FORD 4600

As its been said before there's a lack of 3 cylinder fords in 1/32 scale , so thought  I'd make one ,( hope fully finish it over christmas)

its based on a UH 5000 and britains 6600 , 

first job was to cut a cylinder out of the 5000 , 

heres a few pictures for now , will post up some more later

post-2523-0-02378300-1418561188_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-29089000-1418561276_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-69605800-1418561322_thumb.jp

Smashing conversion. How easy is it to get the Britains Bonnet to fit the UH chassis?

Have you considered using the 36" wheels from the original Britains 5000, or the 14x30s from the Britains NH TN75 rather than the 38s?

The bonnet fits on fairly easy , just need to cut or file the plastic locators off on the underside of the bonnet and file down the sides of the diesel tank on the chassis

I did  think about using other wheels , but think these look better ,

the only thing with them is getting the single steps to look right as the tractor sits abit higher

Its looking good & as ye all know how much of a fanatic of the 4000 & 4600 I am. :laugh:  The 4600 & 4000 do have a shallower tomb stone than the 4 cyl Fords & the front axel is pushed out to the front alittle more than the 4 cyls. I see you have that done by the pics with the axel. Nigel Ford has 36 rears for the Fords and I used them on a my own convos being a 4600,4000 & County 4000 Four & the do look the business If you can get them. But they aint nothing wrong with UH 5000 38s ether, Alot of Antwerp built Ford 4600 & 4000 models had 8 stud rears as opposed to 6 stud like the Basildon Fords ,in which case alot of Antwerp built 4600's had 38 rears. 

Thanks for the comments chaps , 

as you both said the 36 rears would be just the job  , but I'd really like to use the bits that I already have , I was thinking of some kind of weight frame as on SPN's 6610 to hide the tomb stone , but I'll see what she look's like when I come to that , 

the tricky bit at the moment is fixing the cab to the chassis and making the 6600 cab interior fit properly .

Thanks for the comments chaps , 

as you both said the 36 rears would be just the job  , but I'd really like to use the bits that I already have , I was thinking of some kind of weight frame as on SPN's 6610 to hide the tomb stone , but I'll see what she look's like when I come to that , 

the tricky bit at the moment is fixing the cab to the chassis and making the 6600 cab interior fit properly .

If you have an Imber Ford 40 Series tractor....they came with a front weight frame option .. That weight frame ended up on my 4000 convo. OR use the weights from your UH 5000 . This 4600 has them weights.

1627__2.jpg

nice work so far, nice to see a smaller bubble cab ford being done ,on  the steps issue , I noticed on justin's pic the front cab frame is a lot lower in relation to the bonnet than your current one, maybe you can get a better look for them by cutting that out to match??? the few mm extra may solve all your problems without to much work

nice work so far, nice to see a smaller bubble cab ford being done ,on  the steps issue , I noticed on justin's pic the front cab frame is a lot lower in relation to the bonnet than your current one, maybe you can get a better look for them by cutting that out to match??? the few mm extra may solve all your problems without to much work

Well spotted Sean. Thats something I missed myself. But it seems the cab frames are also alot lower in the 66/7600 in relation to the bonnet too. So is this something that Britains got wrong with their cabs on these tractors.?? 

Well spotted Sean. Thats something I missed myself. But it seems the cab frames are also alot lower in the 66/7600 in relation to the bonnet too. So is this something that Britains got wrong with their cabs on these tractors.??

I couldn't tell you if the britain's ones right or wrong to be honest, that's another topic, I just noticed the front screen position in relation to the bonnet, sometimes the minor things like that can make all the difference when doing a convo or scratch build as I have found, you know its wrong but you just cant see it in front of you

Thanks for all the comments , as you say justin the 5000 weights will not look out of place , I also like the look of the frame in marks picture , 

so will have a play about with this when I come to that part ,

Thanks for pointing out the cab height sean , I think I'll cut it down to the right height as in the pictures ,I can see me having to use smaller tyres though but thats something else I'll have to play about with.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry mark , not much more to report at the moment , 

what with having family around for christmas and entertaining the kids , I havent spent as much time on it as I'd of liked

I have cut  the front of the cab out a bit to make it sit lower and found a way to fit the cab and interior to the chassis

will keep you up to date when more is done 

i

A little update on the 4600,

the front of the cab has been cut out , so it sits lower on the bonnet

made up an exhaust pipe from a uh 7810 with the top flap from a 5000 , and fitted a smaller air cleaner

altered the steps abit 

and fitted the front weights from the 5000

I think I'm fairly happy with what it will look like , just need the weather to cheer up so I can get the spray can's out

post-2523-0-44696600-1420218724_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-29534100-1420218889_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-49746300-1420218914_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-28399300-1420218944_thumb.jp

That's looking pretty tidy now , dropping the cabs made it just look natural. Is there much difference in the paint between the uh chassis and the britains bodywork ? They look identical in the pics

That couple of mil has made all the difference sean

as for the paint between the two, there is'nt much difference from what I can see , I just hope the blue I have for the bonnet matches the rest as I dont really want to do a full respray if I can help it .

This looks excellent. I think the wheels look right too. The only thing I noticed is the rear mudguards and rear window are different on the 46' to the 4 cyl's

cheers ' I did notice the rear window when looking at pictures on google of the 46's, nearly all of them are fitted with the window as in your picture ,

I did come across a couple with the same rear windows fitted to the 4 cylinder models though , so to keep it simple I think I'll keep the cab as it is

If you want a nice sharp decal for your 4600... try Henry Walker.. he done me a set for my own 4600 convo & I was very pleased with them.

cheers justin, I got my 8100 decals from him , and as you say they're very good , 

need to get a set and some number plates ordered

• 1 month later...

Finished the little 46 today , the decals from henri walker turned up last week and managed to get another coat of paint on the bonnet yesterday ,

have spent the last couple of hours putting it all together ,

I have to admit that putting the decals on is my least favourite bit of any conversion {bloody fiddley things }

all in all I'm very happy with it , will go nicely in the cabinet

post-2523-0-50330400-1423342649_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-47847900-1423342677_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-84033000-1423342736_thumb.jp

post-2523-0-44395400-1423342793_thumb.jp

Archived