Industrial Tractors and Yellow Tractors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lovely array of yellow machines there.. they certainly do stand out at a show. The industrial 135s or 2135s and 20Bs were fitted with dual brakes which was simply another drum unit alongside the existing but many may not know that the lift covers on industrial mfs of yesteryear were thicker than the farming counterparts, you can see it if you look under the seat, not sure why MF felt they had to beef them up as the normal lift cover was more than up to the job..  I also think I remember the council here at a time having the industrial versions of the IH 574 and 674, from what I remember they were called a 2400 and 2500 and I wonder if anyone can verify them numbers, the 574/674 handbook covers both models. The council changed them for MF in the early 80s and then eventually progressed to Nh L85 and L95 models and today they have still New Hollands but also a Class.     I think DB used drum brakes on the front wheels as opposed to MFs dual rear drum set ups

But the fastrac was designed primarily as a high speed agricultural tractor, it definitely is worth posting up here though as it's as yellow as yellow can be, in jcbs development of the fastrac they had to overcome the problems of having an independent suspension system but yet able to plough and grip in the field and in fairness they done a good job of what they set out to do, customs and excuse however really went to town here in Ireland on fastrac owners doing haulage work but using red diesel, lorry men hated them because they were in effect doing there jobs but at a lower running cost when you consider the cheaper insurance, tax and running on red diesel. I'd say they were the most successful yellow tractor in history Mark

B O R" post="564831" timestamp="1425022241"] customs and excuse however really went to town here in Ireland on fastrac owners doing haulage work but using red diesel, lorry men hated them because they were in effect doing there jobs but at a lower running cost when you consider the cheaper insurance, tax and running on red diesel

Rather a lot of P*ssed of tipped drivers across the country because of this I think. I was being told a story once of how I think it was in Cumbria the tipper and fasttrac drivers were in all out warfare attempting to ram each other of the road etc. How true it is I don't know.

The Northern Ireland water board 8210 looks very good. What TW would be used as the base model for one of them?

I'm really liking the tsa in yellow, always have a soft spot for yellow ones as my favourite childhood toy was the 1884 britains one. Do the councils in England run any yellow tractors now, the government in N I seem to out source most of the work now, even the water board out source there's to private companies, I never remember seeing much in the way or real yellow tractors tbh

Our council, Rochdale, does have its own tractors but there JD's painted in green just with a council logo on. I guess they will be some type of communal spec seems as they spend most of their time going to and from parks with a little Flemming trailer.

Cheers as well Mark, do quite fancy making one of them

• 3 weeks later...

Muir Hill, Yellow but not industrial however it was kitted out with a winch, from the rough condition I believe it was used for moving boats about beaches.

IMG_20140913_112038_zps2ndeq26n.jpg

IMG_20140913_132624_zps8hxa0vpz.jpg

IMG_20140913_112057_zps1zbgcdx4.jpg

This particular Muir Hill is now in the hands of a friend of mine, and will be restored. It was used along with two others for launching boats at Hornsea. I caught up with this tractor when it was there in 2010 whilst photographing a road run. :)

This particular Muir Hill is now in the hands of a friend of mine, and will be restored. It was used along with two others for launching boats at Hornsea. I caught up with this tractor when it was there in 2010 whilst photographing a road run. :)

From what I can remember it sold for silly money considering its condition although maybe there's abit of good tractor somewhere under the rust?

From what I can remember it sold for silly money considering its condition although maybe there's abit of good tractor somewhere under the rust?

It's not in the best of shape thanks to the environment it has worked in, but hopefully it will turn out to be a tidy tractor once restored. It does need a lot of work. :)

Archived