Wiking to replace Siku in 1:32 market ?

Fendt Fahrer

Looking at some of the recent Wiking models quality and pictures of new ones coming I can see a little decline in detail and accuracy of the Wiking models. By example look at the Wiking JD 6R engine detail. Clearly very similar to Siku. Although the FH and overall detail is defenitly better than a Siku.

This combined with the fact Wiking is seemingly releasing more models in 1:32 than ever before while Siku is reducing their numbers ever so slightly all the time and have now that 1:50 line makes me think that Siku is giving up on 1:32.

That Ropa Maus was supposed to be made by Siku. I wonder how come it ended up being a Wiking model? maybe its development cost made it impossibkle to sell as a Siku, as it would have been way to expensive a Siku model. Looking at the detail of the maus one has to say it does not really live up to Wiking standards..... no hydraulic lines or hoses , elevators made from simple rubber bands etc. Never the less I need one of those, I have been waiting for a long time for a maus. Will have to do some detail work on it :)

Edited by Anfield Vario

interesting post markus. wiking,as we all know, produce a more collectors detailed model aimed at the older market [14+ i think] which are more for cabbinet and dio people and carefull children to maybe play with. siku are, although very good in detail, more for the younger generation i think and sit very well with the britains line-up of models. i hope siku still carry on making 1/32 as it surely is a massive market for them. i agree that the new 6r deere does lack a little detail under the hood, infact one picture i saw had the engine painted black. i suspect that the model will be around the £50 and upwards mark though. for that money, the lack of colour detail here and there is something they could have put right easily, who knows, i may have seen a pre-production prototype picture and the new ones will be better.

Wiking appear to sit in the Schuco, Weise camp above UH and below the likes of Marge models in terms of quality, detail and value for money. I would agree Vario that recent Wiking models are lacking that extra polish. Personally I have never thought they were a patch on Weise for that super fine detail but a recent John Deere I bought is still a great model. The question is if Wiking is to be the new Siku then will prices fall accordingly? I doubt it personally.

you cant blame them in current times for saving a bit of cash, why make a completly new chassis mould or engine block mould when they already make them for standard siku models?? makes no sence, especially when its as mentioned a engine block, which for 95% of the time will be hidden with the bonnet in the closed postition .

• Like 1

you cant blame them in current times for saving a bit of cash, why make a completly new chassis mould or engine block mould when they already make them for standard siku models?? makes no sence, especially when its as mentioned a engine block, which for 95% of the time will be hidden with the bonnet in the closed postition .

Que joke about JD's breaking down and needing the bonnet open all the time :P

A shrewd observation Marcus,but maybe the other way round,the Wiking model range has definitely lost a fair bit of the detail they used to have,take the recently announced Fliegl auger trailer

Flieglaugertrailer.jpg

The rivets and hinges on that look more Siku than Wiknig,and the much anticipated ( by some :-[ ) Samson SG28 slurry tanker was very Siku like,and as you say the up comeing Euro Maus has no hydraulic lines,although that might be a wee bit pedantic,as that will be a very expensive model to produce,so a few cut backs would have been necessary to return a profit,

Regards

Joe.

• Like 1

Siku will keep the 1/32 models alive & running for along time yet . Those 1/32 scale farm models have always been their best sellers in their whole range & they make more money from the young little carpet farmer than they do from collecters of Wiking models.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wiking John Deere  6210R is clearly less detailed than previous model, however nothing that I havent managed to correct as can be seen below...........but maybe its the shape of things to come in tougher times. 

The left pic shows standard spec with unpainted wheels, oversized tyres IMO and to wide front wheel track.

Right pic shows all tyres scaled down appropriately, wheels spray painted JD yellow, front wheels swapped for 6930s to reduce track width.

Removed daft licence plate from exhaust pipe!

Havent as yet figured out how best to improve cheap front light detail, but will think of something im sure.

post-743-0-41223800-1356188936_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-64972300-1356189055_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluegreen

having received the Maus, maybe I was a bit harsh. I think think the Maus is actually pretty good, defenitly far better than a Siku model. I wish the Tiger was also a Wiking ;). However if Wiking are really going to take over the 1;32 segment from Siku then that would be good,( looking at the recent Wiking models.)

It will be interesting to see how many new 1;32 models Siku will be releasing this year. 

Markus, Fantastic topic and I think your points are all very valid.

Having said that I cannot believe the demand for the new JD

So maybe they have sold this model on reputation and the past quality rather than the current model

I do believe future Wiking models will be of their usual high standards

• Like 1

In my gut I have a feeling that Siku will slowly leave the 1;32 market. I have a feeling that todays Siku are to expensive for toys and not good enough for collectors. I believe that maybe Siku will concentrate on 1:50 , as those will be more affordable for toys.

Since Wiking have a good name for collectors toys I think the parent company will market the 1;32 models under that banner.

Time will tell if my hunch was right ;)

Wiking John Deere  6210R is clearly less detailed than previous model, however nothing that I havent managed to correct as can be seen below...........but maybe its the shape of things to come in tougher times. 

The left pic shows standard spec with unpainted wheels, oversized tyres IMO and to wide front wheel track.

Right pic shows all tyres scaled down appropriately, wheels spray painted JD yellow, front wheels swapped for 6930s to reduce track width.

Removed daft licence plate from exhaust pipe!

Havent as yet figured out how best to improve cheap front light detail, but will think of something im sure.

bluegreen,is that wikings john deere 6930 front wheels and tyres you have put on

I can see siku going more 50th scale as there are very very few farm models in 50th. And at this point in time the detail of a 32nd isn't demanded. There's more 32 farm model company's than you can poke a stick at at the moment. Cant see siku dropping 32 totally so does make Sennce to keep there name in the winking brand. Re the current wiking quality maybe they are testing the waters as to what they can drop there detail standards to ???

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw a post from Atte on the German model forum. I think my hunch is becoming reality.

Atte's post:

This 4 models (and the Bressel und Lade set) is all 1:32 models for 2013...

Wiking is gonna 'replace' Siku, Wiking will bring us ±13 'models' for 2013 icon_rolleyes.gif

Geändert von Atte H (Heute um 08:50 Uhr)

Edited by Anfield Vario

No, Siku brings us this year 5 new items and thats all! And i think a lot of limtid models will follow this year... And see the Siku 2013 topic for all the pictures of the models for this year. 

And yes, Wiking will bring us at least 12 'models' in 1:32, but with the Agritechnica, i think this will be even more! 

Edited by Atte H

The Steyer is last quarter together with the John Deere Skidder, while the Gator and Sprayer are third quarter. Loader set is in the first quarter and that is it. Unless Siku will surprise everyone at Agritechnica but I really believe that 1;32 is no longer a Siku priority or maybe even a Siku subject after this year.