Whats Your Latest General Buy 2013

It's amazing what is on offer at reasonable prices at some of these charity shops David and the good thing is it is money that is going to a charity and not ending up in a landfill tip. I only discovered the "Magpie" warehouse in Inverurie following the death of my uncle Sandy last November. I managed to offload a lot of furniture and unused new clothes, curtains and kitchen appliances and utensils and have since ended up visiting and buying one large display unit and two corner display units...one without a base unit but that was even better since it fitted in the corner in my lounge about my TV. 

It's amazing what is on offer at reasonable prices at some of these charity shops David and the good thing is it is money that is going to a charity and not ending up in a landfill tip. I only discovered the "Magpie" warehouse in Inverurie following the death of my uncle Sandy last November. I managed to offload a lot of furniture and unused new clothes, curtains and kitchen appliances and utensils and have since ended up visiting and buying one large display unit and two corner display units...one without a base unit but that was even better since it fitted in the corner in my lounge about my TV. 

The majority of my cabinets have come from charity shops Bill. Out of the ten I now have only one was bought brand new. Since moving i've always tried to call in at the at the Britsih Heart Foundation store on a weekly basis as it's part of a large shopping centre just down the road from where I live. Given how busy it is their stock is constantly changing. My most recent cabinet arrived this afternoon. It's another that is very similar to the brand new Argos example I bought earlier in the year....it cost me less than a third of what I paid for the new one. Just needs a good clean and a slight alteration to the bottom shelf and it will be ready for filling. :)   

In exchange for 5 hours overtime, I've acquired a hardly used Stihl FS100 brushcutter. Pretty good deal for me.

My 17 year old Husqvarna 232 is getting a bit tired now, so can go into semi retirement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a karcher 4m telescopic lance for my power washer, as I need to get the facia boards and gutters  cleaned off,fronts easy with a ladder, but the back with the pergola etc is hard to get more than 1/2 of it properly, so with luck this will do the job a treat from the ground

new glass bowel/panel for the washing machine door  last night, after the old one went bang big time mid spin , luckly it was right at the end so no water escaped as such, but loads of bits of glass everywhere in the washing and the utility,  ordered last night at 8 ,next day delivery ,here at 1 pm, no idea what broke it, nothing loose in the wash ,only possible would be a pair of jeans in there?? maybe the buttons hit it wrong??, but hell did it go bang when it went

You should have taken that hammer out of your jeans pocket Sean before you loaded the machine! ;)  It is strange how some things will fail in rather strange and dramatic ways, you were lucky that the door was still available so you must have a fairly modern machine. I had to replace mine back in early Spring, it filled the utility room with dense white smoke and rather large orange sparks and the smell of burning plastic was enough to make you gag, when I took it out I saw that each of the cable connectors to the motor block were all black and melted, that was why it sounded 'pop pop pop pop' when it went. I went straight down to Sparkworld and bought a new LG machine, better spec and almost 1/2 the price of the equivalent Bosch, took out an extra 5 year warrantee on it for not a lot of money. Very quiet as these new machines now have the motor mounted on the back of the drum so there's no belt and the motor is guaranteed for 10 years. lights up like a fruit machine and sings to you like 'close encounters' when you switch it on, even weighs the load.

its 5 years odd old now we recon tim, got the part direct from Electrolux / zanussi (which this one is) website. looks like most parts are available for it if we need, at 25 quid, plus 5 for next day delivery, it was far cheaper than a new machine

A Hozelock 2515 Sprinkler with 8 settings from Amazon £ 13.14 delivered to replace the one I have have had for nearly 25 years.That one started to show wear and tear a few years ago and I bought a cheap and nasty one from Screwfix which only lasted a few years at the most. I suppose its all about what you get is what you pay for so I hope this replacement is as good as my first one. I have tried it on two settings and it works well, I was pleased with the price including delivery....I must pop in past the local garden center a mile down the road to see what price they are retailing them at....since well they can charge as well as the Queens Cavalry ;D  ;D

P1050521_zps8a5ad91b.jpg

P1050522_zps0c816bfe.jpg

• Like 1

I never thougt if buying seeds cheaper at the back end time Tim. My late uncle was a director of the Aberdeen Royal Horticultural Society of Aberdeen and he joined me up. I rarely attended the shows and never the meetings but being a membe for £10 a year entitles you to getting Dobies seeds with 45% discount so I think that is a good deal.

