Topics merged...thought I was seeing double.....or maybe that's the Stella Artois taking effect! I have this program on in the back ground. Enjoyable so far. :)

Well done David, didn't see the topic was already a goer!

Really great programme, might watch it again on the iplayer :)

Next one's about the fruit harvest. Nice to see that the numpty public is attempting to being continually educated by the BBC about where their food is coming from and what it takes to bring it to them and being presented by two people who know what's what and not actors who play farmers. I feel better paying my TV licence now!

Good point Tim, but I'm looking for a blonde that knows how to drive it as well, a sattelite can't move fields, put the header on and tweak the settings to get the full potential out of my new combine. If you read about most people say that you shouldn't drive the combine to what the handbook says.

More importantly I want to make people jealous of my combine and driver when they see the photos David will come and take of it :P

No, this is reality, no pretending and the statistics/comparison between this years harvest and last years has up to date been quite surprising, those crops that do better in a wetter season, as it was last year, have not done so well this year and vice-versa, grain tonnage is down but predictions for oil seed rape are up whereas last year it was opposite, what they call swings and roundabouts! Grain prices though are calculated on the World harvest and not just the total from individual Countries which determines the price of bread, it's complicated but grain is traded on the stock and commodities market and the price will depend on which Countries have had a good harvest and sell to Countries that have had a poorer harvest, the price is then higher, good if you're exporting.

Great programme I thought....although a disappointingly large amount of John Deere's featuring in the tractor stakes and not a single British made tractor to be seen. At least the potato harvester (I think) and grain trailers were British! 

There are no British tractors made now! JD tractors seem to be taking the largest share of the UK market now, overtaking all the other makes, I've noticed that around my area, where there was a smattering of NH, MF and a few Fendt's the green and yellow seems to have taken over. Local contractor just out the road has an older JD he uses as his 'donkey', hedge trimmer tractor this time of year, he has a couple of McCormick's and a big Case Maxxum.

BBC have done the farming community proud with these series. Shame it was only 3 parts and not more. They really did a fantastic job and covered all aspects of the crop. Both the camera work and the information given was very good, of top level.

The only downside was that (especially in the second part) the shots of the cereal harvest were a bit funny. One moment trailer and combine tank were full, second they were empty and third they were full again. I know it looks good from a directors point of view but it's not my cup of tea!

There was/is also another series aired on BBC (mud, sweat & tractors) about beef, cereals etc.. It's an older series that is being re-shown but still interesting.

There are no British tractors made now! JD tractors seem to be taking the largest share of the UK market now, overtaking all the other makes, I've noticed that around my area, where there was a smattering of NH, MF and a few Fendt's the green and yellow seems to have taken over. Local contractor just out the road has an older JD he uses as his 'donkey', hedge trimmer tractor this time of year, he has a couple of McCormick's and a big Case Maxxum.

New Holland assemble the T6 and T7 ranges in Basildon in the UK - employ over 1000 people and contributes 100s £ms to UK GDP. Obviously many of the parts come from overseas but they are still British made. 

The 3 programmes were very good, kept things straight forward and simple for the non-farming community to follow and understand. It was a little disappointing that meat production was not included, perhaps they thought that people couldn't handle that. Speaking of which, did anyone watch the series of programmes that were on a couple of years ago or so called 'kill it, cook it, eat it'?

I don't think it has much to do with the ecstatics of it Tim. Beef might not be on the top of everyone's mind these days (especially for tree huggers) but the program was about the harvest. With all due respect but you can't call beef cattle or a milking herd a 'harvest'. The cow farmers harvest goes on throughout the year and is not just some frantic few weeks during summer, which they tried to capture the atmosphere of during these shows.

I wouldn't mind at all to see a follow up with some more crops like sugar beet. I guess because it was aired in September they decided not to mention it perhaps.

its amazing how many people have no idea where their sugar comes from neils , most this way rightly assume and know sugar beet is for winter animal feed, has always been .  but none know its grown on a lot bigger scale else where in the uk and Europe for actual sugar

Archived