Help Wanted With New Van Purchase

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Clive... I can only speak from my expreience of runninbg a fleet of vans which usually goes between 9 and 15 ... currently 11...

LDV Maxus... I've currently got 4 that I run.. they have been the worse vehicles I have ever bought.. not helped by the dwindling parts supply and hugely over priced parts when you can get them - NEVER AGAIN... I could go on for hours with thge list of common faults to there vehicles.

Sprinters... agree.. most driver loves them.... but then again they don't have to fix them - The post asked for advice from an owners perspective I believe.. not that of an employee/driver.... latest models are a lot more unreliable than the previous models... I've bought and sold vans since the days of the 307D's and the 508' even... this week.... a 100,000 miler sprinter needed a new UJ on the propshaft... they are peened in at the factory and you have to buy the complete unit - shocker ! .. £650 just to replace a broken UJ... and at 100,000 miles that shouldn't even happen really. It's sister van snapped a halfshaft the previouys week at 115,000 miles. ANother had engine management issues last week too... 95,000 miler from memory.

VW vans hold their secondhand value... why do you think .. a bit of a no-brainer really ;) ..

No need to go off in a strop, the OP asked for advice and experiences; you gave yours, and I gave mine. Just because my experiences and those of people I know don't square with your experiences, doesn't make my post any less valid. Perhaps your vans suffer from the way they are driven ? I don't know ? All I know is the people I know who run a Maxus are reasonably happy with them.

VW vans hold their value for the same reason as their cars - a historical reputation for quality and reliability which sadly doesn't really measure up to current reality that VW are really not what they used to be. I think 'No Brainer' is quite an apt term for those who fall for the misconception ;)

I would still probably pick the Transit over any of the Germans though.

Edited by ploughmaster

well ive driven varius vans over my time working for agricultural dealerships, the mitsubishi L300 were a great van (no longer made) we run citron dipatch were i work now, there ok but made to plod not speed ha ha!

best all round and best vans ive ever drove are transits, ofter drive a Y reg medium wheel high roof one, goes really well and like a car to drive, good look with buying

well ive driven varius vans over my time working for agricultural dealerships, the mitsubishi L300 were a great van (no longer made) we run citron dipatch were i work now, there ok but made to plod not speed ha ha!

best all round and best vans ive ever drove are transits, ofter drive a Y reg medium wheel high roof one, goes really well and like a car to drive, good look with buying

Our Ducato's go very well mine is 120bhp and pulls like a train. We have two 61 reg 160bhp and they are unbelivable on the road but only do 22mpg! >:( We have a new Fiat Scudo on order so have to see what its like as I was never a fan of the old ones.

No need to go off in a strop, the OP asked for advice and experiences; you gave yours, and I gave mine. Just because my experiences and those of people I know don't square with your experiences, doesn't make my post any less valid. Perhaps your vans suffer from the way they are driven ? I don't know ? All I know is the people I know who run a Maxus are reasonably happy with them.

VW vans hold their value for the same reason as their cars - a historical reputation for quality and reliability which sadly doesn't really measure up to current reality that VW are really not what they used to be. I think 'No Brainer' is quite an apt term for those who fall for the misconception ;)

I would still probably pick the Transit over any of the Germans though.

No strop here from me Clive... and no amount of poking and prodding from you will make me do so me old fruit. I quite agree about us both giving our opinions... you were offering your from what your friend/friends had told you.. I was offering mine as a fleet owner/operator of such vehicles for the last 17 or 18 years.. the 'OP' (that's an abbreviation of Original Poster for those who don't know by the way) as you put it (Mandy I prefer to refer to the lady as) will, I am sure make her own mind up as to who's is more valid. ;)

I also gave some realtime examples based on the experiences of my fleet within the last two weeks.. and I am sure that there is an element of truth in your suggestion that my vehicles arn't driven sympathetically by my staff... that said, I expect that's the same story for most fleet owned vehicles. We all know there are good and bad drivers.. I have a one driver policy for my vehicles where it's practical to implement and this does install an element of pride of ownership I will say.. for the right person.

As for my no-brainer.. we I'll spell it out a little more for those who have difficulty understanding .. resale value is based upon popularity... populatiry is born from a number of facets such as driving pleasure/desirability, brand loyalty, economy, RELIABILITY, cost/availability of parts .. to this end a van which ticks some or all of these boxes for a prospective new owner is going to be more popular than one that doesn't.. and hence will achieve a higher resale value. Check out the price of an LDV Maxus against a VW transporter of the same age and milage.. and compare them as a percentage of their original cost price and you'll have your example to demonstrate my point. Market trends are driven by facts.. not by assumptions ;)

;D ;D .. not from me Barry... that's the kind of lighthearted comment I've always enjoyed on here O0 ..

I really must get a haircut today as well

What, on a Monday? You must be stupid, never have it done on a Monday, I don't have it done on a Monday, so neither should you.....I am right of coarse!

