Highwood estates (Circa 1991)

bluegreen

Well Im finally ready too launch the retro 90s farm :)...............so why 1991?  Heres the background , firstly it caught that moment in time where tractor electronics and GPS systems were still in their infancy compared to today.  So it was more man and machine up against the elements, than todays computerized machine with satellite guidance system up against the elements ;D.

Also it was the time when all the major brands were making their most charismatic tractors ever, such as John Deere SG2 cabbed machines, Ford generation three  10 series /TWs  etc,  Massey 3000 / 3600s and early CASE Magnum and Maxuum ranges.

The Ford  models had been dominating the local farms all around even though the dealers Ernest Does were miles away, and Thurlow Nunn (MF dealer) was right in the middle, but they got little sales of 600s & 2000 series models...............JD were starting to make in roads on the local farms however, usually at the expense of Ford TWs and MF 2000s, especially with the 160hp 4450 tractor which did very well in 1987,88 I recall, and subsequently paved the way for 6000 and 7000 series machines to dominate by the mid 90s.

The MF 3000 and 3600s also were replacing Ford 10 series in the 100 - 150 hp sector. 

It was also the time I remember most fondly in farming times as I spent harvest 91 working on a Suffolk farm with JD kit, having worked on sugar beet harvests elsewhere in the late 80s.  I was no skilled tractor driver but In the four year spell leading up to 1991 I got to drive to a lesser or greater degree all of the following, several of which Im trying to incorporate on the Highwood estates.  

Ford 7610, 7810 and 8210.......JD4650, 4450, 3650, 3140, 2850, 2140.........MF290, 699, 2680, 2725, 3080, 3125, 3655

The one I enjoyed driving the most albeit fairly briefly was a brand new 1987 September delivery JD3650 on a "E" plate and I believe it was the first one sold by Blyth and Pawsey the JD dealers (Now Ben Burgess).  A beautifully balanced tractor that was superbly built and very comfortable, if not a little cramped.

My favourite tractors in general were MF3650, Ford TW15, JD4450 with the blue marque most liked :)

The farm I worked on in 1991 had an exclusive bedding contract with Newmarkets largest stud farm, which meant lots of small baling of both hay and straw using a Claas Markant baler behind the farms JD1085 Hydro4 combine. They stockpiled this straw in various old open barns and did three times weekly delivery runs by tractor and trailer (and telehandler ::)) to the stud farm throughout the entire year.

Model wise the retro farm has only become possible with recent releases of Ford 10 series and JD SG2 cabbed tractors by UH,Britains and Schuco so its really only now that I could have considered collecting a fleet of classics to fill the farm yard.

In the next post I will outline the acreage, crops and machinery that are part of the merged Highwood estates Farms 1991...............Fords had the majority share of business but JD were making their moves.

Highwood estate Farms is the result of a merger between two neighbouring estates.  One owned by myself (Highwood Farms) and handed down by generations of my family, it is largely arable with 1400acres in hand.  This is made  up of  1100 acres of combinable crops including Barley, Wheat, Rapeseed and Beans. Then we have 250 acres  of  Sugarbeet and 50acres set a side for hay.  Our land ranges from lightish to some heavier clay soils at one end of the farm, but mostly medium soils. We have a few 50 acre plus fields but a fair few of 5 to 20 acre fields as well.

The other part of the merger is the 800 acre Lidgate Farm, whos owner is retiring with no heir.  They still wish to own the farm but for me to run it in conjunction with my own under a long tenancy.  The retirement was forced a little earlier than the owner had intended due to health issues so the agreement for the merger was rushed through on January 22nd 1991, although the merger of machinery and man power would be delayed until after spring drilling had all been completed and a plan worked on.

Lidgate Farm also has Barley, Wheat, Rapeseed & Beans over 700 acres plus 100 acres of Sugarbeet. The land is medium to heavy and they have a lot of smaller sub 20 acre fields.

For 1991 we will be cropping  550 acres winter wheat, 150 acres winter Barley, 350 acres Winter Rapeseed, 150 acres Winter Beans.

................................................400 acres Spring Wheat,  100 acres Spring Barley, 100 acres Spring Rapeseed & 350 acres of Sugarbeet.

A total of 1800acres Combinable crops, 350acres of Beet and 50 acres for Hay..........plus whatever other hay we can lay our hands on in time for June baling. 

Both farms have plenty of machinery with our own farm having more newer kit than the neighbours.  We also differ on the make of tractors we run.  My farm is a long time user of Ford tractors, whereas Lidgates favour John Deeres.

My farm runs 8 Ford tractors currently and Lidgates run 4 John Deeres.............................We employ 5 full time operators and Lidgates 3  but with another retirement due shortly plus a departure, both farms will lose a man.  That leaves 6 men to operate the farm and Equine bedding enterprise full time with hired help at peaks.

I have decided to run a mixed fleet too keep both the Ford dealer DOEs and John Deere dealer Blythe and Pawsey on their toes with regard to tractor business ::)

My farm will therefore retain the following tractors,  Ford TW25.., Ford TW15, Ford 7810 x 2,  Ford 7610 2WD  & Ford 6410 

Lidgate Farm  will add to the fleet  their one season old John Deere 4755   which will effectively replace my old Ford TW35 ...1985  bubble cab tractor , the driver of which has just retired..........................an old 1984 Ford 7710 is also leaving the fleet.

