What will be the future of our hobby?

Niels

We had a couple of cracks of thunder yesterday morning and it rained heavily for about 4 hours giving us 15.3mm which will certainly save us for the time being, it hasn't rained here to any extent since the start of May. Friend of mine that works in the JD dealers Mason Kings at Chudleigh Knighton Kingsteignton, Sean will know where I mean, he said that it rained so hard that the drains in their yard could not take the water and it started running through the workshop and stores so they had to hook up a big slurry tanker and suck up the water as it got to the drain, he said there was so much water running that the tanker would only just keep up with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this as I only log on here once a month now just to see what people are talking about. I hope it reverts back to how things were around 12 years ago. There was a few models released for the masses, which everyone could buy easily, but then there were the more expensive scratch builds/rarer models which were harder to get, but when you got one it was valued so much more. I haven't brought anything in over 8 months now, not because of money, I just think the likes of UH have ruined the hobby for me. I have around 150 models on display and well over 600 in boxes stored which I never look at. It's sad as I think models should be looked at and loved, I was lured into buying "everything" for a year or two, but I think buying that many has ruined the hobby for me. I just cant work out if I "dump" all the boxed items and buy some limited random models, whether or not I will fall back in love with the hobby? 

Very good topic!! I've lost complete interest in buying new models lately!! Very recently a good model was £20 and was accurate maybe needing better wheels at most! Not its £40 and needs about a further 3 models to make it accurate, meaning most detailed models are costing £100 plus th botheration. Britans are the only manufacturer I've any respect for, giving a good price quality balance, Uh seem to have lost the plot! Name the last accurate model they brought out??

As for less people interested I don't think so, as a lot in ni are interested but work in better paid trades and the only way they get to farm is in models

Yes same here I've not bought as many models as I've done in the past, I making do with my present collection, just sorting through them now to see what I can change around on display.

I find that the new model releases are more expensive so I buy only the models I want and set a maximum limit I will go to and stick to it.

I collect mainly Britains UH Wiking , Replicagri, Ros and the new Siku tractors.

Have had a good read of this topic. It is an interesting read. I have been pondering for a while where the hobby is going. In truth I stopped purchasing models about 2 years ago with the exception of a very small qty where conversion wasn't required to make the model right. I think in many ways UH have led the downturn in the hobby. I see it as being similar to any similar situation. The market is now saturated and with plenty of poor quality vs. £ or € value in terms of quality and accuracy. I have been wondering if the small builder would be wiped out completely but this has not happened, however expectations of detail on scratch builds is higher even though people expect scratch builds to be the same price as a UH model which is simply not possible. 

I would welcome manufacturing coming back to Europe from China and look forward to that day. I would prefer to pay more for a quality product manufactured in Europe than simply provide more profit for a small few who manufacture in China. I see diorama builds on the rise (cannot be replicated by large scale manufacturers). I am not keen on Facebook and look forward to its demise in many ways. When I joined this forum there was a lot of variety of conversions and scratch builds which seems to have diminished in qty as the necessity to do them has been removed to a large extent by UH and such. Having said all of this I still enjoy my niche and very much enjoy building dioramas and will continue to do so for as long as possible. 

This is an interesting topic, with some valid points made so far. I thought it was just me who had slowed right down with the purchasing of new models, seems quite a few have. My purchases of late have been more inclined to older Britains from 60's 70's and 80's.

Can anyone in the trade comment on how sales are going, roughly speaking these days, and I wonder what their thoughts are.

I also think UH went too fast with many releases a few years ago, you seem to become blinded by all that's available, and end up buying less than when the releases are more limited. It's gone the other way now, and the leadtime of new models runs into years sometimes.

Strange really, ten years ago we used to moan about the lack of models available, I suppose it's all or nothing and the middle ground is where we would have been be happiest.

Hopefully my enthusiasm and interest will pick up again.

I don't want to bang on too much but most new releases are aimed at the continental collectors really so that's why I don't buy much new stuff,and you can't blame,uh,wiking,schuco ros,siku,weise,etc as they are bigger target markets than the u.k and Ireland,and we farm in different ways to them as well,so that makes us have different tastes in models too so we are a small niche market.

Nearly everyone on here has had an association with farming in some way, people that don't work full time on farms on this forum either work part time or have worked full time/part time at some point in their lives. The spread of the "agri business, contracting model" in the u.k has seen the labour force shrink considerably as small farms have packed -up and staff have gone. Now my point is this, the staff that have gone will be the ones that may collect models, but where will be the next ones to get the tractor bug? They won't come along as the farm and the jobs are gone. In 20 years time the few that are working for the big contractors won't be interested in a u/h Massey 590 or 699, 399 etc, they will want a model of their first tractor which will probably be 200 Hp plus. When I started work at 13 years old in my holidays for the farm that I still work on, we had these tractors,

Massey 178.

Massey 35x.

Massey 590 2wd.

Massey 135 and loader.

Ford 5000.

Muirhill 121.

Ford 7610 2wd bubble cab.

Massey 525 combine.

Claas senator 70 combine.

That was 1983, if I arrived on the farm today,

John Deeres= 3350,6920,6830,6125r with loader,6150r.

Massey 6465 with loader.

Jcb loader.

Claas tucano 320 combine.

Now my point is this, as a lad working now on our farm, as I get older would I have an affection for the first or second list? It would be the second list I think, and why wouldn't it be. People that are really interested in the evolution of farm machinery are the ones that collect over a tractors existence, I try to do this with my collection, as it amazes me how technology has made the humble fordson or fergie turn into a t7 or 6 series respectively. Then you have the collectors that like to buy what they use on farms now, and just get the more modern stuff, and that is o.k too, each to their own. Then there's the ones that collect the American and European big tackle, and there's some great collectors on here that do that.

What ever the cost of making models in China, they should be increasing their wages to staff, they are not a third world country and they are a good customer to British agriculture. We all expect a decent day's pay for a decent days work in this country, so why shoudnt it apply to everywhere else. We have had it good in Europe buying cheap goods on the back of slave labour in sweat shops in foreign lands for a long while now, but I think in the next 10 years you could see the balance of power changing.

I think with regards to where the next lot of people interested in the hobby will come from I think it will be people from a background like mine. People who have never lived or worked on a farm but have parents who have and upon hearing the tales of days gone by will be inspired and want what they're parents had, the best way of getting that being a few models here and there rather than spending half a million on a farm. Also as more and more people move to live in the country more and more children are being brought up around farming and seeing tractors passing their house on a daily basis triggering the collecting bug.I think that we won't see any more people starting to get into multi thousand model collections other than those who already have them and if we do see anymore it will be people collecting to showboat and not because of a passion about collecting, this is something that can be seen happening on Facebook a lot already.

I like the point made by Brian about more displays being made. I can see something more like the model railway movement happening were people aren't just happy having a highly realistic model but want something that looks highly realistic to display their well spent time, effort and money on. I think something like that could be great for the hobby and could see more and more ready to go scenery available leading to more and more impressive displays.

well James,your point about displays is valid,but in my opinion on this forum its all about little cliques,they view and post among there little groups,not all,but some,there is very little encouragement for youngsters who display,i hardly bother on here now,i post on a lot of dios,because its my favourite topic,but over half cant be bothered to do the same,my opinion

Some valid points lads, and James, yes people are moving to the countryside mate, that is true, but around here in Essex that means moving to a new "garden village" that has carved up 400 acres so 2000 other people can come to the countryside with you and help you settle in!!

I  click the like button a lot as it shows that I have read the post I don't always have time to sit and right out a reply but I do read most topics on here I don't do facebook etc but I now people that do but its not for me I don't think I am in a  group off only  posting to the ones I now but maybe I do I do try to give encouragement to the youngsters that I meet at shows and the young ones in my village as they all like to have a ride in the tractor/combine and often give them a hat or poster that I have picked up from a show ,also I have said before I am not a dio person now but a few years ago I had a 20 foot caravan with a model railway in it with all the buildings etc so I how what hard work it is to build so if I have the time when at a show I will have a look yes we need more people  to post on here but I for now have to go back to work hope this don't upset anyone as that is not my aim

thank you

Smithy   

well James,your point about displays is valid,but in my opinion on this forum its all about little cliques,they view and post among there little groups,not all,but some,there is very little encouragement for youngsters who display,i hardly bother on here now,i post on a lot of dios,because its my favourite topic,but over half cant be bothered to do the same,my opinion

Totally get where your coming from Paul and can see the frustration that it causes, personally I build dios in the aim to get as close as possible to real life, any praise for it is an added bonus. As far as replays go this forums not doing to bad, if you look at the Moira Farm and Construction forum your averaging a post once a week now even up to a month with no one replying. That's a forum that has largely been killed if by Facebook. The forum has 1500 members compared with its Facebook page that has 6500 members, yes that does mean there's a lot more activity but there isn't anything more in the way of good stuff, its largely just stuff for sale.

I think the like box is great, it allows more people to quickly interact, okay so there's not as many comments but looking at past posts the likes were just replaced by 'looks good' 'very good' 'that's great' and the 'like' tells you that while being easier for more people to say, but that's just my thought.

Some valid points lads, and James, yes people are moving to the countryside mate, that is true, but around here in Essex that means moving to a new "garden village" that has carved up 400 acres so 2000 other people can come to the countryside with you and help you settle in!!

That's very true, I suppose it varies across the country, here north of Manchester there isn't 200 acres of land suitable to build on without building everything on a slant. That means people round here moving into the country move into where the animals lived, before it became unprofitable to farm, in horrific barn conversions with the surrounding farm land either turning back to moorland or being used by the one or two farms still remaining. But in either situation a lot more people from non farming backgrounds are being introduced to farming and the machinery it involves, even on the TV now adverts show, all be it a glorified version of, farming that can inspire the next generation of farmers and collectors.

again James,spot on comments,im afraid facebook is a younger persons thing,or i think it is,but also to add,people are complaining about the amount of models being released,well surely people cant want to buy them all,can they? we are lucky that we have companys catering for everybody,high end detail through to basic toy models,and i have said before,if among all these new releases if there is one that stikes a cord with you,you will buy it,and you wont compain about that model being released will you,its just a case of being more selective,i have just had a severe thinning out of my collection,last model sold yesterday,so now ,all models i own i have drove or used in real life,with just a few that i simply had to have,the biggest question is future buyers,i personally think this number will shrink

again James,spot on comments,im afraid facebook is a younger persons thing,or i think it is

Going off topic slightly more on the Forum v Facebook topic but I also agree to an extent Facebook is a younger persons thing. The town where I live has its own Facebook group 'Discuss Littleborough' it is basically just a group of adults arguing like children about dog poo and wind turbines acting nothing like they would in real life because they're sat behind a computer or phone, I think it is at points like this the younger generation that have been born into technology understand how to act when online better than adults, not all but most. I have two separate accounts a personal one with friends and family on which is great for catching up with everyone then one with all the model pages and stuff and although it gives a great out reach across many countries of different scratch builds dios and new models its no where near as friendly or good as the forums. But I like many cant see Facebook being the future at all.

Going off topic slightly more on the Forum v Facebook topic but I also agree to an extent Facebook is a younger persons thing. I have two separate accounts a personal one with friends and family on which is great for catching up with everyone then one with all the model pages and stuff and although it gives a great out reach across many countries of different scratch builds dios and new models its no where near as friendly or good as the forums. But I like many cant see Facebook being the future at all.

Maybe the thing here is adapt the forum so that there are direct links to the best Facebook feeds so the user comes here rather than FB.

I agree FB is a younger style site. The problem is people dont come to the forum as their is more content on FB for modelers and it serves picture uploads better.

Therefore we need to adapt the forum to enable a live connection to FB feeds and enable easier and faster uploading of pictures I think.

Just my opinions

the main thing about facebook and the hobby is that it is easier accessed on a mobile phone as it has an app which allows you to upload full size pictures directly to the page whereas you have to upload to photobucket to have full size pics without having to click on them

I think with regards to where the next lot of people interested in the hobby will come from I think it will be people from a background like mine. People who have never lived or worked on a farm but have parents who have and upon hearing the tales of days gone by will be inspired and want what they're parents had, the best way of getting that being a few models here and there rather than spending half a million on a farm. Also as more and more people move to live in the country more and more children are being brought up around farming and seeing tractors passing their house on a daily basis triggering the collecting bug.I think that we won't see any more people starting to get into multi thousand model collections other than those who already have them and if we do see anymore it will be people collecting to showboat and not because of a passion about collecting, this is something that can be seen happening on Facebook a lot already.

I like the point made by Brian about more displays being made. I can see something more like the model railway movement happening were people aren't just happy having a highly realistic model but want something that looks highly realistic to display their well spent time, effort and money on. I think something like that could be great for the hobby and could see more and more ready to go scenery available leading to more and more impressive displays.

I have to agree to a point with both Chris and James, working as i do at a retail outlet which sells full size tractors i would like to say there is many buyers

and many collectors of all types.

There's mum who is looking for a child's birthday present sometimes with a screaming kid who also wants one, then its down to colour & price

next there's the farmers son who wants the model of what dad has just bought life size, why not what's another £30.00 to be thrown in the deal as i'm told

many times.

Then we have the Bin men , Utility engineers , who like what they see in the yard like a Quadtrac and want a model like it as to tell there mates they have sat in one just like the model. Then bring somebody back another day.

Then we have the Die hards like you all and myself must have the next model thats coming out like the Rowtrac or a new Blue, Different red , Green , Green & Yellow , Black or Whatever  colour takes our fancy but its a must have,

What,s more Healthy than to promote something we are all passionate about, every thing 

comes with a cost if you like a lot of it alcohol , smoking , golf in my case curry and there;s many more. I'm always amazed at the attendance of Chartres & Zwolle

and sometimes Spalding which i also like for Brochures.

I agree with other  Forum members the poor sods who are working for peanuts to feed our passion deserve better but until it change things will stay the same There are members on here who would have 100's more models than i and know a lot more about them but having read many posts i do agree to many come

out not authentic enough but for a to higher price, if these are aimed at the diehards i'm sure we would pay more for better Quality & finish just like clothing.

With a good strong pound we are in good shape to strenthen our collections i guess the manufacturers also know this. Being a avid Brochure collector i will just

say these also don't get any cheaper and i guess with digital around the corner there's only one way they will go maybe.

If this bore's you for that i apologise but i will remain passionate, Goody.

Archived