My Collection

844john

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

You learn something new everyday! That would explain why everything was drying with a flat finish yesterday while trying to paint in the constant rain. Unfortunately I wasn't looking for the weathered effect. Will give it another coat now the suns out.

Loving the Econ setup and as usual the outside shots set everything off beautifully 

Thanks very much James. I’m certainly no expert when it comes to painting, but we get enough damp days up here that I soon learned not to bother trying to paint then unless I want a dull flat finish, which to be fair it seem to more often than not now🤣

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, justy 46 said:

Great stuff again John... Like the repowered 6600...Maybe a 7610 engine in her.. Series 3... Take her up to 105 HP.... 😁

Thanks very much Justin, sounds like a good idea that😉

6 hours ago, Jack390 said:

The mill and mix is an interesting machine, I think I used one at work experience a while back,  the feed was bagged up instead, dusty job it was in the middle of July !

We used to be the same Jack as the mill and mix was in some old byres that you couldn’t get into with a tractor, so the barley and oats were angered into the mill, then once they were rolled and mixed with protein pellets and molasses it was all bagged up and led away in the link box. This is a more modern approach 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 844john said:

We used to be the same Jack as the mill and mix was in some old byres that you couldn’t get into with a tractor, so the barley and oats were angered into the mill, then once they were rolled and mixed with protein pellets and molasses it was all bagged up and led away in the link box. This is a more modern approach 😂

Yes much more efficient , can’t beat the smell of molasses 😋

• Like 2

We had a cheap-built mixer like that by Theakston Engineering (owned County for a short while, I think), took the top cover off so we could bucket the rolled oats/barley, minerals & "PRO-MAX" liquid feed (after progressing from molasses) into it easier from bins under the adjacent HUNT 10" roller mill.

The chain links occasionally broke (when machine full of course and winding itself up with bent slats) resulting in much straightening and welding after bucketing out all the feed and untangling,but at least with no top cover far more acessible.

So I found some "RUBIG" drop forged hardened link chain advertised in Farmers Weekly (long before intraweb...) and welded the slats to that, doing away with all the "stamped -out" link chain...problem cured.

We had another mixer at the other farm much more expensive that never gave any trouble, blue, but can't remember the make....though probably Batch Mixer • Alvan Blanch 2023 (alvanblanchgroup.com) had a roller chain and box slats rather than angle-iron of the Theakston.

• Like 3

Our Mill/Mix came in the form of a 16 ton Commer truck (TS3 powered) with the mill run by a Detroit of some form. You could hear it coming 2 miles away, but once it had sat in a closed yard for a couple of hours at full chat and done 20 odd tons of feed you never heard it leave...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, SirTainly said:

Looking fantastic! Wish we'd had a blue sky too. 😁 Nice to see the Valtra, reminds me on the in-laws one, although that is only a T150 iirc.

Thanks Simon, it didn’t last long, soon back to wet again. All of a sudden we’ve gone from being desperate for rain to looking like we’re going to need a boat if it doesn’t stop..just your typical summer I suppose! The lime spreading set up is based on a local contractor, he’s run Valtra’s on the lime spreader for years now

17 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks Simon, it didn’t last long, soon back to wet again. All of a sudden we’ve gone from being desperate for rain to looking like we’re going to need a boat if it doesn’t stop..just your typical summer I suppose! The lime spreading set up is based on a local contractor, he’s run Valtra’s on the lime spreader for years now

spreader wheels driven presumably for tyres to be on that way?

6 hours ago, NIGEL FORD said:

spreader wheels driven presumably for tyres to be on that way?

Some are and some aren’t Nigel, I believe it’s an option from new, yet they all seem to have the tyres facing forwards. Whether the drive wheel for the spreader unit engages better with them that way I’m not sure?