Lidgates other three JDs are high houred 3140 models and one of these was set for replacement, with an order already agreed prior to the new farm merger, for spring delivery of a new John Deere 3650  115hp.  Due to the two drivers joining us from Lidgate farm both being staunch JD men, I have honoured the order and the tractor will be delivered later in April. The other 3140s will be sold shortly.

Due to us having many small fields a bigger articulated tractor is just not an option for us, but to increase our fire power a little we will be upgrading the six year old Ford TW15 for a second 150+hp tractor on August 1st as yet to be decided ::)

The merged fleet will be as follows:

John Deere ..4755........190hp.......August 1990 (H reg)............................Primary Cultivation..........................1 season

Ford... gen 2 TW25.......154hp.......March  1989 (F reg)............................Primary cultivation...........................2 seasons

Ford ...gen 1 TW15.......132hp...... August 1985 (C reg.............................secondary cultivation / combi drill....6 seasons..........Due for change in August

John Deere   3650........115hp.......April     1991 (H reg)...........................general purpose/ spraying................NEW

Ford.. gen3   7810.........100hp.......Sept     1989 (G reg)..........................."         "         "         "        "..................2 seasons

Ford.. gen2   7810.........100hp ......August  1987 (E reg)...........................Top work/ drilling / trailer ....................4 seasons 

Ford.. gen3   7610 2wd .100hp 4cyl  Sept   1990 (H reg)...........................Sugarbeet drilling ,Hoeing, Spraying ..1 season

Ford.. gen3   6410...........80hp 4cyl  Sept    1990 (H reg)...........................Straw and hay duties...........................1 season

Combines

Claas  108sl ..........17ft cut  .....220hp..Aug 1987 (E reg)......................4 seasons (Highwood farms)

Claas   98sl.............17ft cut......180hp  Aug  1988 (F reg).....................3 seasons (Lidgate farm)

Combines under review.

This topic will bring back memories. As you say, a great time when tractors really had some grunt and the e u emissions police were nowhere to be seen. Blythe and pawsey were a great firm, our local branches here in essex were taken over by tuckwells, and some of the staff from the ridgewell depot still work at gt dunmow where they were transfered to. I remember on our farm when our F registered jd 3350 arrived, we still have it, and it has clocked up 8900 hours and all it has had is a clutch and a set of tyres. It lives on the hedge cutter and rolls now but used to do all the ploughing, power harrowing and drilling. We had an opico turbo fitted at 350 hours so she pushed out 125 hp and she has a wonderful girgle from the stack when you rev here through the gears. One model that I wish could be made that we had on the farm back then is a 4 meter hestair bettinson tc4 drill. I still say that all the drills that are around today don't put seed in the ground as well as the bettinson or the massey 30 did back in the day. Look forward to future updates.

Thanks guys, I remember doing something similar to this when I was much younger but back then I didn't have a computer and the models weren't available either ;D

To be honest Ive done this to support the models Ive got and give them a touch more realism and identity. That way I wont keep changing the fleet every six months as I was prone to do with the modern day stuff :-.............................I wont be having a large diorama, just the MDF open farm yard........................As a young man I used to visit the local farms on a Sunday by way of driving past the farmyards and seeing what tractors were parked up in them :)............I enjoyed that almost as much as being in the field with them when working.  So instead of a out in the field working diorama, it will be machines parked up or moving about in the farm yard and reports from what they had been doing on here, with pictures of course.

Justy, I tend to go by the rated hp figures as opposed to the maximum power, otherwise the TW25 would have to be over 160hp, the TW15 over 140hp and as you point out the 7810s and 7610 at 105 or 103hp :)

No problem. They were just the figs on the sales brochures  or the official Ford power ratings . Your going by DIN HP I take it. 105 HP was serious power in a 4cyl Turbo in the late 80's tough. Pocket rocket.. Anyway enough on the power ratings. This project is a good one Phil. Looking forward to it.  ;)

April  on Highwood estates has seen the completion of the beet sowing, with all 350 acres drilled into good seedbeds at a steady pace as the weather allowed since March 27th.  A comfortable 30 acres a day was easily achieved with the 7610 2wd Ford and our 12 row drill.  The 7610s compact versatility in our smaller fields make it perfectly suited to the task.  We preferred to move the beet drill by a lowloader pulled by the little 6410 Ford as the Gilles Beet drill becomes a little unwieldly when folded for transport behind the 2wd tractor.

The 7610 and its driver will also be responsible for all spraying and hoeing of the beet crop throughout the next 6 months or so.

We worked down the land with both TW tractors dependant on availability as both had been doing some winter ploughing through Feb and March as well.

Just a few pics.

post-743-0-40198800-1428956629_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-68830500-1428956664_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-21847800-1428956750_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-62843500-1428956839_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-12136600-1428956905_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago the new John Deere 3650 was delivered to replace an older 3140........................the tyres look relatively narrow to me so the tractor will be paired up with a new sprayer which we are currently researching.  The current Chafer sprayer will be retained for Sugar beet mainly and run behind the 7610.

Ive added painted wheels, aerial, beacon, front weight and a numberplate on a new plate holder.

post-743-0-47815800-1430650790_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-57476600-1430650845_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-21435800-1430650883_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived