Weeks / MF 5 ton trailer

Starting to work my way through some of our gear here, so thought I'd copy our little feed trailer as it makes a good match for the 475. It's a weeks but made for MF and sold in their colours (although ours is blue, but I intend to respray it in Massey livery) Anyway, progress so far:

WP_20180114_16_57_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20180114_16_59_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20180114_16_59_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20180114_16_58_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20180114_16_55_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20180114_16_54_48_Pro.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Martin. No, the sides appear to be original to the trailer, but I know what you mean, I've tried to find some pics of what it would have looked like when it was new but no joy as yet, this is how she looks today

WP_20171207_10_02_30_Pro.jpg

4 minutes ago, mb86 said:

PS, l like your first choice of tractor better. ;)

We'll, I tried her on the 67 Martin but she just struggled a bit so had to resort to a red bonnet ( even if it does cover a perkie lump:o:D!)

8 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Yeah looks original to me too, she looks well looked after, all that's left of the one here is the chassis and the two headboards and tailgate. 

She leads an easy life in semi-retirement, lives inside and holds sheep cake!:D

2 hours ago, 844john said:

We'll, I tried her on the 67 Martin but she just struggled a bit so had to resort to a red bonnet ( even if it does cover a perkie lump:o:D!)

You need to utilise your right boot more. 

33 minutes ago, Fenside MF said:

top quality build as usual from you John,I've only done two trailers but they are the most enjoyable builds for me

Thanks Jamie, this is the first trailer I've done and I'm finding it enjoyable as well. Next trailer on the agenda is a Triffit 16tonner, I've already done the plans so looking forward to getting a start on it when I've finished this one:)

On 15/01/2018 at 8:31 PM, mb86 said:

Trailer looks great john so does the little Nash, really tidy. Are the sides a home made affair? The plus 40 of ours had two sections both the same depth. 

i have a brouchure for weeks in the folder and they sold several different lower and higher pannel sizes, i have certainly seen some mf ones like johns, but i guess you would seeing as weeks made them for mf 

36 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i have a brouchure for weeks in the folder and they sold several different lower and higher pannel sizes, i have certainly seen some mf ones like johns, but i guess you would seeing as weeks made them for mf 

I had a bit of a hunt through my brochures as well Sean, the lower panels on our trailer look to be what were used as silage extensions on the MF 20 trailer, so its got me wondering if ours started of like it is now, or as a drop side and converted at a later date. However, I can't see any signs of hinges ever being on the bed, and the back door seems to match the rest of the trailer. I think a bit more digging is in order!:)

I’ve seen a few like this too looks a similar sorta trailer to the old Weeks “Five Tunn” we had. But different head board braces. There must be allot of variations - I thought the silage sides on a few of them were mesh if I remember rightly on the little 3 tonners with wooden sides and bed. Got a few brochures here I can send pics of John I reckon they will be of some help mate  

1 hour ago, 844john said:

I had a bit of a hunt through my brochures as well Sean, the lower panels on our trailer look to be what were used as silage extensions on the MF 20 trailer, so its got me wondering if ours started of like it is now, or as a drop side and converted at a later date. However, I can't see any signs of hinges ever being on the bed, and the back door seems to match the rest of the trailer. I think a bit more digging is in order!:)

1 minute ago, mb86 said:

Front crossmember is different to ours too, it was deeper in the middle with weeks stamped in from behind

I’ve given up trying to even workout all variations of the 60s to 90s gear I’m interested in there’s to much. It’s a mind field. Over the years manufacturers have made so many slight variations. There is 1 machine I cannot find and that’s a 2 row wuffler they did make them but for the life of me I cannot find one !!!

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

You don't fancy making one of each variation then. :D

Was it still called a wuffler? 

I’ve done one of each variation just not done the twin row one. Yeah it was called a wuffler exactly the same just wider. I desperately want to find one ! I doubt I ever will they Say there like rocking horse...... I’ll settle for a lely cock pheasant for now, until I find that blooming wuffler ! 

10 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

I’ve seen a few like this too looks a similar sorta trailer to the old Weeks “Five Tunn” we had. But different head board braces. There must be allot of variations - I thought the silage sides on a few of them were mesh if I remember rightly on the little 3 tonners with wooden sides and bed. Got a few brochures here I can send pics of John I reckon they will be of some help mate  

Thanks Sam, that would be great:)

Archived