In my opinion.....no offence! :P

Great topic. I think it is something I'll be considering in the next few months for the business as well. It will replace the knackered blue line trailer that my Dad has been using for the past 10 years. I've driven a few transporters and I was very impressed. The one transit I drove was ok, but seemed to be quite loose round the corners in comparison to the VW.

Now Barry.... no offence taken... but I must just pull you up on the haricut thing I'm afraid... with respect... and I mean that sincerely ... I've been having my hair cut now for 45 years... give or take (I really don't remember the really early years of my life... or some parts of the late teens.. due, in part, to recreational drugs, drink, teething and nappy rash) .. anyway... I have sometimes had my haircut on a Monday.. in equal measures to a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... HOWEVER... throughout my adult life I have tried to avoid Saturday's as they are very difficult to park in Cambridge, not to mention the added hassle of trying to get an appointment... Sunday's are simply a no-go here... most, if not all of the hairdressers I frequent regularly are deeply religious and point blank refuse to work on a Sunday.

Just about to go into a meeting now, so I may well come back to this later though... you have been warned >:(

The comments on here have been invaluable. I asked for opinions and experiences and that's exactly what I received. My thanks to everyone for their input, as I can go off to the dealer now with a clearer idea of what I'm looking for.

My own experiences have been that the transit is basic, but a good honest workhorse; the Vito is a lovely drive, but a total rust bucket and expensive to repair; the Vivara was also nice to drive (we hired one for last April's Spalding), but they don't have the best reputation in the world; the VW are well-finished and nice to drive (I drove one for Asda, as well as a Sprinter), but expensive.

And Marky I hadn't noticed there was much hair to cut, darling... ;):-*

ps there's a very good chance it will be white ;)

;D ;D ;D Oi ..... >:( too funny... :P

Mandy... glad to be of assistance and I'm glad the dreaded LDV Maxus didn't even get a mention in your summing up as well... although I'm now holding more parts for them in my workshop than the main dealers so I could always build you one from scratch if you really do want to punish yourself or Fraser.

As for my no-brainer.. we I'll spell it out a little more for those who have difficulty understanding .. resale value is based upon popularity... populatiry is born from a number of facets such as driving pleasure/desirability, brand loyalty, economy, RELIABILITY, cost/availability of parts .. to this end a van which ticks some or all of these boxes for a prospective new owner is going to be more popular than one that doesn't.. and hence will achieve a higher resale value. Check out the price of an LDV Maxus against a VW transporter of the same age and milage.. and compare them as a percentage of their original cost price and you'll have your example to demonstrate my point. Market trends are driven by facts.. not by assumptions ;)

I, agree, market value is determined by perceptions, but it is also a fact that those perceptions are often distorted, and not based on facts at all.

I could introduce you to several people who could tell horror stories about their VW vans similar to your perceptions of the Maxus. and I don't appreciate the snide remarks either.

Edited by ploughmaster
childish comments removed

I, agree, market value is determined by perceptions, but it is also a fact that those perceptions are often distorted, and not based on facts at all.

I'd agree with that but for the fact that that would not be sustainable for such an item as a vehicle in my opinion. Subject matter such as commercial vehicles are long terms earners of reputation and for this reasoon there has to be a large element of 'Darwinian selection' when it comes to such a market...

Furthermore, I agree wholeheartedly about there being horror stories with, I'd wager, all makes of vehicles... I have a mate who recently bought a Bentley.. it too went wrong and continues to do so.. no mechanical item is exepmt from failure.... especially those that are road going - too many variables... but what we are talking about here is a rule of thumb I guess... generalisation.. and as much as you can and I can quote each other specifics.. the fact remains that VW vans have a good reputation.. LDV's in general simply don't ..

Hi Lady Ferguson well I'm in the car sales myself what ever you go to buy make sure you get it H.P.I checked I can do it for you if you want me to do for you some sites and places will charge but I can do it for free for a FTF member ha ha! just PM me the reg and I'll do for you.

Whilst HPI is a useful tool it is not infallible and unfortunately it is a failing that I see all too often. The details that you are checking is the registration number and, whilst the result will give you a chassis number for that vehicle, people don't tend to check that it matches. Registration plates can be, and often are, changed. You also need to check the stamped in chassis number, not the one on the sticker or the one in the window, the one that is actually stamped into the metal of the chassis.

One further anomaly is that not every Finance company shares their data with Hpi and just because it is shown as clear of finance doesn't mean that there isn't any. Hpi do have a warranty so that if you discover that there is finance or that something else is wrong then they will reimburse you........IF you are the person who has done the check and not had it done through a third party.

I recently took a Vauxhall Vivaro van off a man because it was a ringer, his comment said it all, "I should have known not to buy it off two Irishmen on a pub car park" :- :- He had paid £4000 cash for it so he lost the money and the van.

Transit no question, bit's grow on trees for them (well nearly) the tdci engine is very reliable if looked after, having driven a few different models when I worked for a courier/multi drop company I'd go for a higher power rear wheel drive version with a 6 speed gearbox (115ps or above but preferably 135 or 140ps), but that would be a bigger model than you may require, all depends on budget and size required there are literally 100's of different spec transits available