My Collection

844john

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Great work again John... Hats off to you for keep pulling surprises out if the bag 🙂

Thanks Paul, I like doing something a bit different every now and then 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SirTainly said:

Again, awesome work! Good to see an 84 series, another one Dad had (re)design input on.

Thanks very much Simon, hope you don’t mind me being nosey but what was your Dad’s connection with IH?

2 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks very much Simon, hope you don’t mind me being nosey but what was your Dad’s connection with IH?

No problem, he was a design engineer with them in the late 70s until the early 80s. Initially he was working on backhoes, then got transferred to working on the tractors. 

29 minutes ago, SirTainly said:

No problem, he was a design engineer with them in the late 70s until the early 80s. Initially he was working on backhoes, then got transferred to working on the tractors. 

They would be the golden years I would think Simon, I always intend visiting Doncaster, but there was always something else happening, I finally got around to booking a tour and at the last minute it was cancelled as it was when ARGO pulled the plug

5 minutes ago, 844john said:

They would be the golden years I would think Simon, I always intend visiting Doncaster, but there was always something else happening, I finally got around to booking a tour and at the last minute it was cancelled as it was when ARGO pulled the plug

That's a shame, and of course it's a housing estate now. I have a memory of dad taking me in to show his colleagues his new son, but I'd have been less than 3 so it's a bit fuzzy! I do also remember drawing on ih branded paper for years as a child, dad must have brought a load home at some point for work, but then lost his job.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SirTainly said:

That's a shame, and of course it's a housing estate now. I have a memory of dad taking me in to show his colleagues his new son, but I'd have been less than 3 so it's a bit fuzzy! I do also remember drawing on ih branded paper for years as a child, dad must have brought a load home at some point for work, but then lost his job.

I’ve always wondered how IH would have fared if they’d managed to survive and avoid being bought up by Tenneco, it’s sad how they went from a world class brand to now just being a little badge on a red painted blue tractor 

17 hours ago, 844john said:

I’ve always wondered how IH would have fared if they’d managed to survive and avoid being bought up by Tenneco, it’s sad how they went from a world class brand to now just being a little badge on a red painted blue tractor 

Well I'd have been longing after new ones, rather than chasing ancient ones on eBay! 😁 I think though that changes would have had to have been made years before the bankruptcy and buyout. Dad was scathing about having some of the models built via Indian intermediaries, as he said those firms were then able to build tractors which competed directly with IH offerings in other parts of the world. I've no idea how much truth there is to this though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...