strong enough!)

2000 can still be a limiting amount if a model is sold world wide. If it's done for a small local show then 500 would already be a lot. So it depends. Sometimes you think a model is limited and find lots for sale and sometimes you think a model is widely available and it becomes very rare.

A very emotive and contraversial subject. To me, a limited edition should be no more than 1000 pieces produced for the World market, should carry a number on the model and a corresponding number on the box and paperwork to authenticate this. There are numerous manufacturers that release 'limited' models of a colour variant although the base model is in fact a general release one, this is wrong and is no more than a marketing trick. As for limited models that cost the collector a 3 figure price or more, we have to consider the cost to the manufacturer/maker/producer of doing all the research, building and casting the master and everything else that's involved, I can tell you, it aint cheap!, take for example the G&M Originals, the tyres alone cost them £80 a model, so take this into consideration before having a deep intake of breath when you see the price tag. I would myself rather have one 3 figure priced limited model rather than spending the same amount on 5 of the same model that has just been painted a different colour and called limited.

wikipedia

The terms special edition, limited edition and variants such as deluxe edition, collector's edition and others, are used as a marketing incentive for various kinds of products, originally published products related to the arts, such as books, prints or recorded music and films, but now including cars, fine wine and other products. A limited edition is restricted in the number of copies produced, although in fact the number may be very low or very high. A special edition implies there is extra material of some kind included. The term is frequently used on DVD film releases, often when the so-called special edition is actually the only version released

MilkingMilking, or double-dipping,[1][2] refers to the practice of releasing multiple editions of the same product (usually a CD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc), simultaneously or at different times, with the purpose of enticing consumers to buy more than one edition. This can be done with, for example, a special edition, a director's cut, an ultimate edition, and a collector's edition, sometimes with different features or supplementary material.The consumer may be persuaded to purchase multiple editions, with the belief that the additional features or content will be worth paying for a product that is largely equivalent to one already owned.

Good thread, I was actually going to post this question last week but it totally slipped my mind.

I feel that a limited edition should be in the low hundreds or less. To call a run of 2000 pieces limited is nonsence.

Whats a normal production number of a 1/32 tractor non limited version?

A normal production number would be as many as they can bang out as long as they keep selling well or until replaced by a newer model or version. Anything that sells poorly becomes limited by default and becomes classed as 'rare'.

May I cast back to the days when the Deutz TTV was in that horrible light blue and white checked pattern.. Now here’s one for you they did that in a limited run or 1500 I think, but I know of several people who brought them because they were cheaper than the standard model because A they looked rubbish and B people couldn’t sell them for that reason.. Now i also know that there are a lot less in circulation as a result of this cheapness because people used them as donors... so is it now limited?

Wasn't there another that was covered with sunflowers, or was that a different make? Supposed to of represented the tractor that ran on fuel made from sunflower seed oil. Example of which is somewhere in the pile of my collection. Don't see many of them now. I like the quirky ones, the cow print one also springs to mind.

There were two that were done for the "sunflower oil" fuel, one was a Deutz and the other was a Same although they shared the same casting, they do command quite good money nowadays and I am still after the Same version if anyone has got one lying around  ::) ::)

I also think it depends on the model in question... I had 1500 MF35x Industrials made back in 2005/06 and they sold out within a year... I think they now make a little over their original retail price.. but not a lot on most occasions. I'd say the sweet spot is 1000 pieces or less... with 500 making it a truly desirable limited edition to me.

In answer to a previous question.. a first run of a standard model is around 8-10,000 pieces I do believe.. for UH anyway

Up to 500 pieces is truely limited to me, but it all depends on the model and make of it. A bronze Valtra T191 by FTF limited to 100 pieces is really really really limited to me, could have sold mine several times for good money, but I am sure I will not find another one again. I have several limited models in my collection, some off 500 pieces, some off 1000 pieces, it just depends on more than numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Limited merely means that production of a specific toy was limited to a specific number, no more. Limited can be any number. The desirablility, or value of that toy depends on how many want it and how many items are available for purchase, or a basic application of the law of supply and demand.

Limited merely means that production of a specific toy was limited to a specific number, no more. Limited can be any number. The desirablility, or value of that toy depends on how many want it and how many items are available for purchase, or a basic application of the law of supply and demand.

Very true indeed Brad.. and a direct answer to the question to boot !

I think what we are trying to answer, somewhat indirectly, is what do we see the market as (in terms of production) for any 'limited edition' model... I guess it will vary from piece to piece and the desirability is surely the key factor to this... so it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string really.

Very true indeed Brad.. and a direct answer to the question to boot !

I think what we are trying to answer, somewhat indirectly, is what do we see the market as (in terms of production) for any 'limited edition' model... I guess it will vary from piece to piece and the desirability is surely the key factor to this... so it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string really.

Absolutely except a REAL limited edition is certified as x of xxx pieces and even then non-certified models (usually from the bigger manufacturers) often appear much later and very cheap to boot.

I don't really see how it is possible to put a specifiic figure on limited runs - it will be governed by who the manufacturer is, the OEM of the model, and therefore how many could be expected to be produced in a normal non-limited run.

All issues are limited, whether it be by setting a specific production run to start with, or simlpy producing until they stop selling - once the item is out of production it has reached a 'limit'

To be a truly 'limited edition', the numbers would need to be not only substantially less than a normal production run, but also significantly less than the number of people who might want one at the time/price of release (as some issues have been in recent years), and I think we need to differentiate between a 'Limited Edition' and a 'Special Edition'; which is available in more substantial numbers.