Siku 'renaissance'

CX820Joe

I have always had a soft spot for Siku models, in particular the McCormick TTX they did around 2009 - of which I still have 2 albeit with different bonnet decals to match a couple of tractors that were based at a farm near Oswestry.  The 5455 with loader complemented them at the same time (same farm had one of those two).  As time went on I started to favour better detailed models and the 2 McCormicks were the only Siku's I kept.  I bought various others over time but never kept onto them, but recently something made me buy 2 John Deere 6920's, then a 6210R and then a 7530.  Considering they are intended as toys, I am very impressed by them having let them pass by when first released.  I did once buy a Contractor special from Farm Models which consisted of a JD Forager, 2 6920's and 2 silage trailers (for 70 quid) but didn't like the Siku branding on the tyres or the lack of cab doors and never kept them.  But whilst they may not have doors still, the branding on the tyres has gone, and with a few tweaks there is definitely potential for a decent replica there, given how well Siku got the shape right.  I think besides from the front linkage and the wheels crying out for some yellow paint, the 6210R is a very good model, and the same goes for the 7530 - though it does have the dreaded steering knob.

These must have represented some of their best models, another really good one being the Case Magnum, and JD 8360R (remember Phil 'Bluegreen' doing some cracking conversions using these).  its a shame that they seem to have virtually given up on the Siku Farmer range now, and that some of the releases over the last few years lacked the quality they reached with the few mentioned above.  I realise thats a lot to do with their owning Wiking, but some of these more basic models do stand up quite well (in my opinion).  

Would be interested to know others thoughts on the direction the company has gone in, and their personal favourites.

Another point to add - I think I can honestly say the only issue I ever had with a Siku model was the pin fell out of a front linkage on one model (I think the MF 5455) but I was taking that off anyway.  They always seemed consistently well made. 

Like you Joe, I started my collection with a couple of Siku models, you won't be surprised at the Same Diamond and also the Iron 110 but I also had the JD 6920 and the MF5455 as well. I also have 2 versions of the Same 265, a model that was also badged as the MF9240. This was an interesting collaboration by the tractor makers but an awful model both in 1/32 as well as in real life.

When this forum started most of the posts were people doing various modifications to these tractors, especially the JD and I still think that remains their high point. I also like the Deutz Agrotrons but again, I am slightly SDF biased.

Looking  through my spread sheet I have 41 Siku models, almost all of which are packed away at the back of the loft, many of them are Spalding show models, I don't display them as they are too basic for modern tastes, we have all got used to something better and more detailed but, if all you want is a robust toy then Siku are, or were, the best out there. Always amazes me when I got to Zwolle and Sean and David will back me up. The Europeans still love their Siku models and the die hard collectors will be going round every stall with their little black books to see if they can find that elusive or unknown model.

not many in my collection either, just behind ou at 37 according to the spreadsheet mike,most are limited editions mind, as you say the euro guys are mad for them, especially on the saturdays at zwolle, amazing theres actually so many out there ,most we prob dont see 

I have a good collection of Siku tractors and really like them :)

Only reason I am selling most of mine is that they no longer have a place in my collection as it is mainly Class and Valtra based now, and I have filled up my available storage space so really need to cut part of my collection :) 

I will be only keeping some of the Valtra's and all my early classic tractors and some of the implements :)

I suppose Siku is to the Europeans what Britains is to us, almost a national institution when it comes to farm toys and no doubt many childhood memories are wrapped up in Siku toys for collectors on the continent. For me, it was the John Deere 6920 that got me back into collecting models, I suppose about fifteen years ago now, and I still consider it one of their finest models. I remember seeing one in a local agricultural merchant and thinking how much it resembled the real deal, this probably being about the time when the accuracy of many Britains models was at a low point in my opinion. How ironic now that the wheel seems to have gone full circle with Britains producing a run of very plausible models/toys, whereas Siku appears to have gone off the boil somewhat.

Very much so, i liked SIKU stuff years ago i had a JD 6920 but i gave it to my son years ago when i dispensed of my "modern stuff" but still have a Schluter stored away. They made some half decent models back then but i think companies like britains, uh and repliagri have overtaken them in recent years.

When i first started collecting Siku was my main interest, but as i've got older the quality has decreased in my opinion. My favorite two models though are the Siku 718 and Mccormick Hawk Hire ltd edition, both highly detailed models for Siku and a lot better than standard.

Archived