Sounds an excellent deal Bill. I haven't used Dobie's seeds much, tend to use Fothergills or Suttons, Suttons are based down here in Torquay. Marshalls are good seeds.

Yes I think it is a good deal Tim plus Dobies send them direct to you in January or february. The society used to use Suttons and personally I think they were better but for whatever reason they have been using Dobies for quite a number of year now.

After looking for one for a little while I finally managed to find a decent second hand semi auto shotgun today, a nice Franchi Raptor 712. Looking forward to introducing a few pigeons to it at the first chance I get!

IMG_0844_zpsffc88302.jpg

• Like 1

Well she came from Redruth to Shewsbury with her owner then we picked her up and her she is at home

IMG_3362_zps36086a47.jpg

IMG_3363_zpsb5e97436.jpg

IMG_3364_zps8fe35d48.jpg

Theres a lot of work but with the 3" nearing completion it should make a nice winter project, for example the last picture is all the gears that are too be cut and those two boxes behind are the components to be turned down to make the running gear.

Another purchase this one from the Cheffins auction yesterday was this Lister D for the grand sum of £40, our second in the space of a year.

IMG_3365_zpsf0cca0b3.jpg

IMG_3366_zps81e2c8e3.jpg

Nice Franchi Gav, used to have one myself some years ago, it will definitely make the feathers fly!

You've got a nice bit of kit there with the steamer James, will very much look forward to your build reports. I have a few stationary engines also, the Lister D is well worth the money.

Went to our local little towns summer fair today with one of my tractors and there was a man and his wife with a stand selling all sorts of really good quality animal, bird and other wood carvings, all hand carved from Teak in Bali. I just had to bring this little chap home with me, meet my new friend Fred. He stands 32 inches high.

post-806-0-49598800-1376849772_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'd love one of those miniature traction engines, what a fantastic hobby to be involved in. :)

It certainly is, although I wouldn't mind a real one myself. Our 3" is now over 30 years old. Dad drove it when he was my age when a neighbour owned it, it then sat in his front room for 30 years and two years ago it was purchased by my dad. We have since had a new boiler made for her and the complete engine been overhauled. Now we have this 4" we wont reappear from the garage for three years we think ;D

Thanks Tim, the lister D after a quick tinker started and has a beautiful sound, it now starts on the first turn :) I must say I do like Fred a lot O0

Some stationary engines can be a bit troublesome, mostly the magneto but one with a weak spark can be made stronger by putting it in the airing cupboard for a week to dry it right out and that cures it more often than not. Running them at the right speed is quite important, difficult unless you've got the right bit of kit to set them up, I've got the kit to do that, it's a speed indicator, a clock like instrument calibrated in rpm on 3 scales, 100 to 500, 400 to 2000 and 800 to 4000. You put a little shaft with a hard rubber 'bullet' head on one of the pin shaft of the indicator and holding the instrument push the bullet head into the countersunk hole in the end of the flywheel shaft, you can test the speed and set it up on any shaft that has the countersunk hole in the end, which most do, I have taken this instrument to a number of rallies an set up many engines, the Lister D's run at 700rpm. I was lucky in picking this up from a car boot sale for £8 around 15 years ago, I saw one sold at an auction 2 years ago for £800 but it's so useful I'd never sell it. It's not terribly big, the dial is 2"1/2 but it's quite heavy.

post-806-0-39030200-1376949388_thumb.jpg  post-806-0-96904100-1376949415_thumb.jpg  post-806-0-27096800-1376949447_thumb.jpg  post-806-0-50556000-1376949471_thumb.jpg