I have a large (A3 size) and superb photo of the Eurofighter with the Bugatti Veyron taken at the beginning of the race that took place several years ago. NOT an official photo but one taken by a pilot on the base before the order went out banning photography.

When the Concorde was flying years ago ,I could hear it every evening at around 5.15 breaking the sound barrier off the coast of Kinsale ,Co Cork on route to JFK New york from Heathrow. What a yoke. For an aircraft of that size to cruise at Mach 2 for nearly 3 hours solid. Even the Typhoon, F16 or Mirage 2000 can just about hit Mach 2 & they are little nibble fighter jets.

Used to be a regular occourance round Suffolk when I was younger , the old lightenings , then tornados and of course the yankie f15. Eagles , All on cold war scramble duties , and as mentioned concord was a regular noise even as far down as Plymouth , don't see the typhons this way that often now but still see the tornados and hawks a lot, don't see the yanks at all now , guess they are all busy

We get the typhoons come over us here in east yorks a bit , the RAF F16s used to do dummy runs down river towards powerstations but not seen the newer typhoons dothat but you can hear them as they come over

We get the typhoons come over us here in east yorks a bit , the RAF F16s used to do dummy runs down river towards powerstations but not seen the newer typhoons dothat but you can hear them as they come over

I dont think the RAF have F-16s. Unless your mistaking them with the Hawk trainers. The Beligans & the Dutch have F-16s alright. ;):)

Did anyone on here hear it yesterday then? It was all over Facebook yesterday. A year or two back I had a tacho break at the end of Fairford runway the Tuesday after the show, watched numerous planes leave but it was the Typhoon and the Tornado that ripped the sky to pieces, the noise was incredible. I miss Boscombe Down Airshow, we always went to that one.

I thought I heard thunder and it could have been the sonic boom.

Before Concorde went into service they used to perform test flights over the sea at supersonic The soundwave, however, reached parts of Cornwall at times. I was out riding on the cliffs at Tintagel with a load of holiday makers enjoying some horse-riding. We had just closed the gate from the cliff gallop and were out in a dead-end lane as the boom struck. The stable owner and myself were, fortunately, blocking the open end of the lane and prevented 12 panicked horses with novice riders from bolting and even we had a job! I hate to think what would have happened if we had been out on the cliffs!

A swift, and rather terse, telephone call resulted in the tests being scheduled for a specific time each day and announcements made on the radio so we were able to ensure we were not out during the flights.

When we used to have a silage tower up we used to get the exact same thing, Ive seen tornado's go over at what cant have been more than 200 ft. It was the tallest thing around us apart from pylons though. Especially as its flat around the howden area

Anyone read the article? I think under the picture captioned "Riddle ... 'sock-shaped UFO'" they may have spelt sock wrong :P

Reminds me of the time I worried a bloke on an old motorbike when tipping muck. And its not to do with the misspelling of sock :laugh: The back door of the trailer banged when it came down, and the bloke thought his bike was about to blow up. Then he saw what it was and looked a bit relieved

So... Nobody heard it then? ::) ::)

yes we heard it in this part of essex, and yes it was loud. it wasnt until the local news the next night that confirmed it was a sonic boom from a fighter. i live in a 450 year old thatched cottage and the lights did flicker a bit, but at the time we were having a bit of a hail storm and i thought we might of heard very,very loud thunder.