Hlt Miniatures

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to let all you FTFers know, because of the imminent arrival of our new addition, I'm scaling down the number of tractors and machinery we stock (we just don't have the space and are going to concentrate on our little diorama pieces). So that means up to 20% off the RRP on many products for this weekend :)

Oh dear! The new Britains chickens are indeed a bit rubbish, and way over size. I had seen a photo of them before, but only now when I've seen them along with a Britains farm worker did i realise how big & bad they are.

The 4 old Herald chickens, plus the Orpingtons (the breed depicted, trust me on this), plastic equivalents to the old lead Britains '***** & hens', were way better. The other old plastic chooks worthy of note were the old Barrett & Sons fowls, fairly good representations of the Croad Langshan breed. 

(For those who may not know, or have forgotten, I'm a poultry show judge & the author of several books about old chicken breeds & showing.)

Well, the Britains poultry have arrived:

42812Poultry_zpsa62f4701.jpg

They are a lot larger than previous models (see Herald version on right and man for comparison), but just about fit in our poultry ark:

42812Poultrycomparison_zps12b59c99.jpg

FB062PoultryArkKitBritainsHens_zps0d9e4c

Think we need to make some of our own too.

Chickens On Steriods?

Oh dear! The new Britains chickens are indeed a bit rubbish, and way over size. I had seen a photo of them before, but only now when I've seen them along with a Britains farm worker did i realise how big & bad they are.

The 4 old Herald chickens, plus the Orpingtons (the breed depicted, trust me on this), plastic equivalents to the old lead Britains '***** & hens', were way better. The other old plastic chooks worthy of note were the old Barrett & Sons fowls, fairly good representations of the Croad Langshan breed. 

(For those who may not know, or have forgotten, I'm a poultry show judge & the author of several books about old chicken breeds & showing.)

I knew you'd be disappointed, David - I know I was. But, I would say these are marketed for appeal to children, really and with no competition I guess we'll have to use them on our dios. They don't look a lot like any of he modern breeds either. Ross Poultry are big (the current commercial meat breed) but they're not waist-high! I'll consult you if I may, when it comes to making our own.

I knew you'd be disappointed, David - I know I was. But, I would say these are marketed for appeal to children, really and with no competition I guess we'll have to use them on our dios. They don't look a lot like any of he modern breeds either. Ross Poultry are big (the current commercial meat breed) but they're not waist-high! I'll consult you if I may, when it comes to making our own.

I was hoping you'd ask me for pictures & advice about your chicken (+ ducks, geese, turkeys & guinea fowl?) models. As you know, I have a huge collection of poultry books, prints, etc. Regarding the chickens, I suggest two sets of models (each of a cock, hen standing/walking, hen feeding/pecking, possibly also hen sitting), one of light breed type to represent Anconas, Andalusians, Leghorns & Minorcas, painted to represent as many colour varieties as you think viable, and a similar set of rounded, dumpy, heavy breed type, probably best as Wyandottes, a popular breed which exists in about 20 colour varieties, although the markings on many of them are too detailed to be viable at 1/32 scale.

Just a few small updates:

Poultry Equipment

The poultry equipment is due for release within the next week/10 days.

Man Emptying Sack

The next figure is 'man emptying sack'. The sack he'll be emptying can carry any of our current designs, so you can have him filling a fertilizer spreader, an animal feed trough with feed, or whatever takes your fancy. He'll be part of set, with an empty sack (with the mandatory 'stone weight' so it doesn't blow away!), so you can look like he's been really busy!

Walls

We also have our own range of walls coming out soon, kindly designed for us by Hazel Hambden :)

Plastruct

I'm in the process of talking to the importers of Plastruct so that we can become a distributor. This will mean that our current dealer network will be able to stock it alongside our other products. Great news for farm modellers as I'm always being told how difficult it is to obtain what they need locally :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can stock them, of course (I buy regularly from Juweela). The reason I haven't done so before is that they don't correspond with the corrugated card we sell (whereas the clear sheets from Minia_cn, do - although the Company is painful to deal with!), so you would have to use all Juweela individual sheets on your building (grey and clear). But, if this appeals to you guys I'll certainly get some in-stock :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived