harvest 2015

weblet375

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David, hope you are keeping well.

Good pictures as always.

What did you think of the CR 10.90, looks a bit of a beast! what size header was it, (maybe wrong, but NH big headers seem to be mostly 6 sections - even though they are different widths - if that makes sense ??? )

regards.

Nice pictures as usual Malcy,  Did the drivers say why they've gone for CASE and not another Claas? ....................

The owner said the price had a lot to do with the price... The way he said it made it sound like it was all to do with price!

They are keeping the 580+ as they have bought another farm this year and will run both. After buying the new land I guess saving a wedge buying a combine would be appealing!

I didn't want to pry too hard but I still can't see how one large rotor can be anywhere near as effective as two concaves and two rotors like NH and Claas use in the large combines? 

/malc.

Did a bit more rape today, and was visited by Mr malcy p and his family. (Great to see you again mate). Tested some wheat this evening, a Miller called gallant, and it was 14% moisture, so we will be going into it tomorrow.

Great to see you too dude! We may be down again during the wheat harvest - it was a 170 mile round trip yesterday, but well worth it to see Hoss and you guys! :) We took 679 photos between us, so it must have been a good day!

Part one - Mann's at Braintree, a Dom 204 parked and Chris and the Tucano 320.

Part two - Lexion 780 and 760 TTs at Saffron Walden.

Part three - Unknown distant Lexion by A11 and Lexion 770 near Stowmarket.

Again, these links should work even if you don't use Facebook. More will be on malcp.com - eventrually!

/malc.

Now i dont   cover the area that the other lads do , so its mainly combines i find in my back yard , only 4 JD combines  out here & its the 1st time i seen this one due to her normally working on the owners  other farms out in Lincs .

post-2537-0-21564100-1438441121_thumb.jp

post-2537-0-19092400-1438441235_thumb.jp

post-2537-0-02168900-1438441316_thumb.jp

If you think about it, there aren't that many farms in the UK that clear 3000 acres plus of Cereals....................and up until New Holland introduced the CR9090 for the 2009 harvest, Claas had had the market for monster combines all to themselves!   But now all of the big 4 have combines that can clear 3000 acres on their own ,so farmers aren't limited in their choices anymore...................A lot still believe Claas are the best choice, but some are now going on price regardless of brand loyalty and CASE are the least complicated and cheapest too buy and maintain.

I fear that Claas are victims of their own success here in the UK, now that the euro is gradually declining and the pound is on the up..........................it must be very difficult for Claas to sell so many expensive 2nd hand Lexions that are sat up in their various dealers yards, with not enough potential buyers at the price Claas need for the machines to balance the books.  The east European stronghold for these old Lexions is exceedingly quite these days :-

CASE UK on the other hand wont have a large inventory of old combines weighing on their balance sheet and Axial flows are cheaper to make, so farmers like Keith Challen who broke tonnage records with Claas Lexions in the past wont be the last to see the advantage of switching to the Axial flow combines.

Hi David, hope you are keeping well.

Good pictures as always.

What did you think of the CR 10.90, looks a bit of a beast! what size header was it, (maybe wrong, but NH big headers seem to be mostly 6 sections - even though they are different widths - if that makes sense ??? )

regards.

Very well John and pleased to be out combine chasing again, thanks ever so much. Likewise hope you're keeping very well. :)

The CR10.90, the most impressive combine I have seen in action on my travels, what a monster. It was running with a 41 foot header. :)

The main combine contractor runs nothing but  NH combines mostly  the older smaller models with the smaller headers  , as many of the smaller farms dont do there own cutting any more  own  about here & theres still smaller sized fields to work  , the bigger sized farms of over 1,000 ac are all on Claas either 760 or 770 models.

The main combine contractor runs nothing but  NH combines mostly  the older smaller models with the smaller headers  , as many of the smaller farms dont do there own cutting any more  own  about here & theres still smaller sized fields to work  , the bigger sized farms of over 1,000 ac are all on Claas either 760 or 770 models.

Colin Martinson's fleet. Saw quite a few of his older TX combines being fettled a few weeks ago. Couldn't help but notice he had a Massey Ferguson Cerea combine sat in his yard too. :) 

If you think about it, there aren't that many farms in the UK that clear 3000 acres plus of Cereals....................and up until New Holland introduced the CR9090 for the 2009 harvest, Claas had had the market for monster combines all to themselves!   But now all of the big 4 have combines that can clear 3000 acres on their own ,so farmers aren't limited in their choices anymore...................A lot still believe Claas are the best choice, but some are now going on price regardless of brand loyalty and CASE are the least complicated and cheapest too buy and maintain.

I fear that Claas are victims of their own success here in the UK, now that the euro is gradually declining and the pound is on the up..........................it must be very difficult for Claas to sell so many expensive 2nd hand Lexions that are sat up in their various dealers yards, with not enough potential buyers at the price Claas need for the machines to balance the books.  The east European stronghold for these old Lexions is exceedingly quite these days :-

CASE UK on the other hand wont have a large inventory of old combines weighing on their balance sheet and Axial flows are cheaper to make, so farmers like Keith Challen who broke tonnage records with Claas Lexions in the past wont be the last to see the advantage of switching to the Axial flow combines.

theres more 3000 acre plus contracting units around us here in Essex than there is small farms these days. When I read your post it got me thinking and I instantly came up with ten farmers or contractors that cover these acreages. Two of them were 7000 acres each. One of our neighbours here farm in-hand and they do 3600 acres.

Not seen that David , i  ll see what i can find out , he does run Mf tractors  but only ever seen the NHs , did have a claas in last year  just for a few hours demo but they cost far more then the usally NH kit  he picks up , mind you they do repair work I think aswell ,  did end up well back behind an MF combine on the road coming past  his place so it could have been same one m8 as its miles to the next MF combine . ,  .

Going on to say as farmers sell up its  the big boys that are buying up the land & we have a good many  farmers working 4,000 + acres here in East Yorkshire , there s  still smaller sized farm but many are going into some form of contract farming . 

Its the same everywhere with the big farms getting bigger, but my point is that Claas do not have the big combine market to themselves anymore, the others have caught up!  So now its a price and back up situation, so looking forward Claas can only loose market share.  Their still number 1, but I don't see them holding Deere off for many more years.   JD make big profits every year and now have a huge advantage, Im not sure the others come anywhere close financially :-

Weve got three mega farms locally that each have three tracked S690Is, handling no more than 8000acres...................Claas would claim their 780tt  could clear that with two harvesters....................however the farms involved are happy with the extra firepower that three JD machines provide.

As impressive as the big Lexions and CR's are, I still get more of a "kick" from seeing a well kept 70's - 90's machine at work. As farming trends continue ever larger (not knocking it - as economies of scale dictate this is the way it has to be) - sadly over the next 5-10 years, I think there will be very few of these older machines left.... :-

Then JEP young man, can I point you to Harvest Day 11! :)

I'm afraid one Lexion crept in - and we just couldn't get into the field with the 108 despite trying (the trailer was running through an uncut crop of wheat) - but there is something there to give your a slight 'kick'!

/malc.

Oh dear, seen better days - Is that a runner?

There will be very few of them left, think the Mercator was only available here for a couple of years - 1968-70ish - (then superseded by Protector 4 & 6, - which later became the senator 60 & 70)

Keep rooting out these oldies Malc!

Took a few pics of a mega farm near Kings Lynn yesterday................they used to be Velcourts but not anymore which sadly meant the NH 9090s and CASE Pumas all went and the "German" owner has started putting his own stamp on the farm!

They still have  3 Quadtracs  including a new 580 and 550, 500 models and a two year old Magnum 370CVX.................but the rest is a sea of green.

This includes 3 newish  JD 8370Rs.....Just in case the farm needed a bit more power :of :of ;D

Then there were 6 various sized JD 6Rs.......some hired I suspect!

The three combines are predictably Claas with 2 x 780tt........41fts  and a loan 760 with 30ft.......................I couldn't get near enough too the harvesters in the rapeseed and will wait for wheat which is a few days off due to several hundred acres of rape to cut.

My favourite pic and the one bit of kit I was thrilled to see was the brand new Krampe trailer with silage sides on one of the 8370Rs ^-^

That's made my decision whether to buy Krampe or Rolland or a scratch build easy.

post-743-0-51336400-1438526539_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-44575200-1438526563_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-36072500-1438526585_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-47286800-1438526613_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-22607600-1438526638_thumb.jpg

post-743-0-70479100-1438526660_thumb.jpg

I was told the farm was owned by a German family by someone in the know...............................they kicked Velcourt out after 2013s disasterous rape harvest which saw 50% of the crop fail to grow due to lack of rain!   They are harvesting 7400 acres I believe although some of that is Sugarbeet............................lots of big flat open fields.

Oh dear, seen better days - Is that a runner?

There will be very few of them left, think the Mercator was only available here for a couple of years - 1968-70ish - (then superseded by Protector 4 & 6, - which later became the senator 60 & 70)

Keep rooting out these oldies Malc!

Not a runner I'm guessing, the header was in long grass on the other side of the yard.

However, I have a tip off about a pair of oldies for later this week... fingers crossed!

/m.

Yesterday's finds.... nothing too exciting.

Case Quadtrac 535 mole draining and a Lexion 760 in wheat here...

Lexion 770 in OSR and a night time Dom 98SL also in OSR here.

Back to work today but will be looking on the way home :)

/m.

Archived